Sign in to follow this  
whynotus

SWIAC 2015-16

It's true, they came from Vincennes Lincoln. I don't know their talent level, but knowing Dalrymple's style, I would expect them to contribute and give the Cougars a good shot at winning sectional 63. They are a team no one can overlook year in, year out.

Congrats to BVS... signed his LOI yesterday to play DII ball in Illinois at University of Illinois at Springfield.

If memory serves me correct, BVS (Bl) is the first player to sign with a DII team since Dess Fougerousse (L) signed to play at Indiana University East in Richmond. The last SWIAC player to sign D1 was Austin Karazsia (L) at University of South Alabama.

For conversation sake, who will be the next SWIAC player to go DI? I'm calling it a tossup between Austin Robertson (L) (currently JUCO) and Josh Dieball (L).

Edited by basketballjones

Is there any reason to have signed a D2 LOI so early?

Robertson will probably get some looks.

It's really hard for someone Dieball's size to get a D1 offer.

I wish Brandon all the success in the world and hope it leads to an awesome senior season for him and the Cardinals. I think Eli Combs may be the next to possibly go next level, perhaps at a D3 school like Franklin, Rose-Hulman, or Manchester.

As for the next D1 player, I could see Robertson going first. Not to say that Josh can't do it, because he certainly can, but he has two years to build his résumé up and then that can be an option. Best of luck to Austin at Olney and to Josh Dieball in his junior year at Linton.

Josh has a motor and heart but let me ask this can he right now shoot the ball at a d-1 level or have the handles for it my opinion no. Also next level everybody is that athletic and fast more or less so those coast to coast blast through traffic buckets are almost none existent. Like the kid wish him well hope he proves me wrong just don't see it. Kid is almost a throw back with the way he plays with heart and hustle you got to like that.

Clay City's ranking proves that preseason polls are, for the most part, a joke.

Bloomfield's ranking is probably low in my opinion, but again, gotta wait till they start playing games. I expect the Cardinals to enter the GCI with only 1 loss (@BSHS). They won @Edgewood last year so I don't foresee the Mustangs beating them. BC lost their best player to graduation last year; they will be hurting without him.

Linton's ranking... who knows? Might be about right, but we'll find out soon. They likely play Cloverdale a week from Saturday, have a matchup @Barr-Reeve Dec 11, then play in the loaded Wabash Valley Classic, all before the first of the year.

Clay City's ranking proves that preseason polls are, for the most part, a joke.

Bloomfield's ranking is probably low in my opinion, but again, gotta wait till they start playing games. I expect the Cardinals to enter the GCI with only 1 loss (@BSHS). They won @Edgewood last year so I don't foresee the Mustangs beating them. BC lost their best player to graduation last year; they will be hurting without him.

Linton's ranking... who knows? Might be about right, but we'll find out soon. They likely play Cloverdale a week from Saturday, have a matchup @Barr-Reeve Dec 11, then play in the loaded Wabash Valley Classic, all before the first of the year.

Agreed! Though my surprise some but no way are they top 20 let alone top 10. Bloomfield is low and Linton just have to wait and see.

Edited by Eel fan south grad

Results from the JSeven Thanksgiving Shoot-out:

1st game (morning session): Linton over Fountain Central 66-21.

2nd game (evening session): Linton over Cloverdale 63-49.

Cloverdale beat Riverton in the morning session 83-17.

Fountain Central beat Riverton Park in the evening session loser's bracket 57-44.

In the Linton/Cloverdale game, Linton got in foul trouble early and had to play several off the bench. 4th man off the bench ended up being high scorer. 2nd high scorer was also off the bench. We're very deep and very quick. Not much heighth. Also, 2 of 8 football players understandably DNP.

Stroke   

[quote name="basketballjones" post="97229"

If memory serves me correct, BVS (Bl) is the first player to sign with a DII team since Dess Fougerousse (L) signed to play at Indiana University East in Richmond. The last SWIAC player to sign D1 was Austin Karazsia (L) at University of South Alabama.

For conversation sake, who will be the next SWIAC player to go DI? I'm calling it a tossup between Austin Robertson (L) (currently JUCO) and Josh Dieball (L).

IU East is not D2. They're a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

AROB has a shot. I don't see Josh as D1 player. Very athletic, but athletic kids his size who play hard are a dime a dozen. I don't mean to diminish his talents - he's a very, very good player at this level - but too many flaws at this time to be considered a D1 player. I can definitely see him playing at the next level, would be ideal for an NAIA school which is pretty good basketball.

The Miners travel to Clay City tonight to take on the host Eels. Both teams lost a lot to graduation, but Linton returned more than the Eels.

Who will win tempo? Clay City will probably sit in a zone or a sagging man to try and keep Linton off the rim. Wouldn't be surprised to see CC in a position to compete in the 4th quarter.

Joe Dieball defending Noah Denker will be a good matchup to watch... In the end, I don't see how CC will keep Linton's athletes in check.

Bloomfield at Shakamak tonight. I'm interested to see if the Cardinals' shots drop tonight and to see what kind of player Matthias Caucheteur is. He had 17 in his debut at South Vermillion last Saturday and it'll be interesting to see how he battles with the timbers Bloomfield possesses. The Cardinals need to keep the turnover numbers low and keep the pressure up in order to be successful tonight.

The Miners travel to Clay City tonight to take on the host Eels. Both teams lost a lot to graduation, but Linton returned more than the Eels.

Who will win tempo? Clay City will probably sit in a zone or a sagging man to try and keep Linton off the rim. Wouldn't be surprised to see CC in a position to compete in the 4th quarter.

Joe Dieball defending Noah Denker will be a good matchup to watch... In the end, I don't see how CC will keep Linton's athletes in check.

Linton looked good seemed that Joey called the dogs off at times. Dieballs looked good they can play defense. Noah had a good game not a lot you can say about CC except I think they will get better. With a good draw and a hot hand might be a spoiler in March.

Bloomfield looked like a well-oiled machine at Shakamak. Van Sant had the best game of his career at Bloomfield (32 pts, 12 rebs, 5 assists, 4 blocks), and Chris Gilmore had an outstanding floor game (10 pts, 5 steals, 7 assists). The Combs boys both had big nights and Skinner had an outstanding night as well. It was the kind of game where everything fell into place. I hope the Cardinals continue to improve and do what they're capable of this season.

GCI draw is being announced today... per the article in the GCDW, this year's tournament will be seeded. I'm assuming the coaches and/or AD's are voting??

My guess would be, seeded 1 through 8

Game 1: (1) Bloomfield vs. (8) WRV

Game 2: (4) Rivet vs. (5) Clay City

Game 3: (2) Linton vs. (7) North Central

Game 4: (3) Eastern vs. (6) Shakamak

The only seeds in question:

#1/#2) Will voters credit Linton's past success and give them the #1 over Bloomfield??

#5/#6) Not sure if CC or Shakamak deserve the 5 or 6. South Vermillion and Bloomfield are common opponents; SV was about the same margin and CC played Bloomfield closer than Shakamak, so I gave the nod to CC.

I think there are valid points made for either Linton or Bloomfield as the top seed. The Miners have won two of the last three GCIs (Bloomfield won the other one in a thriller in 2014) and are the defending champion. However, the Cardinals have the best record between the two. Both teams are coming off their most challenging game of the season, so I think either team is deserving of the #1 seed.

As for the Clay City/Shakamak seed, that's a tough call as well. The Eels are better defensively and the Lakers are better offensively, I guess it depends on the potential matchup. Should be a great GCI this year.

Linton went 2-0 for the weekend with wins over Shakamak and Sullivan. Both games were played without Pierce Jackson, but Tyler Meurer may have taken over the role as "best athlete" on the floor for the Miners. I'm not sure the Miners win either game without the spark he provided off the bench. That isn't to say there weren't moments the Miners looked to run away with both games. They cause so much chaos defensively, but sometimes we play into the chaos too. Free throw shooting is still suspect... Outside shooting is inconsistent, but with all that said... They will be hard to handle in that very physical 2A tournament.

Bloomfield struggled a little with WRV's slow down strategy but were strong enough for the win. Brandon Van Sant had 13 to lead the Cardinals despite having a case of the flu. WRV's kids play hard and give them credit for slowing down a high-powered Bloomfield offense. Bloomfield goes to Bloomington South Tuesday night and let's hope they're healthy and ready to compete.

Sign in to follow this