Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlwaysACardinal

SWIAC 2014-2015

514 posts in this topic

Okay looks like everyone wants to get a head start on the basketball season lol, so I'm going to go ahead and make my predictions close to two months in advance.

This is the way I think the SWIAC standings go (conference records, NOT overall):

1. Clay City

2. Linton

3. Eastern

4. Bloomfield

5. Shakamak

6. North Daviess

7. North Central

8. WRV

I think 2-6 could change easily depending on road wins and other things that come up. When we get closer to the season starting, I will make overall predictions.

If Clay City wants to make it to the State Finals, this is the year to do it. This has to be one of if not THE the very best Eel team I've seen since I've been around. They certainly have the tools and the swagger to advance far beyond the sectional and regional rounds. Linton is so well-coached, and they are riding high on the tails of back to back sectionals. Though they don't have Bryant Jackson, they are very well-rounded and having Robertson and Bedwell move in didn't hurt. Eastern seems poised to improve even more in Year Two of Jon Neill's tenure and I see a winning season in T-Bird Country.

The other five teams in the SWIAC have less to cheer about. Bloomfield lost its playmaker in Jared Myers, its top scorer in Kyle Robinson and two other seniors that were known more for their leadership rather than their stats. It may be a rough year in Bloomfield, simply because there is so much pressure on 6'6 junior Brandon Van Sant to explode statistically and if the other spots don't develop, they may drop farther than the 4 spot. Shakamak will be so much better than last year, and having Dylan Collins and Parker Green is a real nice way to start. Never count out a Steve Brett team. North Daviess should be an interesting team to watch, Dalrymple's Cougars will be very young, perhaps younger than he's ever had but they will be competitive no doubt. North Central could be better and should be better than this, but they haven't quite matured yet. The T-Birds need to start winning under new coach Donnie Stanifer. I can't believe I'm picking WRV last, but there you go. They have Jonathan Koenig back from last year and JV point guard Hunter Cornelius, but who else can help this team?

Hope it's a good year for everyone.

1. Linton

2. CC

3. Eastern

4. Bloomfield

5. North Central

6. North Daviess

7. Shakamak

8. WRV

My predictions pretty much follow suit with the others... 2 exceptions being I think NC will surprise a few folks and Shakamak won't improve as much as some others think. NC has the talent to compete with Eastern / Bloomfield for the 3 spot, but not sure they have the structure to pull it off in season. But I thought Dugger would surprise some folks last year and that was a far cry from what happened.

If Clay City wants to make it to the State Finals, this is the year to do it. This has to be one of if not THE the very best Eel team I've seen since I've been around. They certainly have the tools and the swagger to advance far beyond the sectional and regional rounds. Linton is so well-coached, and they are riding high on the tails of back to back sectionals. Though they don't have Bryant Jackson, they are very well-rounded and having Robertson and Bedwell move in didn't hurt. Eastern seems poised to improve even more in Year Two of Jon Neill's tenure and I see a winning season in T-Bird Country.

The other five teams in the SWIAC have less to cheer about. Bloomfield lost its playmaker in Jared Myers, its top scorer in Kyle Robinson and two other seniors that were known more for their leadership rather than their stats. It may be a rough year in Bloomfield, simply because there is so much pressure on 6'6 junior Brandon Van Sant to explode statistically and if the other spots don't develop, they may drop farther than the 4 spot. Shakamak will be so much better than last year, and having Dylan Collins and Parker Green is a real nice way to start. Never count out a Steve Brett team. North Daviess should be an interesting team to watch, Dalrymple's Cougars will be very young, perhaps younger than he's ever had but they will be competitive no doubt. North Central could be better and should be better than this, but they haven't quite matured yet. The T-Birds need to start winning under new coach Donnie Stanifer. I can't believe I'm picking WRV last, but there you go. They have Jonathan Koenig back from last year and JV point guard Hunter Cornelius, but who else can help this team?

Hope it's a good year for everyone.

Your right Cardinial this is the year. Won't be a whole lot following this group of boys. Will still be decent next year but nowhere near as talented. Linton will be a tough one but the Eels should be able to win that game. Just hope the Eels don't lay an egg come sectionals. No matter who they play in the Swiac the other team is going to have to be able to score. The Eels should have 5 players averaging double figures. Two players that will play big are role players Curtis Yocum and Paiden Meyers. Both will have to play well for a deep deep run. Looking forward to a great year in the Swiac.

Hmmm . . . I think Bloomfield will be a little better than Eastern this year. Shakamak, N Davies, and N Central are pretty interchangeable. Hopefully, Pigg can turn things around at WRV. Things are looking bleak as of now.

I give Linton a 25% chance of beating CC the first time. 85% or more the second time if they get to play them twice. (First being Gr Co Tourney if they should play each other).

Hmmm . . . I think Bloomfield will be a little better than Eastern this year. Shakamak, N Davies, and N Central are pretty interchangeable. Hopefully, Pigg can turn things around at WRV. Things are looking bleak as of now.

I give Linton a 25% chance of beating CC the first time. 85% or more the second time if they get to play them twice. (First being Gr Co Tourney if they should play each other).

You think playing at home gives them that much of advantage. Maybe, last time they played in that house man what a game looking forward to it again this year.

No i dont think home court is any advantage for Linton lefty is probably talking about Coach Hart's ability to make adjustments n prepare his team for a opponent that they have already played. Just ask Sullivan, South Knox and Bloomfield how that worked out for them last year.

Ok. I think we can agree that it's going to a good ballgame. I'll take the Eels with a 70% chance at Linton. No matter what Linton will have to score and run with the Eels and handle the pressure D. It will not surprise if Linton wins in a big way though. They are big and well coached. Clay City is small and well coached and will have plenty of shooters.

Clay City has the experience and Linton has an edge in the coaching department, so it's a very intriguing matchup. The Miners could steal it because it's in Miner City but I still think the Eels would win by around 7-8 points. EG returns everyone but Camden Sego, and that could help them get as high as 2nd in the SWIAC and have a strong GCI run. My question with Bloomfield this year is its guard play. They lost their playmaker in Jared Myers, and one of the lesser known returnees (Chris Gilmore, Conner Dowden, Drake Frederick, Zach Skinner, Luke VanDeventer) will have to emerge as a floor general and potential scoring threat. The Cardinals have size up front with Brandon Van Sant and Eli Combs, but they need to play big guy roles rather than stretch the floor by taking 15-foot jump shots. The top 3 in the conference (Clay City, Linton, and Eastern Greene) I think separate themselves from the rest fairly quickly, and teams like Bloomfield, Shakamak, North Daviess, and North Central are capable of upsets but may just wind up beating each other up.

Good post Cardinal. Though Coach VE is pretty dang good coach himself. I totally get what you are saying. From my previous posts you know I like Van Sant. Still think this kid is going to have a huge game against Clay City at some point ,just hope it is not when it really counts like in March. Cesinger, Singer, Rogers, Booe, and Denker are going to be tough for anybody in the Swiac to handle. Everybody can score and 3 of them got the green light from deep at all times. The other two can shoot a little bit also. I could see how Linton's size might cause problems but in the end I think speed, shooting and superior guard play will result in a Clay City win. Look for Logan Cesinger to have a big year along with Trevor Singer. Had them both doing yard work this weekend, my girlfriend had them moving these huge rocks. Those boys are strong and may have grown a inch or two. Thank god they didn't get hurt or we wouldn't be allowed in the Eeldome.

Edited by Eel fan south grad

Yes I do agree that Vance is a good coach, and for your sake I hope he is able to continue success after the '15 class graduates. I like BVS as well, I just want him to mature and breakout this season. In all honesty, he entered high school with more expectations than any player Bloomfield has had since probably R.J. Hughes. He went from 7 and 5 as a freshman to roughly 9 and 7 last year and I expected him to contribute bigger numbers than those, but he was on a team with strong senior leadership last year so he did have to cede control. Now there is no doubt this is his team, as he has the most expectations and is the most well-known of the Cardinal returnees. I don't think it's asking too much of him to go 18 and 10 this year, and if does less, Bloomfield will NOT I repeat WILL NOT win more than seven games this year and there will be far more questions than answers regarding his potential as well as the direction of the program.

As for your boys, I'm glad they are working hard and are not taking anything lightly. I like to see a team bond together and weed out any and all distractions, and that is what is sorely lacking in today's society. I'm sure it will be an exciting season in Eel Country and hope we can meet up for another sectional final and maybe this time, it will be more like the first two meetings of last season, rather than the way the final was last March.

Agreed!. I think in 16 Clay City will be more than competitive but will be down. Clay city has a heck of a freshman coming up in Brigham Booe kid can play. He will fit nicely with Denker, Wolfe and Strauch? in 16. Brigham will very likely see a little varsity run this year even though minutes will be hard to come by. I'm so ready for November.

Edited by Eel fan south grad

I think we all are ready for November, but we got to get through the remainder of the fall sports schedule. I'm sitting here wishing the SWIAC had more schools with tennis programs, because in reality Bloomfield and North Daviess have historically been the cream of the local crop. It would be fun to see that as a possibility in years to come.

Clay City courts face the wrong way from what I've been told or something to that fact.lol That what I was told when I asked why no tennis.

Hmm interesting, I wonder if anyone wants to try and start up a program there. It's a great sport, which brings me to my next point. I'm sure you've heard about how Bloomfield is building their new "athletic complex" south of town on 231, and there will be six new courts for the school to use. I'm not a big fan of this expansion, largely because it is so far away from the school and they should have worked with the community to provide better facilities around the school. Granted, available land is hard to come by, but I wanted the "administration" to try and make better use of the land we do have and make it work for all parties. This day and age, it seems like this happens more often than not.

Seems a bit odd to build so far away from school. But new is new the kids will benefit from it in the future.

My grief with the thing was that the current Bloomfield High School (built in 1985) hasn't been paid off yet. My thinking is at some point they are going to build a HS out there in the next few years. I'm a firm athletic supporter of all things Bloomfield, but academics are #1 priority and I think BHS needed to bolster its academics rather than build this at this time. Again just my opinion on the matter.

Any of you guys know when the draw for the GPT is, want to make sure to schedule my clients around the games. TKS.

Some darn good teams in the Graber this year. This is high-class basketball with high stakes, and it will be interesting who comes out of there as the champion. Personally, I think it has overtaken the Wabash Valley Classic as the best holiday tournament in southwestern Indiana. Maybe it has done that already, but it definitely has now.

Much rather make the drive down than stay around home and watch the classic. I just hope the Eels play better this year than past years at the GPT. Should be some great games.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0