Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whynotus

SWIAC 2015-16

185 posts in this topic

It will be an interesting ride, no doubt. I like the crop of talent we have, and on paper, it's possibly the most talented we have been in close to 20 years. But you got to play and win the games, and the only pressure that matters is the pressure the Bloomfield kids put on themselves. I expect this team to do great things and I'm behind them 110%, this has the potential to be a season full of memories for us and I hope we live up to it.

I certainly will, considering the ups and downs of the last few years, I'm hoping for a special season...best of luck to you and all of our SWIAC counterparts.

From what I saw this summer, all the pieces Bloomfield has seem to fit. The Van Sant/Combs frontcourt should be able to hold its own offensively/defensively, and the backcourt by committee of Gilmore/VanDeventer/Skinner should be the most improved area of the Cardinal attack. Frederick, the younger Combs, and last year's JV MVP in my opinion Brennan Hughes should provide bench depth, and I'm not sure who will fill the remaining roster spots. I just hope we stay healthy and all the kids contribute in meaningful ways on and off the court.

OK, I don't know why you are all complaining of Bloomfield's Coaching... Even more idiotic is saying that Bloomfield played the wrong defense in the sectional vs Clay City...... Bloomfield is not athletic enough to guard Clay City man to man..... So would you rather play a zone and make them hit 3 pointers (Low Percentage) or guard them man to man, get Vansant in foul trouble and Bloomfield gets beat of the dribble and CC gets layups all day (High percentage)..... Should be a no brainier.... and as far as Britton Getting out coached by Joey, explain to me how Bloomfield beat them last year at LINTON without 2 starters (Luke Van, Zech Skinner) and in the sectionals when they had the twin towers (Dess, Austin) last time i checked Briton has a winning record vs Joey when he hasn't had as talented as teams as joey..... Im from the spencer area and i know joey and he told me this "You know what i don't like about play Bloomfield?? Briton is one of the hardest coaches to coach against". I have no affiliation with eather team but i managed to see lots of Bloomfield and Linton Games.... As far as Sectionals Bloomfield the heavy favorite, BUT the regional has potential to be the hardest 1a regional in the state.... All 4 teams in that regional will be state ranked in 1a. Hope for the best for all teams!!!!

1) Program building. Goes deeper than players or talent. Hart > Britton

2) Over the past 3 years, Linton has won 3 sectionals, 2 regionals and 1 semi-state. Bloomfield over those 3 years? Again, Hart > Britton. Adding on 2 more years worth of sectionals doesn't help your case either...

Per Harrell, over those 3 years, Linton has played in 17 post season games with a record of 14-3. Of those 17 games, how many do you think they were favored to win? The answer is 3. THREE!! They were favored to win 3 of their 17 games post-season games. South Knox in '13, North Knox in '13, and South Ripley in '15. Which means that 11 of their 14 wins were upsets. ...that has to be some kind of record as Harrell is usually pretty good. Their 3 losses came to #1 ranked Bowman in the state finals in '13, #2 ranked Clarksville in OT in '14 and to #1 ranked Park Tudor in '15... not to mention they came closer to Park Tudor than anyone else in 2A... How many teams have even played in 17 post season games over the past 3 years?

Has Britton had some success vs. Hart head-to-head? Yep. Is Britton a good game coach? Yeh, I would say so. I'm not sure why you were using words like "idiotic" and bashing the idea of Bloomfield playing man-to-man against CC, because that is exactly what Britton did and almost pulled the upset in doing so. I think the consensus is that he has a lot of talent there and the Cardinal faithful are ready for results. Much like when AK and Dess were juniors, just as BVS and Combs were this past year, sometimes it just doesn't click until their senior year.

To me the answer to why people are complaining about the coaching job at Bloomfield is pretty simple. The record just isn't that good considering the talent. 13-10 last year, with a 30 point loss to South Knox, a loss to a very weak Loogootee team, a 17 point loss to North Central, averaging less than 45 points per game, etc.... Plenty of reasons for folks to complain it seems to me given that historically there are few small school programs that can match the success of Bloomfield.

Briton is Building a program from the bottom up. Each year the defensive numbers have went up, the wins have kept going up and 3 or 4 years ago with little talent Briton took Bloomfield to the pizza hut and they beat #1 Rockville with a team that had no business beating them. As far as bad losses, everyone has them, South Knox was really good and graduated what like 7 seniors 4 started? And Loogootee is NOT a weak team. They have a lot of young talent and will be in the running for alot of games this year. As far as North Central i managed to watch that game, NC was hitting 35 footers with hands in there face most the night, the cards just faced a really hot shooting NC team that night and NC would've beat a lot of people if they played like they did against Bloomfield. As far as good wins Bloomfield beat Brown County by 12+ Brown County won there conference and its a big 3a conference. I do also believe Bloomfield has beat all 4 Greene county schools this year and last year. They have the county keg. The cards were not healthy for 3/4 the season last year. I think the Skinner kid was out for along time and missed most of the season. But as far as coaching is concerned let the kids play and the coaches coach. I think some people get carried away with the coaches. The players are the ones playing. I think the Swiac is full of great coaches with Briton and Joey at the top. Some of us get carried away with the coaching, more times than not the team with the most talent will win most games not all but most, and last i seen Briton has a really good record at Bloomfield with games decided by 4 points or less.

Edited by MrBasketballNerd

I disagree with the assumption that the 2011-12 team had little talent. They had four seniors that had to recover from the situation that had occurred at the end of the 2011 season and each one contributed to Britton's first team that had they been in 1A may have been in line for a possible sectional title that was the launching pad for Clay City's impressive four-year run.

Also, Bloomfield is notorious for taking teams that don't look good on paper and turning them into champions. It will be interesting to see how a Cardinal team that looks awful talented on paper performs this highly anticipated season.

Nope, that's one thing that Bloomfield has struggled with the last few years, in-game adjustments. I hope they spent a lot of time this "off season" improving their man to man defense, because zone only works so much. Speaking of zone, the Cardinals will probably see some zone played against them this year. I hope they're able to counter and adjust to the different tempos they'll see.

Here are my SWIAC predictions for the 2015-16 season. Feel free to comment, keep it respectful.

Bloomfield 19-4, 7-0

Linton 21-3, 6-1

Shakamak 12-11, 4-3

Eastern Greene 8-14, 4-3

North Daviess 9-14, 3-4

North Central 10-13, 3-4

Clay City 9-15, 2-5

WRV 3-21, 0-7

Here are my SWIAC predictions for the 2015-16 season. Feel free to comment, keep it respectful.

Bloomfield 19-4, 7-0

Linton 21-3, 6-1

Shakamak 12-11, 4-3

Eastern Greene 8-14, 4-3

North Daviess 9-14, 3-4

North Central 10-13, 3-4

Clay City 9-15, 2-5

WRV 3-21, 0-7

Just curious... any thoughts on the potential outcome of the GCI??? I'm sure you're anticipating Linton / Bloomfield at some point in the tournament (hopefully not on opening night, again) for the championship? Any thoughts on what happens if the teams play twice in about a 7 or 8 day stretch???

Also... is the field the same for the GCI again or is Rivet moving out???

Edited by basketballjones

I believe Rivet is still a part of it as of now. As for the GCI, I believe if it's Bloomfield and Linton in the final, the winner of the GCI won't win the season game. It's been like that the past two years and I don't see this year being any exception.

Cardinal... appreciate your efforts to make the overall and in-conference predictions. Wish I had time to do the same. Here's my $.02:

The top 2 teams are somewhat on their own level... Eastern is going to be the only other consistent opponent with Graham, Yoho and Hamilton... ND will have some good spurts... WRV will surprise some folks. The big kid (Rose, sophomore) is going to be a fundamental, strong presence who will replace Koenig better than people expect. The two Cornelius brothers, the wing York and Rose... they'll be competitive on their home floor...

1) Linton

2) Bloomfield

3) Eastern

4) North Daviess

5) WRV

6) Clay City

7) Shakamak

8) North Central

WRV and Shakamak are going to make some conference games really boring cause they're going to sit in a 2-3 zone and make it a meat grinder.

I don't know about 21 wins, but Linton has a legit shot at a sectional and regional... Bloomfield wins sectional but runs into a confident Wood team with good guard play at Loogootee.

Did they reconfigure sectionals so that the winner at WRV would go to Loogootee instead of Martinsville? Because I thought if Bloomfield was fortunate to win at WRV they wouldn't possibly meet WM till semistate at either Seymour or Southport.

If Tinley makes it to Martinsville and the transfer rumors are true they will be tough out along with JAC CEn Dal

It looks like potentially the strongest Martinsville Regional field in some time. Whoever comes out of 57 better be prepared to step their game up.

This will be a very interesting year for the conference outside the 2 favorites Linton and Blooomfield. Linton is my pick to win conference having the best coach and player (Josh Dieball) in the conference always helps. As far as comparison to Britton and Hart its not even a fair argument Joey is a way better coach and has way better coaches throughout the system and this is coming from a Bloomfield graduate. The biggest surprises in the conference this year will be ND and Shakamak. Coach Neill has the boys buying into the way he coaches and the players are having fun and like him much better than Brett, case in point with Braden Scott returning this year who didnt play last year and 2 move ins the Lakers will be improved. Here are my conference predictions.

1. Linton

2. Bloomfield

3. North Daviess

4. Eastern

5. Shakamak

6. Clay City

7. North Central

8. WRV

I'm looking forward to this season and hope all teams have positive seasons.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0