Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlwaysACardinal

SWIAC 2014-2015

514 posts in this topic

Also, would like to add from the Bloomfield/BR game, Brandon Van Sant played one of his finer games as well. He only scored 8 points but he was efficient on both sides of the ball. Eli Combs, Conner Dowden, Chris Gilmore, and Zach Skinner all gave solid efforts and they were a big reason why that game was as close as it was. BR has a great team and the folks down in Montgomery should be thanking God Almighty that they get to watch such classic fundamental basketball on a nightly basis. Good luck!

A couple observations from the Linton/CC matchup... maybe an idea on how to beat the Eels.

Handle the pressure... although the Miners had some moments for the most part they got into their halfcourt sets. CC can bring the heat in a full court press with their length.

Neutralize Singer... the Miners played a lot of zone, but Singer was not allowed to get many open looks. They faceguarded him the few times they played man. Singer was noticeably frustrated for most of the first 3 quarters. With that said he slipped after some turnovers and made the Miners pay.

Don't let Rogers spot up... he hit some big threes late, it for the most part the Miners closed out on him quickly.

Cesinger is their playmaker... you need to pick your poison here... let him get deep in the lane and score or allow him to dish to any of his teammates who can shoot. The Miners mixed it up by showing help then closing out on the passing lanes... the Miners were able to pick off a few of those passes. Problem with this... Cesinger is a big kid that can handle the ball... he'll out muscle a lot of smaller kids... put quick bigger kids. If you have a 6'3" kid that can move well, then he is easier too contain. By the way... love the way that kid plays. He may be the best overall defender... solid athlete, but his understanding of angles and where offensive players will go is top notch.

Great post GCC.It always seems how Logan goes CC goes.Without him dishing and rebounding I don't know where we would be.Trevor is always a factor at both ends with his length and speed.I think if Denker has a productive game and the Booe brothers get off to a good start we will be fine.

Great atmosphere last night fir the linton cc showdown. I would of liked to see cc push the ball early and the outcome would have been much different. As far as the map being witty that is funny! From where I was sitting the map was wearing stripes!

Sorry mvp not map. Austin looked good last night and is a great kid. Was wandering what the score keeper gets paid to do those games at linton? Is it volunteer?

the last 2 games has really been rough on the score keeper, you rarely have a call during a free throw, but we have the last 2 games.there has been a lot of confusion during some free throws, they can be fixed and it is not done on purpose but with people yelling and referees not being clear, this can be a rough job

Wearing stripes? I get it... it isn't a foul when CC slaps a ball handler across the arm, nor is the blatant pushing and undercutting happening underneath the basket. From what I could tell there were quite a few calls that went well for both teams... just like there were a couple that didn't go in a team's favor.

As for best player on the court... hard to argue Witty had a big night. Most important players... probably Josh Dieball and Cesinger. Neither team is as good without those two guys.

Clothier also had a quiet, yet huge night. He was aggressive when he needed to be and hit some threes as well. When Witty and Clothier play at that level, Linton is hard to handle.

It was also nice to see Joe Dieball continue to make strides toward a full recovery.

Wearing stripes? I get it... it isn't a foul when CC slaps a ball handler across the arm, nor is the blatant pushing and undercutting happening underneath the basket. From what I could tell there were quite a few calls that went well for both teams... just like there were a couple that didn't go in a team's favor.

What you said, Coach....

If the "Stripes" were "that big" a factor, then Linton wouldn't have lost at home to Bloomfield and Northview, now would they? ;- )

Linton's gonna play a physical brand of basketball....everybody knows that....just like 15 minutes can save you 15% on car insurance....

I like it when the refs let 'em play.....

I can think of a few places that are tougher to play at on the road than playing at Linton....

Re: the blatant pushing and undercutting - yeah, ARob does seem to have to endure a lot of that.

I never minded the pushing and shoving when I played - but I always hated undercutting, because it always seemed to happen when I was airborne.

alright. now that the game has been played and we have a few days before we play again, lets go back to all conference and player of the year lists.

Here's mine

Bloomfield- Combs, Van Sant

Eastern Green- Creager

Wrv-Koenig

Shakamak- Collins

North Central- Nikirk,

North Davies- Moore

Clay City-Cesinger, Singer

Linton-Robetson, Witty, Josh Dieball

Honorable mention

Bloomfield- Luke VanDeventer

Clay City- Evan Rogers

Eastern Greene- Trevor Yoho

Linton- Drew Witty, Joe Dieball

North Central- Austin Jewell Stanifer

North Daviess- Jaylen Lengacher

Really Stuck on POY I had it between ARob and Singer. but after the Looking at what Witty has done he made a push. and did any one realize that the two best

players on the court were Logan and Josh? Need feed back, really stuck on this.

Is POY a separate vote, or do they award POY to the individual who accumulates the most all-conference votes?

Regarding the CC / Linton game... excellent game by both teams. A couple takeaways...
  • Linton's backcourt showed up and they will be tough out if they continue to do so.
  • 6'9" was the best player on the floor
  • CC needs to keep #22 healthy for a deep run in March
  • All this talk about athletes... there were plenty on display, but Joe Dieball was on his own level in limited minutes (and he was playing on 1 leg... imagine him healthy).
  • Per the GCDW paper, Linton's JV finished 17-1.
I was impressed with the crowd and energy in the gym Friday night. The place was packed, including a lot of standing room only fans along the north wall.

Great game great crowd great group of boys on both ends. It was exactly what I kinda of expected rough and tumble got to love basketball like that. Ar had a good game but Witty played huge, kid has a nice stroke. Ar had 9 I think, 4 came against a sub, man that baby hook was nice and 3 were free throws. Which means he had 1 bucket against a starter, Logan did a good job on him. Young Dieball played the most under control that I have seen him play. Witty was the key as well as some others. Witty just killed it when he was supposed to. CC got killed on the boards early which is never good. Denker had 3 points which is the tell tale sign that Linton played GOOD DEFENSE ON THE ARC. Linton was the better team Friday. Good observations on the game guys. Singer still had 19 I think. Drew Witty player of the game no doubt, Singer POY. I normally don't post on the weekends. Like to wait till I get to the office on Monday. Bad calls on both ends no doubt but! Ah never mind lol. Man you got to like Indiana High School Basketball.

Edited by Eel fan south grad

At least Linton will have a few days to rest before their sectional game against the North Knox/North Central winner. Clay City and Bloomfield could very well be an epic encounter, but it also could be a prelude to the championship for the Eels. Either way, I just hope both teams play well and bring out the best in one another. I won't offer any prediction, but for Clay City to win they need to speed Bloomfield up and make them take contested shots and pressure them. For Bloomfield to win, they need to show the defensive intensity they showed in their loss to Barr-Reeve and ratchet it up a notch. If the Cardinals make adjustments, it could be an interesting game, but if the Eels counter with their own surprises, Bloomfield may have to wait another year for a chance to compete for a championship.

CC wants the game in the 50 and 60 range. Bloomfield wants it in the 30 and 40 range. From Taps post Bloomfield handled BR press that my friends could be the difference. Still look for CC to try and jump on the Cards early and keep jumping. CC must play better than the last time they played. This could be a very very good game, a game you don't want to miss.

With regards to Arob and scoring, he was double/triple teamed all nite as CC collapsed. Which is why the outside shooters got good looks. They picked there poison with the inside game, and forced the Miners make shots from the outside.

CC looked good though. Great players ....good bunch of kids. Wish them the best of luck in there sectional. They should come out of it on top.

Singer had 19, but that is misleading. He was shut down in the first half... he was noticeably frustrated. He had about two 2 minute spans where somebody else made a huge defensive play... he broke open and hit some big shots. I'm not sure he did much in the halfcourt. I think a lot of that has to do with the Miner defense.

As for POY, who are the guys a team has to revolve their game plan around slowing that player down. The next question is whether or not they just have to game plan around the player on both ends of the court. Here is my short list...

Robertson - every team has to account for him on both ends

Creager- my offensive POY, but his defense doesn't strike fear.

Singer- definitely needs to be take in account on offense, but he is surrounded by talent... that is where Cam surpasses him as an offensive player. Then again CC puts a lot of pressure on the ball... Singer is a big part of that.

Josh Dieball/Cesinger- two guys... same argument. Both make plays all over the court... both make their teams go.

Now I am going with ARob as my guy.

Glad to see Logan getting some play on the board. He does a lot of the little things and the big things. I'll go with Singer POY riding on Logan's back. No Logan no player of the year. Going to be a good game tonight.

That is the problem with Singer... I just don't see Singer as the POY because he is so reliant on Cesinger's playmaking and defense. He is still a good player... I guess the same argument can be made for ARob since he is a big man. That is the biggest problem with Dieball and Cesinger... they are so good at making their team go... can you say a guy is POY... if they aren't the Most Important Player on their own team. I need to stop... I'm starting to make a case for Creager being the POY without intending to.

Logan is the most important player on CC without a doubt. Just doesn't score enough for the folks in the press or the casual observer. But without number 22 CC record be a lot different.

That is the problem with Singer... I just don't see Singer as the POY because he is so reliant on Cesinger's playmaking and defense. He is still a good player... I guess the same argument can be made for ARob since he is a big man. That is the biggest problem with Dieball and Cesinger... they are so good at making their team go... can you say a guy is POY... if they aren't the Most Important Player on their own team. I need to stop... I'm starting to make a case for Creager being the POY without intending to.

Creager would be POY if his team had a better SWIAC record

Wow, great game last night at WRV. Bloomfield was down 15 at the half, but came back and got up 1 with about a minute left. CC ended up winning by 1 point. Heard a LOT of talk about the refs on Facebook last night, but I have no idea as I wasn't there. Just listened on the radio.

Talking about POY, think about this: which player changes the defense and offense EVERY possession, EVERY time up and down the court? Which player would you pick first to be on your team if you were building a team? For me, no question it's Robertson. You really can't look at who helped him get his stats. It's a team, everybody helps everybody.

Wow fellas what a ballgame. Tale of two halves. CC came out hitting on all cylinders playing CC basketball dominating the first half up 15 at the break. 2nd half Bloomfield came out of the zone and punched CC right in the mouth. Great coaching move and the Cards responded by playing great man on man defense. Their length and ability to block and change shots was key to them getting back in it. The Cards had it at the end but the baby face killer Evan Rogers sunk two free throw with 28 secs left. Bloomfield got an open look but was long and Logan Cesinger made one of the smartest plays I've ever seen with a behind the back falling outbounds heave to the far court to end regulation. Chinks in the Eels armor yes. Cesinger and Rogers were huge POG Cesinger no doubt and if he continues to play well sectional MVP if the Eels win.

Honestly they missed some on both ends. But I really thought the did a good job. They let them play no doubt. I'll say this if they would of called hand checks CC would of been on the line the whole second half. I admit we caught a break or two but Bloomfield did also.

Wow, great game last night at WRV. Bloomfield was down 15 at the half, but came back and got up 1 with about a minute left. CC ended up winning by 1 point. Heard a LOT of talk about the refs on Facebook last night, but I have no idea as I wasn't there. Just listened on the radio.

I am done with hearing people complain about the refs when they lose. There are 2 or 3 SWIAC fan-bases that, almost without fail, blame officials anytime they lose a road game. The refs have a tough job (and I think the IHSAA needs to implement some type of evaluation system for their benefit) and more times than not they do their best.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0