Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MasonHAsher

First Financial Wabash Valley Classic

59 posts in this topic

The all inclusive thread for the Wabash Valley Classic. I'll have game scores, top performers for the day, and my thoughts on individual players as well on this first post. In the posts below I will have top 3 scorers for each game and that is where the discussion will be as well. I will update posts with scores at timeouts and end of the quarters so those at home can follow the games.

Day 1: It was a good day of first games. There were not any really good games on the day besides the first game of the day as Cloverdale trailed by 10 in the third quarter but then Shakamak had a bunch of turnovers and Cooper Neese, a Butler commit, took the game over en route to his 36 points. All the others were decided by the end of the third with some decided at the end of the first. There are some really good players in the tournament and I'm excited to see if some of these kids can continue scoring at a high mark. I think that if Cloverdale and West Vigo both play four games then both Neese and Corey Vickers will beat the tournament scoring record. I also think that someone will beat the single game scoring record and I think that will be Jaylen Minnett. All in all though it was a very packed day, most people I have ever seen on Day 1.

Day 2: All of the games went how I thought they would. The only game that was not like I thought was the Rockville vs. Casey-Westfield game I thought Rockville would win by 15 or so but they won in overtime. Casey played a ton better than they did Saturday and impressed me a little. The inside guy, Corey Carver, really impressed me and if he were not such a good football player he would have a nice little career at a D3 school for basketball. Today I noticed that Linton is a little bit better than I thought they were and Rockville a little bit worse. THS is the real deal. I think that the final game could be closer than we think better THN and THS, no doubt in my mind it will indeed be those two teams. Tomorrow should be some good match-ups and not all should be blowouts. The 1:30 and on games all should be really good with the exception of South Vermillion vs West Vigo - that will be the only blowout I think. It's really hard to predict these match-ups for tomorrow and I'm excited for a day full of basketball.

Day 3: I thought overall it was a decent day of basketball. Saw some very good performances individually and some teams surprised me. The games tomorrow should all be very good especially the 3rd place game. Minnett balled out and scored 30 in the first half, but it was not the best performance I've seen, he left the building and scored a total of 35. Braydon Patton for Edgewood had a great game scoring 35 as well. I thought the officiating was very good, I like seeing them play. Everyone showed good sportsmanship, that I saw. Can't wait for tomorrow, should be packed. Come say hi.

Day 4: All the games were good on the day. There was a lot of talent in the gym and the games were great. Despite scores I thought every game matched up well and the Championship game was exactly what the tournament needed.

Gary E. Fears Most Outstanding Player :Jaylen Minnett (Terre Haute South)

Media All-Tournament team:

Josh Dieball (Linton-Stockton)

Quinton Hayes (Northview)

Jaylen Minnett (Terre Haute South)

Cooper Neese (Cloverdale)

Brayden Patton (Edgewood)

Keshaun Sandifer (Terre Haute North)

A.J. Smith (Terre Haute North)

Corey Vickers (West Vigo)

Josiah Wallace (Marshall)

Tanner Yeryar (Shakamak)

Top 3 scorers in tournament:

1. Jaylen Minnett 96 (Terre Haute South)

2. Cooper Neese 94 (Cloverdale)

3. Tanner Yeryar 89 (Shakamak)

Game 1 - Cloverdale over Shakamak / correct. Cloverdale 62 - Shakamak 60
Game 2 - Marshall over Edgewood / incorrect. Edgewood 60 - Marshall 50
Game 3 - Linton Stockton over Sullivan / correct. Linton Stockton 46 - Sullivan 34
Game 4 - Terre Haute South over Robinson / correct. Terre Haute South 75 - Robinson 36
Game 5 - Northview over Owen Valley / correct. Northview 57 - Owen Valley 34
Game 6 - South Vermillion over Riverton Parke / correct. South Vermillion 57 - Riverton Parke 41
Game 7 - Terre Haute North over Casey-Westfield / correct. Terre Haute North 77 - Casey-Westfield 27
Game 8 - Rockville over West Vigo / incorrect. West Vigo 74 - Rockville 48
Game 9 - Marshall over Shakamak / correct. Marshall 64 - Shakamak 50
Game 10 - Robinson over Sullivan / correct. Robinson 50 - Sullivan 46 OT
Game 11 - Edgewood over Cloverdale / correct. Edgewood 68 - Cloverdale 53
Game 12 - Terre Haute South over Linton Stockton / correct. Terre Haute South 79 - Linton Stockton 50
Game 13 - Owen Valley over Riverton Parke / correct. Owen Valley 89 - Riverton Parke 45
Game 14 - Rockville over Casey-Westfield / correct. Rockville 58 - Casey-Westfield 56
Game 15 - Northview over South Vermillion / correct. Northview 53 - South Vermillion 32
Game 16 - Terre Haute North over West Vigo / correct. Terre Haute North 73 - West Vigo 50

Game 17 - Shakamak over Sullivan / correct. Shakamak 57 - Sullivan 55

Game 18 - Casey-Westfield over Riverton Parke / correct. Casey-Westfield 59 - Riverton Parke 39

Game 19 - Marshall over Robinson / correct. Marshall 54 - Robinson 48

Game 20 - Rockville over Owen Valley / incorrect. Owen Valley 51 - Rockville 45

Game 21 - Linton-Stockton over Cloverdale / correct. Linton-Stockton 67 - Cloverdale 51

Game 22 - West Vigo over South Vermillion / correct. West Vigo 63 - South Vermillion 44

Game 23 - Terre Haute South over Edgewood / correct. Terre Haute South 89 - Edgewood 73

Game 24 - Terre Haute North over Northview / correct. Terre Haute North 64 - Northview 55

Game 25 - Marshall over Owen Valley / correct. Marshall 73 - Owen Valley 57

Game 26 - Linton-Stockton over West Vigo / incorrect. West Vigo 44 - Linton-Stockton 38

Game 27 - Edgewood over Northview / correct. Edgewood 57 - Northview 43

Game 28 - Terre Haute South over Terre Haute North / incorrect Terre Haute North 76 - Terre Haute South 69 OT

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Cloverdale defeats Shakamak 62-60 in Game 1. Predictions: 1/1

Leading scorers:

1. Cooper Neese (Cloverdale) 36 - 6th most in tournament history

2. Tanner Yeryar (Shakamak) 34 - 10th most in tournament history

3. Jalen Moore (Cloverdale) 19

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Turnovers kill... Shakamak committed around 20 turnovers. Good to see Tanner Yeryar have a big game... I think he is a hidden gem in the area.

Turnovers kill... Shakamak committed around 20 turnovers. Good to see Tanner Yeryar have a big game... I think he is a hidden gem in the area.

I had Edgewood at 23 turnovers to Cloverdale having 6. Lost the game for them. They shot over 50% while holding Cloverdale to under 40%. Edgewood also out-rebounded Cloverdale by 21. Turnovers were the deciding factor hands down.

Edgewood defeats Marshall 60-50 in Game 2. Predictions 1/2

Leading scorers:

1. Cole Cradick (Edgewood) 22

2. Brock Finkbiner (Marshall) 17

T3. Braden Patton (Edgewood) 13

T3. Spencer Shaffner (Marshall) 13

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Linton Stockton defeats Sullivan 46-34 in Game 3. Predictions 2/3

Leading scorers:

1. Tyler Meurer (Linton-Stockton) 17

2. Trey Powell (Sullivan) 13

3. Josh Dieball (Linton-Stockton) 12

Terre Haute South defeats Robinson 75-36 in Game 4. Predictions 3/4.

Leading scorers:

1. Jaylen Minnett (Terre Haute South) 19

2. Chase Mahurin (Terre Haute South) 13

T3. Matt Deady (Terre Haute South) 10

T3. De'Avion Washington (Terre Haute South) 10

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Northview defeats Owen Valley 57-34 in Game 5. Predictions 4/5.

Leading scorers:

T1. Drew Hyatt (Northview) 14

T1. Drew Lumsdon (Northview) 14

3. Braydon Tucker (Northview) 11

South Vermillion defeats Riverton Parke 57-41 in Game 6. Predictions 5/6

Leading scorers:

1. Mason Wiltermood (South Vermillion) 22

2. DJ McMasters (South Vermillion) 20

3. Caleb Dickey (Riverton Parke) 16

Terre Haute North defeats Casey-Westfield 77-27 in Game 7. Predictions 6/7.

Leading scorers:

1. KeShaun Sandifer (Terre Haute North) 13

2. Koby Riley (Terre Haute North) 10

3. Casius Bell (Terre Haute North) 7

**Terre Haute North tied the record for most points in a half. They had 51 in the first half as they got out to a 28-0 lead in the first 5 minutes. They are now tied with Hamilton Southeastern (2000) and Terre Haute South (2003).**

Edited by MasonAsher2014

West Vigo defeated Rockville 74-48 in Game 8. Predictions 6/8
Leading scorers:
1. Corey Vickers (West Vigo) 35 - 8th most in tournament history.
2. Jeffery Gooch (Rockville) 14
3. Dalton Laney (Rockville) 11

Edited by MasonAsher2014

The all inclusive thread for the Wabash Valley Classic...

Game 9 - Marshall over Shakamak

Game 10 - Robinson over Sullivan

Game 11 - Edgewood over Cloverdale

Game 12 - Terre Haute South over Northview

Game 13 - Owen Valley over Riverton Parke

Game 14 - Rockville over Casey-Westfield

Game 15 - Northview over South Vermillion

Game 16 - Terre Haute North over West Vigo

I think you meant to put THS over Linton in Game 12. Harrell says THS by 21. Will be lots of speed on the court.

Every game tomorrow has the potential to be lopsided; there may not be a game closer than 15. ...but it would be nice to see a few come down to the final possession, 1 game in particular.

I think you meant to put THS over Linton in Game 12. Harrell says THS by 21. Will be lots of speed on the court.

Every game tomorrow has the potential to be lopsided; there may not be a game closer than 15. ...but it would be nice to see a few come down to the final possession, 1 game in particular.

I did yes thank you. I think THS will beat Linton and I'm higher on THS and lower on Linton than most but I still think it will be a 20 point game or so.

Do you think West Vigo could give North a game? I think it's possible, but North might have too much depth. Northview could make it a game also.

Tim, yeh I think West Vigo could give North a game... but I expect Woelfle to force someone not named Vickers or Sappingfield to beat them. You probably know better than I if WV has a few capable??

Asher, agreed. THS looked really good against Robinson (the only game I've seen them play this year, but I watched them play Linton last year too). They have more speed and quickness than anyone I've watched play in years. I haven't seen all of Linton's games, but from what I've seen, they haven't got into any rhythm yet, but still only have 1 loss. They will have 2 tough games today and tomorrow so we should learn more...

Do you think West Vigo could give North a game? I think it's possible, but North might have too much depth. Northview could make it a game also.

I think Northview, Terre Haute North, and West Vigo are all very close and similar. I think Northview is a tad better than West Vigo but I don't really like Sappingfield all that much. West Vigo can definitely give THN a game but I think it will hinge on Sappingfield inside. Sandifer is better than Vickers so that will cancel out in terms of scoring but I think Sappingfield will hae to score 15+ to have a shot. Northview I think has the better match up with THN due to height. I'll dicuss more if/when we get to that game.

Tim, yeh I think West Vigo could give North a game... but I expect Woelfle to force someone not named Vickers or Sappingfield to beat them. You probably know better than I if WV has a few capable??

Asher, agreed. THS looked really good against Robinson (the only game I've seen them play this year, but I watched them play Linton last year too). They have more speed and quickness than anyone I've watched play in years. I haven't seen all of Linton's games, but from what I've seen, they haven't got into any rhythm yet, but still only have 1 loss. They will have 2 tough games today and tomorrow so we should learn more...

I agree with this statement, I think he'll have no problem with Vickers but may not have the height for Sappingfield. Sappingfield can get boxed out easily by guards though so it may not matter, he doesn't know how to use his body yet. I've seen THS twice and I think that they will have a big problem if they face a physical team. They run and run and run without any true 5 guy, or really even a 4. Linton vs Sullivan was not pretty, no rhythm but I can see if they get into one they will be a tough test.

Marshall defeats Shakamak in Game 9 64-50. Predictions 7/9

Leading scorers:

1. Tanner Yeryar 26 (Shakamak)

2. Brock Finkbiner 17 (Marshall)

3. Josiah Wallace 16 (Marshall)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Robinson defeats Sullivan 50-46 in Game 10. Predictions 8/10

Leading scorers:

1. Dylan Dirks 19 (Robinson)

2. Trey Powell 14 (Sullivan)

3. Walker Sandschafer 13 (Robinson)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

I am interested to see if WV can stay with North, but I agree that Nview has the better matchup. This is a different Nview team than in the past few years. They are bigger, more physical, and play together. If they can make shots against North (or West Vigo) they can win.

I am interested to see if WV can stay with North, but I agree that Nview has the better matchup. This is a different Nview team than in the past few years. They are bigger, more physical, and play together. If they can make shots against North (or West Vigo) they can win.

I don't think they can stay with North but we will see. Northview is the 3rd best team in the tournament I think.

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Edgewood defeats Cloverdale 68-53 in Game 11. Predictions 11/13.

Leading scorers:

1. Cooper Neese 28 (Cloverdale)

T2. Brayden Patton 22 (Edgewood)

T2. Cooper Bybee 22 (Edgewood)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Terre Haute South defeats Linton Stockton 79-50 in Game 12. Predictions: 10/12

Leading Scorers:

1. Jacob Clothier 18 (Linton Stockton)

2. Jaylen Minnett 16 (Terre Haute South)

3. Chase Dinkel 13 (Terre Haute South)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Owen Valley defeats Riverton Parke 89-45 in Game 13. Predictions 11/13

Leading scorers:

1. Cameron King 30 (Owen Valley)

2. Caleb Dickey 19 (Riverton Parke)

3. Jonah Arthur 15 (Owen Valley)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Rockville defeats Casey-Westfield 58-56 in Game 14. Predictions 12/14

Leading scorers:

T1. Corey Carver 22 (Casey-Westfield)

T1. Lance Hopkins 22 (Rockville)

3. Payton Chism 17 (Casey-Westfield)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Northview defeats South Vermillion 53-32 in Game 15. Predictions 13/15.

Leading scorers:

1. Quinton Hayes 17 (Northview)

T2. Dylan Hyatt 12 (Northview)

T2. Jensen Kellett 12 (Northview)

Edited by MasonAsher2014

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0