Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boomx2sjk

Coaching changes/rumors

78 posts in this topic

Levi Carmichael resigned from Eastern Greene effective last Thursday, August 8. Eastern had came off back-to-back sectional titles and 23-4 and 24-2 records prior to hiring Levi, and the cupboard was left almost completely bare. Levi did a nice job with minimal talent and won 14 or 15 games, but it's hard to step into any job following such successful seasons.

As I've heard it from several sources, there was a senior on last year's team who wasn't any good (and, therefore, rarely saw the floor), and his dad just happened to be on the school board (or was a former member with close ties). The said member tried running Levi out in the spring but the board elected to keep him by a decisive margin. It's good to see the coach not give in to politics and stay true to his gameplan. Few coaches could have won more than 15 games at Eastern as Levi did, so congrats to him.

I'm not certain what motivated Levi to submit his resignation this late, but I know Eastern's AD left just a week prior in early August. I have no clue if that played any role, but I have heard several rumors...

Levi has accepted a spot on Bloomington North's staff (JV coach I believe) and his wife is their girls coach (she was formerly New Albany coach).

Eastern Greene has become a joke thanks to the school board. Coach Carmichael (a T-Bird alum) was treated awful. He took the high road and did the right thing by resigning, Hard to believe one of our own would be treated this way. He continued the "T-Bird Way" of coaching from Mark Barnhizer to Andy Igel that consisted of coaching you hard and demanding discipline on and off the floor. Sad that a few parents were "coaching" and manipulating behind the scenes. Its also sad who these parents are....nothing worse when someone who looks you in the eye while they pat you on the back but once you turn your back they stab you.

Coach Carmichael is a very good basketball coach who will go on and do great things. All the former T-Birds who helped build the program will quickly watch it fall... by the selling out to apease a few parents and the weak-minded school board

Scottsburg replaced their coach with Brady Wells at midseason but I from what I heard the former coach Johanningsmeier took an administrative position with the corporation and had to be replaced.

Just heard Loogootee is open. Wagoner is headed to South Knox as a teacher for sure, with baseball and basketball being a possibility.

Let the speculating begin!

I say Dalrymple ;)

I hate to see Coach Wagoner leave Loogootee, he and Coach Brett did the best they seemingly could coming out of the immense shadow that Jack Butcher left in 2002. I don't know the whole story or stories that led to both men leaving the Lions, but in any regard, I think it's a shame that Wagoner and Brett couldn't have had the support that Butcher had. We've had similar situations at Bloomfield, and I hope Loogootee someday soon solves their problems and hire the right person that represents their proud basketball tradition as well as their community.

Be a nice get for whoever gets it. Seems like there is a lot of support there, but I have no clue what is in the pipeline.

I have not, knew everybody wanted Ridge out. Haven't heard if he is gone or not. So I have not heard of anybody who has been offered. If it came open one would assume that the two top coaches in the SWAIC would get some feelers. One would assume that the talent coming up and the money would make just about anybody look real hard at that job. I also think that if a change is made then the Shouse kid might stick around.

Edited by Eel fan south grad

Too bad about Coach Hall... oddly their football coach resigned as well. Is that pressure for not doing something with a talented senior class... or do both guys look at the cupboard as bare. NK folks keep telling me they have talent in football, but outside of a very good 7th grade team... I can't think of any class that stood out. Not sure about basketball.

Terre Haute South??? I can really only think of one local guy that has the moxie to pull off that job... and I hope he has no plans on moving anytime soon ;) On a more serious note... can a smaller school guy make it work at a big school. Sure there is probably more talent, but would they have as much control over all aspects of the job... specifically the feeder program.

In the case of any Terre Haute feeder programs they kinda take of themselves. Its once they get to high school that they seem to become stagnant. TH almost always has good aau teams not great but good. TH also has the boys club which is a awesome place for getting your young guys ready to play. Bobby Moore does a great job with all the kids. Lot of chances for youngsters to play ball all summer long in TH. I think a small school guy could make it work but it wouldn't be easy no doubt about that. Just my thoughts. THS has a ton in the cupboard and if the Shouse kid stays BOY OH BOY who wouldn't want to coach that young man wowser.

I saw on twitter that Shawe Memorial fired their head coach. Anyone know any backstory (if there is one)?

Hickory Husker says he got blindsided. Built a program for 4 years, finally in a position to win next year, then fired. Sounds like a 'red flag' situation.

I've been hearing for awhile that Shakamak Coach Steve Brett is/has retired. Anybody else heard this?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0