Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rikoo333

Loogootee Basketball

109 posts in this topic

I think for a lot of people (especially Loogootee people) a successful program is one you don't have really bad years at the varsity level (e.g. BR hasn't had a season where they won less than 11 games in 40 years) and also where every class in the grades and the JV has winning seasons - again using BR as the yardstick they rarely have a class lose more than a game or two. If you look down the road at ND the future isn't that rosy either. From a program standpoint (talent in the pipeline) ND is well behind BR and also behind Loogootee.

Again from the program perspective when is the last time a North Daviess non varsity team beat a BR non varsity team? Also what is the winning percentage of BR non varsity teams vs ND non varsity teams over the last 15 years?

As far as the 2002 game being close - that was a good coaching job, but it is also true that BR had its 3rd best player out (torn acl) and best player (Wilcher) had a sprained ankle. From my perspective the only real upset between the two schools in recent years was when BR beat the great ND team in 2005/2006 time frame. The year ND had Harbstreit, Joliff, and Nugent - I forget exactly what year that was, but that was a real upset to me.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess we will check back in 25 years to see if Dal has built a program. Lol. Agree with you on grade school stuff but if that truly mattered then ND would never beat BR at the V level. I would say BR is deeper than most in grade level teams but you only need 1 or 2 or 3 from each class to make a good V team. That is where ND catches up.

Again if they had guys hurt and weren't good then how did they make it to state in 2002?

The year was 2008 as far as the upset game you are talking about. Probably the only year I would say ND may have been considered a slight favorite. However checking on the Harrell site ND beat BR in double OT that year in regular season. So I don't see that as much of an upset as you do I guess. Again thanks for your time.

Edited by Spat Gninworb

Yeah - the 2002 BR team was really good, but not deep. Had they not had the injuries they might well have beaten Rossville (who was also very good). As you know up until the last couple of years winning sectional 63 was always the hardest step in getting to the state finals.

Just to be clear. I think coach Dalrymple has proven that in terms of picking the 12 best players in the high school in any year and coaching them that he is as good as anybody at maximizing their output. What is considerably less clear is that he is really good at building a 5th grade through varsity program that churns out good players every year. A lot of Loogootee folks want the latter type of coach. The main thing people had against Brett and Wagoner was they felt they didn't work hard enough on the "program".

Yeah - the 2002 BR team was really good, but not deep. Had they not had the injuries they might well have beaten Rossville (who was also very good). As you know up until the last couple of years winning sectional 63 was always the hardest step in getting to the state finals.

Just to be clear. I think coach Dalrymple has proven that in terms of picking the 12 best players in the high school in any year and coaching them that he is as good as anybody at maximizing their output. What is considerably less clear is that he is really good at building a 5th grade through varsity program that churns out good players every year. A lot of Loogootee folks want the latter type of coach. The main thing people had against Brett and Wagoner was they felt they didn't work hard enough on the "program".

Gotcha. There are only so many Albert Kavanaughs in this world. Coach has some very solid individuals at all grade levels. From 7th on down we may be a little better than you think. Our 8th finished runner up in SWIAC trny as well. I will quit hijacking the LHS thread and also quit sellling our coach.

As far as LHS is concerned I hope he's not what they are looking for. I don't think he will even apply anyway. Just my gut feeling from knowing some of the other coaches in the system.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have met coach, and would let him coach my kid any day

Agreed! Coach D a class act.

That is old news on this board. The man made a serious mistake and I assume paid the consequences. Doesn't make him a serial killer or a pedophile just a guy who made a mistake. Plenty of guys in the world who have done that. I'd let my kid play for him any day of the week.

I agree. Old news and people do make mistakes. Doesn't matter who you are or how high up the ladder you are. But I wouldn't let my son play for him. JMO

Just have my reasons, Sir. Don't want to stir up any trouble. But no, its not because of the drinking charge.

Thanks no problem. Wasn't trying to stir up anything. I work in the abdication field so things like that make me curious. Thanks again.

I don't care either way but I believe this charge was dismissed. He was not convicted.

You are correct. Matter fact the entire thing was dismissed without ever going to the courts. Bad mistake of which I am confident Coach will never repeat. Said he went to a Colts game with his wife and never imagined he would be over the limit. Lesson learned for sure. I'm sure a lot of us have been in those same situations. Doesn't excuse it but he is human after all.

OK. He was never convicted. That doesn't mean he didn't do it. The fact is he was arrested for OWI and plead it down to a reckless driving. Happens everyday.

I personally have lost a loved one at the hands of a drunk driver and I don't take it lightly. Yes he is human and we all make mistakes, but it is not a mistake to willfully drink alcohol and then knowingly get behind the wheel. It is a deliberate decision to disregard the safety of others.

Yes, he is a good coach and will help us win more games, but I think we can do better.

Just have my reasons, Sir. Don't want to stir up any trouble. But no, its not because of the drinking charge.

Poop is going to hit the fan one of these days. And it won't be pretty.

And I just typed 'poop'.

OK. He was never convicted. That doesn't mean he didn't do it. The fact is he was arrested for OWI and plead it down to a reckless driving. Happens everyday.

I personally have lost a loved one at the hands of a drunk driver and I don't take it lightly. Yes he is human and we all make mistakes, but it is not a mistake to willfully drink alcohol and then knowingly get behind the wheel. It is a deliberate decision to disregard the safety of others

Yes, he is a good coach and will help us win more games, but I think we can do better.

Now your saying things that are completely false. The case was dismissed. No plea deal, no fine, no ticket, nothing.

Don't believe me. Go to this public website and type in the name of the person and it goes step by step exactly what the process was. mycase.in.gov

I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilty? Guess if you are an arch rival basketball coach and people don't have any responsibility in what they say because they are identified only by their message board name, you don't get those same rights. Too bad. And in this case it looks as though he was innocent. False arrests happen all the time too GOAT. Didn't see this re printed in the Washington Times Herald. Wonder why?

Edited by Spat Gninworb

I was hoping this subject wouldn't come up. I suppose I could just keep quiet now that it has, but there seems to be some confusion and maybe some misinformation. Maybe I can shed some light on how this all works (or maybe not). My fear is that people will come up with some sort of sinister conspiracy theories about how he "got out of it".

Coach Dalrymple was represented by attorney JJ Paul III. He is nationally recognized as an expert in DUI defense. That is his speciality. If you get arrested for DUI in the Indianapolis area he is who you want to call. Obviously I was not in on the pre trial conferences or any other procedures but I am certain no one was "bought off". The fact is that to gain a conviction in a DUI case you have to have probable cause for the initial stop, typically you have to have a failed field sobriety test followed by a failed breathalyzer performed under proper procedures. To gain a conviction it also helps if the person arrested "looks drunk" on the video tape of the arrest. Since the case was dismissed some or all of these factors must have been missing. My guess is that he did fine on the field sobriety test, looked sober on the video, and that the breathalyzer was performed incorrectly. As an example the person doing the test is supposed to watch the person for a specified period of time to make certain he hasn't belched, because belching before taking the breathalyzer will make it show a higher concentration than what is accurate.

Bottom line is that a dismissal by the state indicates they felt they did not have admittable evidence to prove he was driving under the influence. There is no doubt in my mind that he did nothing different that what most of us have done (have a beer or two at the game - it's too expensive to have any more than that at a Colts game!) and then drove home. If some people want to think that makes a person unfit to coach basketball, well they are welcome to their opinion, but good luck finding the saint that fits all your prerequisites.

Well said taps. Let's let the LHS administration search for a list of good coaches and conduct interviews. As I have said before, I believe that LHS is in a good position to bring a good coach to Loogootee. It could be coach Dal or another coach that no one has mentioned. No matter what coach we end up with, my hope is that we let him coach and support our school. So LHS go out and find us a good coach and good luck.

Loogootee can't match ND in salary. Have heard a $15,000.00 cut and that is significant IF it is actually the case.

It looks like the Lions will dodge Barr Reeve for the next 2 years in the tournament since Barr Reeve is moving up. How does Loogootee stack up the next two years in the sectional w/out Barr Reeve and what does it look like down the road for the Lions if Barr Reeve returns to Class A?

It would depend on who takes BR's place in sectional 63 (if anyone). From a talent perspective I probably like Loogootee slightly over North Daviess with the other three schools behind them a bit.

Don't remember how many seniors rivet had but I'm pretty sure they beat both ND and LHS

I could be wrong, but I think they graduated much of their talent - specifically Anderson and Cummins. They have a couple of decent juniors back so they would be a contender next year anyway - but I still prefer the talent Loogootee has, especially Collins who I expect to be quite strong next year.

Edited by taps browning

I know this is a little off topic, but assuming Coach Hopkins doesn't return to Loogootee, does anyone see him coaching in the area next year? I saw Shoals recently posted their job.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0