Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrincetonTiger

Southwestern Indiana Basketball:Big 8, PAC, SIAC and et. al.

78 posts in this topic

What views are out there about basketball in Southwestern Indiana?

In the Big 8 Princeton lost their top 7 players to graduation but has the talent to still be a factor in the conference race although they will lack varsity experience. If the Tigers do falter that leaves Vincennes Lincoln, Jasper and possibly Washington as Big 8 favorites with Mount Vernon, Mount Carmel and Boonville playing spoilers

The Toyota Gibson County Teamwork Classic hosted by Princeton, Gibson Southern, and Wood Memorial could determine conference superiority since it will feature a top team from the Big 8, PAC, and SIAC

Jasper has most of their team returning, and should be as good as anyone in the Big 8.

Mater Dei struggles in their conference relative to how they typically stack up vs. sectional opponents.

While they may not reign supreme in their conference, will they compete for the 2A sectional Boonville (or whoever is hosting this year) sectional? I know MD returns a guard or two and maybe one of their bigs (could be wrong). Perry Central lost a lot and I don't know much about Forest Park, South Spencer, NP and Tell City...

Jasper has most of their team returning, and should be as good as anyone in the Big 8.

Jasper is probably the Preseason favorite since Princeton lost so much

In the PAC I would say heritage hills is the heavy favorite but after that it seems pretty wide open for the other 8 teams.

Jasper returns 5 starters and three varsity subs from the end of the year, the co-big 8 and sectional champions also had a JV that went 19-1

Heritage Hills is definitely the favorite in the PAC ! The PAC will be down compared to years past . After HH , it is definitely up for grabs .

Mater Dei should be a heavy favorite to win Sectional 48 this year @ Huntingburg Memorial gym with Perry Central losing a ton & South Spencer losing a lot . Forest Park has some capable players returning but don't know if it will be enough to knock off Mater Dei . North Posey lost quite a bit as well & Tell City will continue to struggle also .

Heritage Hills only returns two starters but the Seniors that are moving up from JV have been winners every year since middle school.

Senior class of 2015

7th grade 17-0

8th grade 18-1 ( Lost to one of the Castle teams )

Freshman 11-3 without 2 best players Gavin Schaefer & Tyler Ward who were part of a 19-1 JV team who only lost to Castle.

10th grade JV 17-3 again without Schaefer and Ward who were part of the Varsity's 1st winning season in years.

Last year JV 17-3 and Schaefer and Ward were Varsity other Juniors played mostly JV with limited Varsity.

Great athelitics in this class and players like Wilkerson, Sean Schaefer , Collins and Sabelhaus are a big reason the football team went from 2-8 to 9-1 in a year

and that leadership and physical play should be a asset in basketball also.

Also I believe another football player Zach Jones who played bball until last season might return this season, heard he played summer ball.

SS and HH will be huge rivalry in basketball this year!

Does it really matter?

HH vs SS= Princeton vs Gibson Southern

Edited by PrincetonTiger

I hate to be a downer on the Tigers but as a fellow Tiger fan, Princeton will no way compete for the Big 8 title and will finish very low in the conference in my opinion. As you said they graduated their top 7 scorers and the JV team was average. Not saying they won't win some games, but no way will they compete for a conference championship as last year

Princeton lost to Wood Memorial by 20 Tuesday

I was shocked by both the Pike and Wood scores, Not by the outcome as much as the margin of victory.

I was shocked by both the Pike and Wood scores, Not by the outcome as much as the margin of victory.

Princeton is not off to a good start

Princeton is not off to a good start

Heck of a start for Wood though beating two of the top programs in Southern Indiana with wins over Princeton Loogootee.

A big shout out to South Spencer also . They came from behind & knocked off , who I believe is the Sectional 48 favorite , Mater Dei in Evansville last night . Not an easy thing to do !

Mater Dei struggles in their conference relative to how they typically stack up vs. sectional opponents.

While they may not reign supreme in their conference, will they compete for the 2A sectional Boonville (or whoever is hosting this year) sectional? I know MD returns a guard or two and maybe one of their bigs (could be wrong). Perry Central lost a lot and I don't know much about Forest Park, South Spencer, NP and Tell City...

South Spencer lost 5 seniors, but went into Mater Dei last night and got the W. Down 15 early in third quarter quite the comeback.

Heck of a start for Wood though beating two of the top programs in Southern Indiana with wins over Princeton Loogootee.

Wood is doing great

Evansville central over gibson southern 63-62 in ot, first game of the year, gibson southern will win a lot of games this year. It's a whole different look and feel from last year.

PAC is wide open after tonight, Heritage Hills struggled tonight and were beaten at North Posey 49-40. Gavin Schaefer was in foul trouble early and spent much of the 1st quarter and part of the 2nd on the bench then later injured his ankle he would eventually return but struggled. Schaefer finished with 4 points and Ward 0 as the tweo experienced Patriots combined had just 4 points. Collins scored 16 and Becher & Sean Schaefer each had 9 points. Patriots fall to 2-1.

Patriot JV won 44-36 to improve to 3-0.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0