Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

The IHSAA publishes a yearly directory with conference affiliations included.

If you really want to slum, you can go back thru 44 years of the Indiana Basketball Handbook for the information.

I may have to hit up the library in Jeffersonville later this week to see if I can't dig up any old IBH copies. I know the IHSAA does release conference affiliations along with their school directory, unfortunately they don't have may older versions online. I wonder if I wouldn't be able to email them to get some of the older info.

#22 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Since they're so closely intertwined, I'd figure I'd go ahead and throw the Tri-River Conference in on here.

1964- Three schools from the Western Indiana Conference, Shakamak, Terre Haute Schulte, and Terre Haute State, join with Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Staunton, and Van Buren to form the Tri-River Conference. Schulte and State would play concurrently in the TRC and WIC.
Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Van Buren.

1965- Union-Dugger joins.
Members (9): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1968- Shakamak joins the Southwestern Indiana Conference while maintaining membership in the TRC.
Members (9): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1971?- Schulte leaves the TRC, becoming a full-time WIC school.
Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1974- Union-Dugger joins Shakamak in having concurrent SWIAC/TRC membership.
Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1977- North Central-Farmersburg joins, after not having been in any known conference previously.
Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1978- Terre Haute State closes, also ending concurrent TRC/WIC membership.
Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1984- Staunton and Van Buren consolidate with Brazil, forming independent Northview.
Members (6): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Union-Dugger.

1986- Montezuma and Rosedale consolidate to form Riverton-Parke, which joins the Wabash River Conference. Eminence and Sullivan join. Sullivan had been playing independently after the WIC collapsed in 1982, and Eminence had been an independent since the demise of the Little 8/4 in 1974.
Members (6): Clay City, Eminence, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins the TRC while remaining in the SWIAC, a reverse move from the moves made by Shakamak and Union-Dugger.
Members (7): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1992- Clay City becomes the fourth school with concurrent SWIAC/TRC membership, joining Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger.
Members (7): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1999- Sullivan joins a reformed Western Indiana Conference.
Members (6): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Union-Dugger.

2010- With four members in both conferences, the TRC disbands. Those four schools remain in the SWIAC, and are joined by North Central-Farmersburg. Eminence becomes Independent.

Edited by RedBirdRage, 30 July 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#23 Rockman

Rockman

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Linton didn't come into the Tri-River until the 1991-92 season. Also, Schulte was out of the TRC in the early 70's, and maybe the late 60's--well before they closed their doors.

FWIW (and this is on memory, but most if not all is correct) Eminence was a member of the Little 8 Conference back in the 50's and 60's. Eminence, Reelsville, Fillmore, Cloverdale, New Winchester, Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville were the members. New Winchester closed after the '62-63 season, but I don't think the conference folded until after the '63-'64 season--when Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville consolidated into Cascade. Eminence didn't rejoin a conference until going into the TRC.

#24 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Linton didn't come into the Tri-River until the 1991-92 season. Also, Schulte was out of the TRC in the early 70's, and maybe the late 60's--well before they closed their doors.

FWIW (and this is on memory, but most if not all is correct) Eminence was a member of the Little 8 Conference back in the 50's and 60's. Eminence, Reelsville, Fillmore, Cloverdale, New Winchester, Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville were the members. New Winchester closed after the '62-63 season, but I don't think the conference folded until after the '63-'64 season--when Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville consolidated into Cascade. Eminence didn't rejoin a conference until going into the TRC.

Ok, that explains my whole confusion on when L-S joined the SWIAC, for whatever reason I had them joining both at the same time, instead of doing the opposite of what the other SWIAC/TRC schools did. As for Schulte, I've found them listed as WIC by 1971, but can't find any info on which conference they are in between '64 and then.

Interestingly enough, though I'm not sure whether this was technically a conference or not, there was apparently a Little 4 Conference at some point that Eminence was involved in after the L8C. The other three schools were North Salem and Pittsboro from Hendricks County, and Granville-Wells from Boone County. There's also a mention that the Hendricks County schools were in the Little 8, but I'm not sure whether there's anything to that. Here's the link to that convo (not really anything past first page): http://www.sycamorep...-For-OFC-s-Only

#25 Rockman

Rockman

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ok, that explains my whole confusion on when L-S joined the SWIAC, for whatever reason I had them joining both at the same time, instead of doing the opposite of what the other SWIAC/TRC schools did. As for Schulte, I've found them listed as WIC by 1971, but can't find any info on which conference they are in between '64 and then.

Interestingly enough, though I'm not sure whether this was technically a conference or not, there was apparently a Little 4 Conference at some point that Eminence was involved in after the L8C. The other three schools were North Salem and Pittsboro from Hendricks County, and Granville-Wells from Boone County. There's also a mention that the Hendricks County schools were in the Little 8, but I'm not sure whether there's anything to that. Here's the link to that convo (not really anything past first page): http://www.sycamorep...-For-OFC-s-Only

I'd bet the farm on my Little 8 schools.

I've slept since then, but I believe they may be correct about the Little Four Conference for a two or three season period in the early 70's with Wells, Pittsboro, North Salem, and Eminence. We played Wells at their place in '74, and I think those were the four schools' banners hanging. Before that, there was once a Big Four Conference in the 50's, with schools from four counties--Montgomery (Ladoga and New Market) Boone (Wells), Putnam (Bainbridge and Roachdale), and Hendricks (Pittsboro and North Salem)

Edited by Rockman, 30 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#26 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'd bet the farm on my Little 8 schools.

I've slept since then, but I believe they may be correct about the Little Four Conference for a two or three season period in the early 70's with Wells, Pittsboro, North Salem, and Eminence. We played Wells at their place in '74, and I think those were the four schools' banners hanging. Before that, there was once a Big Four Conference in the 50's, with schools from four counties--Montgomery (Ladoga and New Market) Boone (Wells), Putnam (Bainbridge and Roachdale), and Hendricks (Pittsboro and North Salem)

Actually, I think you're both right on this one as far as school lineups. The guy putting the Hendricks schools in graduated from Cascade in '66, so going by that timeline, it's quite possible they added NS, Pitt, and GW to replace the three schools that became Cascade, with possibly Cascade being the eighth. Then either when Reelsville and Fillmore became South Put in '69, or when South Put, Cloverdale, and Cascade helped form the West Central in '70, they became the Little 4. This is merely guessing, but it seems plausible that the conference did keep going with new blood til G-W became part of Western Boone in '74. Of course, I haven't slept yet and need to go to work, so we'll see how much sense that makes tomorrow when I finally get some rest.

#27 Rockman

Rockman

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Actually, I think you're both right on this one as far as school lineups. The guy putting the Hendricks schools in graduated from Cascade in '66, so going by that timeline, it's quite possible they added NS, Pitt, and GW to replace the three schools that became Cascade, with possibly Cascade being the eighth. Then either when Reelsville and Fillmore became South Put in '69, or when South Put, Cloverdale, and Cascade helped form the West Central in '70, they became the Little 4. This is merely guessing, but it seems plausible that the conference did keep going with new blood til G-W became part of Western Boone in '74. Of course, I haven't slept yet and need to go to work, so we'll see how much sense that makes tomorrow when I finally get some rest.

Cascade was never in a conference until the West Central was formed.

None of the schools you mentioned (North Salem, Pittsboro, Granville-Wells) consistently played Cloverdale, Eminence, Reelsville in the late 60's so if there was a continued Little 8 conference alignment, it was pretty loose and unbalanced.

Just to further muddy the waters, Fillmore was outright Big Four Conference champs in 1966. They lost 3 scheduled games, all to Cloverdale--twice regular season, once in the County Tourney. Cloverdale only lost in the County Tourney and Final Four that year, so Cloverdale wasn't in the Big Four.

Edited by Rockman, 31 July 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#28 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Cascade was never in a conference until the West Central was formed.

None of the schools you mentioned (North Salem, Pittsboro, Granville-Wells) consistently played Cloverdale, Eminence, Reelsville in the late 60's so if there was a continued Little 8 conference alignment, it was pretty loose and unbalanced.

Just to further muddy the waters, Fillmore was outright Big Four Conference champs in 1966. They lost 3 scheduled games, all to Cloverdale--twice regular season, once in the County Tourney. Cloverdale only lost in the County Tourney and Final Four that year, so Cloverdale wasn't in the Big Four.

Ok, so from what it looks like then, Fillmore went to the Big Four when the Little Eight dissolved, which would have put the B4C at eight members. That would likely explain why Reelsville or any other of the former L8C schools didn't follow them there (or rather, might not have been invited), so they were probably independent. This would make the most sense, since there was only a one school year gap between the ending of the L8C (ended after '63-'64) and Fillmore's B4C title ('65-'66, if I interpreted that correctly).

The murky part is between 1969 and 1971. I'm assuming '71 was the start of the Little Four, as the three Boone-Hendricks schools were the only ones left from the B4C. The question is whether The B4C continued between those two years, minus the Putnam schools, until Ladoga and New Market formed Southmont, or whether they went their separate ways with the impending consolidation.

Here's something else to muddy the waters I just sort of cleaned. Ladoga and New Market were a part of the Wabash River Conference from at latest 1964 til they consolidated in '71, at least in football (http://cannerhilites...-of-ladoga.html). Despite the extensive writeups on Ladoga basketball, there's no mention of either the WRC or B4C anywhere. This may be a fb-only deal, since there's only four other WRC schools listed, two would consolidate in '64, and Attica wouldn't come into the fold until either 1966 or 1971. It is possible that the Wabash River started as a football conference, then became all sports later (they sponsored a choir competition starting in 1959).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users