Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasonHAsher

Class 4A State Tournament

13 posts in this topic

This will be the 4A class tournament discussion. I have my sectional predictions below in bold. I have all the teams listed in each sectional and the host is bold on the far left. Let the discussion begin!

S1. East Chicago Central: East Chicago Central, Gary West Side, Hammond Morton, Highland, Lake Central, Lowell, Munster.

S2. Crown Point: Chesterton, Crown Point, Hobart, Merrillville, Michigan City, Portage, Valparaiso.

S3. Plymouth: LaPorte, Mishawaka, Plymouth, South Bend Adams, South Bend Clay, South Bend Riley, South Bend Washington.

S4. Elkhart Central: Concord, Elkhart Central, Elkhart Memorial, Goshen, Northridge, Penn, Warsaw.

S5. DeKalb: Carroll, DeKalb, East Noble, Fort Wayne North Side, Fort Wayne Northrop, Fort Wayne Snider.

S6. Huntington North: Fort Wayne South Side, Fort Wayne Wayne, Homestead, Huntington North, Jay County, Muncie Central.

S7. Logansport: Harrison (West Lafayette), Kokomo, Lafayette Jefferson, Logansport, McCutcheon, Zionsville.

S8. Noblesville: Anderson, Carmel, Fishers, Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Southeastern, Noblesville, Westfield.

S9. New Castle: Connersville, Greenfield-Central, Mt. Vernon (Fortville), New Castle, Pendleton Heights, Richmond.

S10. Arsenal Tech: Arsenal Tech, Indianapolis Cathedral, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central (Indianapolis), Warren Central.

S11. Southport : Ben Davis, Decatur Central, Perry Meridian, Pike, Roncalli, Southport.

S12. Terre Haute North Vigo: Avon, Brownsburg, Mooresville, Plainfield, Terre Haute North, Terre Haute South.

S13. Martinsville: Center Grove, Franklin Central, Franklin Community, Greenwood Community, Martinsville, Whiteland Community.

S14. East Central: Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Columbus East, Columbus North, East Central, Shelbyville.

S15. Seymour: Bedford North Lawrence, Floyd Central, Jeffersonville, Jennings County, New Albany, Seymour.

S16. Evansville North: Castle, Evansville Central, Evansville Reitz, Evansville Harrison, Evansville North.

Edited by MasonHAsher

Here are my 4A Sectional picks :

Sect. 1 - East Chicago Central

Sect. 2 - Merrillville

Sect. 3 - SB Riley

Sect. 4 - Warsaw

Sect. 5 - FW Carroll

Sect. 6 - Homestead

Sect. 7 - Mccutcheon

Sect. 8- Carmel

Sect.9 - Mt. vernon (fortville)

Sect. 10 - North Central (Marion)

Sect. 11 - Southport

Sect. 12 - TH North

Sect. 13 - Franklin Central

Sect. 14 - Bloomington South

Sect. 15 - New Albany

​Sect. 16 - Evansville Reitz

4A NORTH : MICHIGAN CITY REGIONAL

Game 1: Warsaw over SB Riley

Game 2: Merrillville over East Chicago Central

Championship game : Merrillville over Warsaw

4A NORTH : LOGANSPORT REGIONAL

Game 1: FW Carroll over Homestead

Game 2: McCutcheon over Carmel

4A SOUTH : SOUTHPORT REGIONAL

Game 1: North Central(Marion) over TH North

Game 2: Southport over Mt. Vernon(F'ville)

Championship game : Southport over North Central(Marion)

4A SOUTH : SEYMOUR REGIONAL

Game 1: New Albany over Bloomington South

Game 2: E'ville Reitz over Franklin Central

Championship game: New Albany over Reitz

4A NORTH SEMI-STATE : Huntington North or Lafayette Jeff

McCutcheon over Merrillville

4A SOUTH SEMI-STATE : Seymour or Richmond

New Albany over Southport

4A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP : New Albany over Mccutcheon

4A Thoughts : Tough to pick the North part since I haven't seen any of these teams play but it seems like Merrilville , Warsaw , Fort Wayne Carroll , Homestead , & McCutcheon standout the most & you can never count out Carmel . Should be a great Regional @ Michigan City with Merrillville & Warsaw possibly matching up in the C'ship with the 2 being in opposite brackets . In the Logansport Regional , if both teams survive , FW Carroll & Homestead could be a tossup . Believe Homestead beat them earlier in the season but I went with FW Carroll in the morning . I think the winner of the 2nd game between McCutcheon/Carmel would win that Regional . I went with McCutcheon to win it . I also went with McCutcheon to beat Merrillville in the Semi State to represent the North in the State finals . As far as the South goes , Sectional 11 may have one of the best opening round matchups in the State with Southport battling Pike who was the only team to beat New Albany & they did it on Southport's floor . I think the winner of this game should be in the Southport Regional championship game . I went with Southport for 2 reasons : 1.) being on their home floor won't hurt & 2.) they seem to be playing much better with some impressive victories here lately including a win @ E'ville Reitz which isn't easy to do . Didn't really know much about the teams in the New Castle Sectional so I just went with Mt. Vernon (F'ville) but they could get tested by Pendleton Hts or New Castle in the bottom of that bracket or whoever survives the top with Greenfield Central & connersville , who all have decent records . Sectional 10 far & away has to be the toughest Sectional in the State with 5 of the 6 teams with at least 16 wins . You could probably make an All-Star team with the players in this Sectional alone ! Any of those 5 teams would have a legit shot to win the State Championship ! I didn't know who to pick but just looking @ the bracket , Doug Mitchell's North Central Panthers looked like they got the best draw by far & I think they will take advantage of it & not only win this Sectional but win their morning matchup in the Southport Regional who I had TH North winning . The Championship Regional game @ Southport should be a dandy ! I had Southport facing North Central but even if it's Pike against any of those 5 teams with 16+ wins , it could be one of the best in the State ! Just because of the way their playing now & being on their home floor , I picked Southport to win this Regional even though they wouldn't be favored . I'm more familiar with the teams that should be in the Seymour Regional . This should be a great one as well ! New Albany would be the favorite as they are the #1 team in the State but they wouldn't be able to take Bloomington South lightly , who gave them a great game their 1st game of the season but more importantly for Bloomington South , they are playing their best basketball of the season with a nice winning streak going . New Albany got exactly what they needed the last game of the season , & that was a good competitive game against a Bloomington North team that is obviously capable but have struggled with only 7 wins this season . NA won that game 58-52 @ Bloomington North . That may have opened up the Bulldogs eyes just a little bit & they know they have a target on their backs & will get everyone's best shot including Sectional opponents Floyd Central & either Jeff or BNL . I just think that Romeo Langford & the rest of his Bulldog teammates have been waiting for this after what happened last year . I picked NA over Bloomington South in which I think will be a very competitive game & I also picked Reitz over Franklin Central setting up a Regional Championship with NA/Reitz ! This is a matchup of last years morning matchup in which I was there where NA got out to a 17-0 lead only to come up short at the end . NA could have handled the press better & defended the perimeter better but the officiating was very suspect . I'll give Reitz credit , they probably were the better team last year but I think NA is better this year & I picked the Bulldogs to get revenge & finally get over the hump in the Regional . NA would have a very tough time in the Semi-State no matter who they play if they get there . I actually have them playing Southport & it would be very tough to defend the inside with Brunk in there . NA's tallest player is Romeo @ 6-4 but I'm sure Coach Shannon would have a great game plan. I'm sure NA would like to get another chance @ Pike though . Anyways , I picked NA to win the semi-state which would probably be @ Richmond if its New Albany . I doubt the IHSAA would let a team play @ Seymour 3 weeks in a row ! By the way , how they consider Richmond the Southern part of the State or think its fair to have a Semi-State there , is beyond me ! Romeo Langford improved so much from last year & is having an unbelievable Sophomore season & I think if he can get some help , which he has for the most part , then New Albany will not only go to Bankers Life Fieldhouse , but they will win it over McCutcheon ! Will see how much I think I know ! LOL

Edited by NCRANGER

Should be an excellent and exciting 4A Tournament! I'd argue Merrillville, Warsaw, Homestead, Carmel, McCutcheon, FW Carroll, FW North and SB Riley could ALL potentially represent the northern part of the state, while Southport, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, North Central, Evansville Reitz, New Albany and Bloomington South could ALL potentially represent the southern part of the state.

Here's my shot in the dark at predictions:

Sectional 1: Lowell over East Chicago Central

Sectional 2: Merrillville over Crown Point

Sectional 3: SB Washington over SB Riley

Sectional 4: Warsaw over Elkhart Central

Sectional 5: FW North over FW Carroll

Sectional 6: Homestead over FW South

Sectional 7: McCutcheon over Zionsville

Sectional 8: Carmel over Guerin Catholic

Sectional 9: Mt. Vernon over Connersville

Sectional 10: Lawrence North over North Central

Sectional 11: Southport over Ben Davis

Sectional 12: Terre Haute North over Terre Haute South

Sectional 13: Franklin Central over Franklin

Sectional 14: Bloomington South over Columbus East

Sectional 15: New Albany over Jeffersonville

Sectional 16: Evansville Reitz over Castle

Michigan City Regional - Sweet 16

Lowell over Merrillville

Warsaw over SB Washington

Elite 8

Warsaw over Lowell

Logansport Regional - Sweet 16

Homestead over FW North

Carmel over McCutcheon

Elite 8

Carmel over Homestead

Southport Regional - Sweet 16

Southport over Mt. Vernon

Lawrence North over Terre Haute North

Elite 8

Southport over Lawrence North

Seymour Regional - Sweet 16

Evansville Reitz over Franklin Central

New Albany over Bloomington South

Elite 8

New Albany over Evansville Reitz

North Semi-State - Final Four

Warsaw over Carmel

South Semi-State - Final Four

Southport over New Albany

State Championship

Warsaw over Southport

Of course I'm biased in this! Hard not to pick my Tigers when they just finished with their best regular season record of 21-1. I do have some "upsets" in there that I am honestly not 100% on, but I do think Lowell is a team to watch from sectional 1 after they already own a victory over East Chicago Central and only lost by 5 points AT Merrillville about a month ago. SB Washington/SB Riley is a toss up in that sectional IMO. Plymouth could be interesting just because they host the sectional. I think Homestead is a team that is playing extremely well right now and would beat either FW North or FW Carroll in a sweet 16 matchup at Logansport. Carmel is a little bit of a wild card with their 14-8 record, but they have played arguably one of the most difficult schedules in the state, and I have a biased wish here that the Tigers could avenge their only loss to them in the Semi-State game :) . Honestly, my picks from the south are all based off looking at rankings, reading stories here and there on the teams. I'm biased towards Southport as they get to host both their sectional and regional. However, of the teams from sectionals 10 and 11, Southport, Pike, Ben Davis, Tech, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central, Cathedral and Warren Central could ALL potentially be the Southport Regional champion IMO. Those are some LOADED sectionals. Evansville Reitz and Bloomington South should be good challenges to New Albany and either could upset the Bulldogs, while New Albany very well could run the table and be the 4A State Champions.

Good luck to all teams in the state!

S7 & S10 are deep fields. I was not surprised to see Tech lose last night, but was very surprised at the margin and how quickly it got out of hand.

Not a HUGE shocker, but #2 AP and #9 Sagarin rated 22-1 Merrillville lost to Valparaiso last night in the first round 66-59 in overtime. Valpo is a good squad at 19-6 now, and they played Merrillville close on the road in their regular season matchup, a game won by the Pirates 75-71. Has to be hard for Merrillville players and coaches after going 22-1 in the regular season, only to be out the first round. Hopeful my Tigers don't suffer the same outcome Friday night against Penn and former Tiger coaching legend Al Rhodes. Should be an exciting atmosphere in Elkhart Friday night!

I was at Tech last night and LC just ran all over Tech. Was not really close, Walker's teammates could not do anything at all. Merrillville losing isn't a surprise to me but not something I thought would happen, knew Valpo had a chance though. It'll be interesting to see how the Michigan City Regional shakes out now.

Nothing truly of note from the games last night. I believe most, if not ALL, of the "Sagarin favorites" won their games. It did take Carmel two extra periods to put away Noblesville 42-36 in 2OT. Reading on the game, Noblesville held the ball for almost 11 1/2 minutes in the 4th quarter and first overtime. This is the second time in MY recent history of this tactic that the team trying to hold the ball ended up losing. Same thing happened the last week of the regular season when Carroll held the ball for around 5 minutes in the 4th quarter before losing to Warsaw late. While I can somewhat understand the tactic, you still have to put the ball in the bucket to score points and win the game.

Just throwing some interesting facts out there about the final "sweet" sixteen teams remaining in the 4A tournament.

*Of the 16 teams remaining, 10 are repeats from last year, including the entire Logansport and Seymour regionals. The 10 returning teams are:

- Crown Point and South Bend Riley in the Michigan City regional (who played in the regional championship last year)

- Fort Wayne Carroll, Homestead, McCutcheon and Carmel in the Logansport regional (exact rematches from last year. Homestead defeated Carroll, Carmel defeated McCutcheon and then Homestead won the regional over Carmel)

- The entire four team field in the Southport regional is new (last year had Richmond, Brownsburg, Pike and Lawrence North)

- New Albany, Evansville Reitz, Bloomington South and Franklin Central in the Seymour regional (different matchups this year. Last year, Franklin Central defeated Bloomington South and Reitz defeated New Albany before Reitz defeated Franklin Central in the regional championship)

3 of the 4 defending regional champions are still alive in South Bend Riley, Homestead and Evansville Reitz. Interestingly enough, NONE are the favorites according to John Harrell's website.

Chances of winning regionals:

Michigan City - Warsaw 43.9% , East Chicago Central 24.6%, Crown Point 20.1%, South Bend Riley 11.5%

Logansport - McCutcheon 28.2%, FW Carroll 27.8%, Carmel 26.1%, Homestead 17.9%

Southport - North Central 49.3%, Southport 40.9%, Terre Haute South 5.2%, Connersville 4.6%

Seymour - New Albany 37.1%, Evansville Reitz 21.7%, Bloomington South 21.0%, Franklin Central 20.3%

Original State Picks compared to now:

New Albany - 11.7% 10.5%

Warsaw - 10.4% 9.1%

North Central - 7.8% 23.7%

Bloomington South - 6.7% 4.0%

Southport - 5.5% 15.9%

McCutcheon - 3.9% 6.9%

FW Carroll - 3.9% 6.3%

None of the other teams left were in the "original" state picks.

Last year results from the teams that are repeats:

Michigan City Regional Championship

South Bend Riley 77 - 74 Crown Point

Logansport Regional

Homestead 59 - 57 Fort Wayne Carroll

Carmel 60 - 44 McCutcheon

Homestead 41 - 37 Carmel

Seymour Regional

Evansville Reitz 64 - 59 New Albany

Franklin Central 52 - 50 Bloomington South

Evansville Retiz 83 - 69 Franklin Central

The Michigan City Regional features the same four teams from the 2008 regional. Those results:

East Chicago Central 52 - 37 Crown Point

South Bend Riley 44 - 41 Warsaw

South Bend Riley 61 - East Chicago Central 60

Some more interesting things of note:

9 of the 16 sectional champions were the "favorites" to win according to John Harrell's site. Of the 5 who weren't favorites, they were the "second pick" according to his site.

Sectional 1: East Chicago Central 60.5%

Sectional 2: Merrillville 49.5%, Crown Point 17.8%

Sectional 3: South Bend Washington 35.6%, South Bend Riley 33.3%

Sectional 4: Warsaw 80.3%

Sectional 5: FW North 44.7%, FW Carroll 40.1%

Sectional 6: Homestead 38.4%

Sectional 7: McCutcheon 37.6%

Sectional 8: Carmel 29.2%

Sectional 9: Mount Vernon 49.3%, Connersville 26.9%

Sectional 10: Lawrence North 36.5%, North Central 27.8%

Sectional 11: Southport 32.9%

Sectional 12: Terre Haute South 40.2%

Sectional 13: Franklin Central 48.8%

Sectional 14: Bloomington South 79.0%

Sectional 15: New Albany 76.2%

Sectional 16: Evansville Reitz 47.4%

Now, posting more specifically about my Tigers, their regional should be interesting. Warsaw has one of the best scoring defenses in the state, only giving up 38.4 ppg while all the other teams score 63+ ppg. Here are the stats all compared:

Team Record O D Margin

Warsaw 23-1 52.0 38.4 + 13.6

SB Riley 22-5 72.3 60.7 + 11.6

East Chicago Central 18-5 68.5 63.3 + 5.2

Crown Point 18-8 63.6 56.0 + 7.6

Using the Sagarin ratings from the end of the season, Warsaw is an 8.31 point favorite over SB Riley and Crown Point is a 3.02 point favorite over ECC. Warsaw would be a 3.58 point favorite over Crown Point. My predictions:

Warsaw 58 - 50 South Bend Riley

Crown Point 67 - 64 East Chicago Central

Warsaw 50 - 45 Crown Point

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

Warsaw and South Bend Riley did not play each other this year, however, they do share 10 common opponents up to this point. Warsaw went 11-0 against them (twice defeated Elkhart Central). South Bend Riley went 10-2 (twice defeated both LaPorte and Plymouth).

The two teams South Bend Riley lost to of the shared common opponents were a 46-56 loss to Columbia City who Warsaw defeated 52-52 in 2OT and a 74-77 loss to Mishawaka Marian who Warsaw defeated 47-38 in OT.

South Bend Riley's lowest point total of the season was 46 in their loss to Columbia City. They scored 50+ points in the rest of their 26 games, including 16 times going for 70+.

Warsaw's high point total given up on defense for the season was 53 in their overtime victory over Fort Wayne Northrop. They have held 16 of their 24 opponents to under 40 ppg and only allowed 3 teams (Columbia City 51 in 2OT, Homestead 50, and FW Northrop 53 in OT) to score 50+ on them in the season.

What a clash of matchups that game should be!

Warsaw had 7 sectional champions on their schedule, going 6-1 against them. They defeated Columbia City, Homestead, Triton, Mishawaka Marian, Northwood and FW Carroll with their only loss of the season to Carmel.

SB Riley had 2 sectional champions on their schedule, going 0-2 against them. They lost to Columbia City and Mishawaka Marian.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

Well even if I am the only person updating information here, it gives me something to do on a Monday afternoon!

First, huge shout out to my Warsaw Tigers who advanced to the Final Four this weekend with one of the best basketball games I have ever witnessed in the Regional semi-final victory over South Bend Riley and then took control wire-to-wire in the night cap against Crown Point.

Also random note: I have never filled out a high school bracket before. I listed my picks earlier in this thread. Not that I necessarily picked anything too shocking, but I did have 9 of the 16 sectional champions correct, 5 of the 8 regional finalist correct (Warsaw, Homestead, Southport, Reitz and New Albany) and correctly have 3 of the 4 regional champions (Warsaw, Southport and New Albany). I'll go ahead and pat myself on the back :)

Since I attended Warsaw's games, I'll recap:

The regional semi-final match up between 23-1 Warsaw and 22-5 South Bend Riley was amazing (outside of the TERRIBLE officiating for both sides). Warsaw won the game 79-74 in double overtime. Senior point guard Paul Marandet had a career high 37 points, including going 21 for 21 from the free throw line! Junior guard (should be a Junior All Star Kyle Mangas added 26 points for Warsaw as they combined for 65 of Warsaw's 79 points. Riley opened the game up on a 13-2 run, then led 17-7 after the 1st quarter. Warsaw inched closer in the 2nd quarter, but still trailed 27-23 at halftime and trailed again after the 3rd quarter 42-37. Warsaw finally took it's first lead of the game 48-46 with 3:30 left in the 4th quarter, and from then on out it was back and back and forth.

I can't say enough good things about South Bend Riley. They shot 11 for 25 from 3 point range (and in regulation seemed to ALWAYS hit a 3 right after Warsaw would make a play to decrease the lead). Even though the Wildcats will lose superb senior Reontre Lawrence, I would peg Riley as one of the 4A North favorites for next year. Junior point guard Maurice Scott (Skylar Diggins brother) is a heck of a player and 6-6 sophomore Damezi Anderson is a bonafide D1 recruit.

Back to the terrible officiating, both teams had 6 fouls called on them a piece in the FIRST QUARTER. Riley ended up with 34 fouls in the game while Warsaw had 18 (it sure felt like it was more than that). It was truly unfortunate that the officials didn't let both of these teams play. With all the whistles added to the two overtimes... felt like one of the longest games I've ever witnessed.

In the regional championship game, Warsaw never trailed as they opened the game on a 10-2 run. Marandet scored all 10 of those points for the Tigers and finished with 18 points. On the day, he finished with 55 points and went 28 for 29 from the free throw line in the two wins. Kyle Mangas (held scoreless in the 1st half) then opened up the second half by scoring Warsaw's first 11 point of the 2nd half and also finished with 18 points. Both contributed on the defensive end as well where they held IU-bound Grant Gelon to only 9 points on 3-11 shooting from the field. All 9 of his points came in the 4th quarter when the outcome was basically decided. Leading scorer junior Sasha Stefanovic only had 3 points as Warsaw held Crown Point to 12-47 (25%) from the field and a horrific 4-27 (15%) from 3-point range. Warsaw had a 32-19 rebounding margin.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0