Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boomx2sjk

Coaching changes/rumors

78 posts in this topic

This thread will be for talk about coaching changes, retirements, etc. in the offseason, as well as talk about who might be next to lead the programs looking for new coaches.

Please post links to stories, tweets from reputable journalists, etc. if at all possible.

Rumor is, Coach Mahurin of the Rox may step down after this season. Seems legit considering all his kids will be in college playing a sport and he may want to be able to travel a bit.

Rumor is, Coach Mahurin of the Rox may step down after this season. Seems legit considering all his kids will be in college playing a sport and he may want to be able to travel a bit.

I think rumors at this time are not a good thing,

Edited by Enjoying Basketball

Are they ever? But the title of the post is coaching changes/rumors correct?

Yes sometimes, I notice your a Linton Fan, many of us have heard that Coach Hart and Coach Mahurin were good friends. Just a rumor of course. I am sure someone would never let someone know something about their future plans, unless they wanted it to get out.

Coach Hart has done well with programs, in the past, he even did well at Turkey Run. Linton is doing very well, any rumors down there you care to share?

http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/1634643.html

No rumors really. One would assume Coach would be welcomed back given their record--if he wants to come back.

Word is Wags is gone from LHS no matter what the outcome of tournament and Dalrymple is first in line to replace him. Having said that, I believe that same 'word' was espoused last season as well as many other rumors which ended up not being remotely close to what transpired (if anything at all). I think LHS would be crazy to release Wags but that is of course just my opinion and some of you LHS fans may have a different thought. Anyone else heard anything re: Wags and his security at LHS?

Well, a majority of LHS and ND feel as do you, maybe they could just 'swap em out'...lol Dal LHS, Wags ND.....ha ha ha More seriously, I really really thought the whole N.D. program was much improved when Doyle was assisting. I know ND has had many things to deal w/this season so that is not a fair season to scrutinize BUT...I feel the program has been slowly reverting back to the old N.D. since Doyle is out of the picture. I have absolutely no reason to say that except that it is just what I see, right or wrong to others. Nothing personal at all. IF that is the case, then maybe there does need to be a change because for certain that was not good for cougars. Also, in the past it was difficult for ND to entice any coaches worth anything to come in as head coach because of their reputation. Now though, it is a whole different story because that situation has improved tremendously. IF ND is wanting to make a change, now might be a good time to do so.

Coach Mokris was the brains of that staff and coach Dal has said that for years. And yes Coach Doyle helped out as well no doubt. However, the program has been deteriorating for years and is now surfacing. Many feel this was it for awhile. But you are right, with everything that had went on that I wont discuss on here, its time for a change. But Loogootee would be a fool to let their coach go. Something isnt right with that picture.

But Loogootee would be a fool to let their coach go. Something isnt right with that picture.

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second. I won't go so far as to call such a suggestion "trolling", because I've been wrong once or twice in my life, but I would be STUNNED.

Having numerous friends in Loogootee, I do know that many have just not been happy with Wags since he came into head coaching position BUT.....I am not sure what is driving that sentiment. There may be outside factors which are influencing the crowd that wants him out (which is many times the case no matter if it's LHS, ND or anyone else). IF any pleas to get rid of him are based upon anything other than his coaching ability, that always spells trouble if the nay-sayers crowd grows large enough. I hope that is not the case because frankly, I think he has done a very good job for what he was hired to do and think it would be a loss for the Lions in the long run.

Shooter, that rumor has been circulated for the past couple of years so just like many others, not so certain there is anything to it. I guess that since Dal has married and now lives in Loogootee, it would be expected that he might enjoy coaching (or AD'ing..lol) closer to home. I can imagine that by living in Loogootee and being head coach AND A.D. at N.D. makes for miniscule time left with/for his family! Not to mention the driving time back and forth when all is said and done. Guess what I am saying is that there are many reasons why getting into the LHS system would make sense for him but...just not sure the opportunity is even there for him. Time will tell, as usual *wink*

Edited by meme

ND PARENT 00, if what you say is true, that Mokris is known by Dal to be the 'brains', then is it just coincidental that the program saw significant improvement after the inception of Doyle? While I can maybe buy that fact that Mokris may well have been the brains, I still think there was definitely something Doyle brought to the program to see fairly dramatic improvements overall. Maybe it was nothing more than Doyle's ability to 'talk' to the kids an boost their moral and confidence (he does without a doubt have that talent). But, either way, I just think it's a little too coincidental to see steady improvements upon his arrival to the 'game' and then see it regressing after his leaving. I really have absolutely zero reason to say this other than that's what I saw take place and it will take a lot of convincing for me to think Doyle was anything other than a major factor in the success @ N.D. I though am also smart enough to see the up n down years of talent influencing any team and that was, as you (or someone else?) stated, that played a role to a certain degree. Guess we will never truly know but it's fun to discuss, huh? I just hope N.D. can keep the program going because basketball in this area has never been so exciting and I would hate to go back to the days of ..Loogootee and Barr Reeve being the driving forces w/N.D. thrust back in the 'we can only hope' group. I say that with all honesty. LOVEEEEEEE the way things are now. Doesn't get any bettern' dat....*smile*

Coach Mokris was the brains of that staff and coach Dal has said that for years. And yes Coach Doyle helped out as well no doubt. However, the program has been deteriorating for years and is now surfacing. Many feel this was it for awhile. But you are right, with everything that had went on that I wont discuss on here, its time for a change. But Loogootee would be a fool to let their coach go. Something isnt right with that picture.

Really disgruntled ND Parent? Time for a change? Really? Sometimes I'm embarrassed to say I'm a Cougar fan. Coach has been the absolute best thing that has happened for the Cougars I would say ever. He is an unquestioned excellent leader of our young men. Look at the records before he came in 2000 and look now. Really? There is a grand total of 4, count them 4, 15+ win seasons from 1969-2000. Coach just completed his 8th year in a row of 15 or more wins in a season. 8 in a row. Really? 2 regional championships in the last 4 years. The 2011 team was nowhere close to as good talentwise as the 2009 team and somehow did it without Doyle that year. He must have been giving Dal hand signals or something I'm sure. Dal has always credited Coach Mokris with being able to figure things out when out of answers but make no mistake about it Dal is and has been the driving force behind this program since he arrived. Time for a change? Really? Everything I know about the way coach treats his players is top notch. Evident by the number of former players and players before he got here being involved in the program. I know these guys who have went through Dal's system and they are all top notch individuals. You would be hard pressed to find any kid who is not successful in the real world today. So we got beat this year on Friday by Loogootee. I think they were pretty good. He had them prepared to the hilt. I believe Wes Lengacher took a 3 at the 3rd qtr buzzer to put ND up 5. They were winning vs the only team to beat BR this year. Time for a change? Really? Program is dwindling? Sure there are a couple classes that are down but you will have that from time to time in 1A schools. Even the almighty br and Loogootee had some subpar seasons as I recall in the 2000's. Can u believe it? Even better it hasn't even happened yet at ND. They have a really nice class of juniors back for next year and I would say will push that 15+ win streak to 9. The JV team while not spectacular won SWIAC this year with a 7-1 conference record. The 8th grade beat LHS and lost to them by 1pt this year. They lost to br after leading the whole game. The youth program is full go with all ND former players leading the charge. Time for a change? Really? Give me a break people. Dal needs to stay as long as he wants. Indeed he does have 3 kids with the youngest being an adorable 2 year old boy and the oldest a 10 year old girl so yes I would say he and his wife sit down every year around this time and decide if the .25 an hour he makes to coach is worth all the time away from family and worth all the criticism received by anonymous disgruntled parents. I coach at a lower level and know the time I put in vs Dal. It's a strain on my young family and I'm not even close to the time spent by Coach. This year alone he has hosted a fall JH kickoff tourney, a Sunday 5 week fall league and 2 weekends in February and one coming up this weekend. He's not just a figure head at these things, he's first one at ND on those days and last one to leave. Time for a change? Really? I also mentioned how good he has been for all of ND athletics. ND hosts the sectionals and regionals in most sports. Football, Volleyball, boys and girls basketball, baseball, softball and boys and girls tennis. I asked him one time what he gets for doing that. His answer was $75 each ihsaa event. What a joke. He has brought this school so much pride and publicity one cannot measure. Time for a change? Yes it is. Time for people like you to quit being so wish washy and support the great programs and great people we have in charge. By the way when Mr Doyle left for principal at br last year guess who took that spot too? Yeah coach has also assumed asst principal duties at ND as well. Give me a break 00. I don't have any idea if he considers other opportunities but he could probably go much bigger places but chooses not to because of his commitment and loyalty to his family and ND.

As far as coach Wags at LHS, while I know nothing about the situation it also seems very petty and individual driven. He is a State Champion coach for goodness sake Loogootee fans. What else do you want? I know our 3rd/4th teams just played in a tourney at Loogootee the past couple weekends so I'm pretty sure the youth program is alive their too.

Sorry for the rant but I too have been privy to some sniping going on here at ND and its downright small minded and dumb. Don't fix what ain't broke. We can't win it every year. We didn't win one sectional for 31 years. Now we have 4. Give it a rest and maybe just be thankful for what our little hole in the wall towns have.

This is hilarious! I rarely post to this forum due to the absolute idiocy i read here on a regular basis! People with absolute ZERO clue how to run a lemonade stand waxing poetic on how to run a competitive basketball team in what is considered widely as a Top 5 Sectional! I wont waste much time explaining to any of you the type of man, father and coach that Brent Dalrymple is--it would be futile! I can tell you this--and this is with absolute certainty--Coach Dal has been contacted by several high level coaching jobs from around this state, and Illinois! His defensive prowess is among the best in the state of Indiana! His charitable work, his 80 hour work schedule and his passion to win have seemingly bothered a few parents whose sons, I'm sorry, just aren't that great. This isn't T-Ball! Outs and runs count! You play to win! Suggesting Dalrymple leave is misguided at best, and laughable at worst!

As for Loogootee, even funnier! You ran out a State finalist coach in Brett and you are considering ousting a champion coach in Wags??? What do you people want--the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Doubt he'd want with the treatment some of you place on men helping shape young peoples lives...

"Coaches give up THEIR lives in order to enhance the lives of others!" -John Wooden

Spat- impressive plea but you only know what you need to know. Our kids dont make this stuff up. You'll see.

As for Loogootee, I don't believe the rumor but stranger things have happened. Just hope they keep Sect 63 together.

Spat- impressive plea but you only know what you need to know. Our kids dont make this stuff up. You'll see.

As for Loogootee, I don't believe the rumor but stranger things have happened. Just hope they keep Sect 63 together.

I don't make stuff up either. Gave you a lot of facts to try and read through those blinders you have on. You are way off base if you think it's time for a change at ND.

I predict an interesting carousel of changes coming soon in the swiac and southern IN...everytime I say this, nothing happens...

Thanks, Molina Mafia. That settles that.... ????? Er uh...maybe...???? Without knowing what you base your comment and assurance on, makes it not worth much more than anyone else's comments but.. LHS's loss if he leaves- gain if he stays.... is all I will say.

Well folks - we have now won 1 out of the last 8 sectionals.

ONE out of fricking EIGHT.

Don't any of you think it's time to overhaul the system?

This passed season Barr Reeve beat us bad in grades 6, 7, 8, 9 and JV and now beat us by 10 in the sectional on our home floor with a bunch of our seniors sitting on the bench the whole game.

When Jack coached, we rarely went more than a year or two between sectionals and we had to play Washington too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0