Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Ok, I've been trying to compile a team history of the SWIAC, and it seems to work better when I present the info I have, then let people call me names, insult my intelligence, then give me the correct info I'm looking for. So I figure I'll just throw this out then let our Southwestern contingent have a field day with me.

1939- The SWIAC conference is founded by eight schools (of those, only Bloomfield, Loogootee, and Shoals exist in their current state).
Members (8): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Montgomery (Barr Twp), Oolitic, Plainville, Shoals, West Baden.

The next twenty years are pretty fuzzy. At some point before 1958, Montgomery/BT, Plainville, Shoals, and West Baden had left. Spencer and Switz City Central had joined by then, probably from the White River Valley Conference. Needmore, Odon, Shawswick, and Worthington joined by that time as well.

1958 Members (10): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1962- Shoals rejoined, and Eastern Greene joined as a virtually new school. I have the teams split into theoretical divisions (probably were not actually used in standings) to keep things more readable.
North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Ellettsville, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.
South Members (6): Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1964- Ellettsville is consolidated into Edgewood.
North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.
South Members (6): Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1968- Odon (as part of North Daviess) leaves to form the Blue Chip Conference while Bloomfield plays in both the BCC and SWIAC. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.
North Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.
South Members (6): L&M, Loogootee, Needmore, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1970- Three schools leave. Edgewood and Spencer (as part of Owen Valley) form the West Central Conference, and Loogootee joins the Blue Chip.
Members (10): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Union-Dugger joins, while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Shoals, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1977- Shoals starts dual membership in the SWIAC and BCC, transitioning to the BCC.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Shoals, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1979- Shoals completes transition, and leaves SWIAC.
Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1980- Linton-Stockton joins after spending 6 seasons as an independent.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield ends its concurrency with the Blue Chip.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1986- North Daviess joins from the Blue Chip, a sort of rejoining as Odon was a former member.
Members (9): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1990- L&M, Switz City, and Worthington consolidate to form White River Valley.
Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1992- Clay City joins, while maintaining Tri-River membership
Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

2010- The Tri-River Conference folds. Clay City, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger are now members of the SWIAC only. North Central-Farmersburg joins their former TRC conference mates.
Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

So there it is, 73+ years of history, which also means gaps and inaccuracies, so feel free to make fun of me for having incorrect info.

Oh, and as a bonus, there was also a conference called the White River Valley that started in 1936, with Clay City, Jasonville, Lyons, Midland, Spencer, and Switz City as its founding members. It's not known how long the conference lasted, since there's no indication of any other members joining. Jasonville joined the WIC in 1949, and Spencer and Switz City joined the SWIAC in 1958, though the conference may have folded before any of this. If you all have any info to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RedBirdRage, 18 July 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#2 ziggy stardust

ziggy stardust

Freshman

• Freshman
  • 5 posts
  • Barr-Reeve
  • Valparaiso
  • Fan

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ok, I've been trying to compile a team history of the SWIAC, and it seems to work better when I present the info I have, then let people call me names, insult my intelligence, then give me the correct info I'm looking for. So I figure I'll just throw this out then let our Southwestern contingent have a field day with me.

1939- The SWIAC conference is founded by eight schools (of those, only Bloomfield, Loogootee, and Shoals exist in their current state).
Members (8): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Montgomery (Barr Twp), Oolitic, Plainville, Shoals, West Baden.

The next twenty years are pretty fuzzy. At some point before 1958, Montgomery/BT, Plainville, Shoals, and West Baden had left. Spencer and Switz City Central had joined by then, probably from the White River Valley Conference. Needmore, Odon, Shawswick, and Worthington joined by that time as well.

1958 Members (10): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1962- Shoals rejoined, and Eastern Greene joined as a virtually new school. I have the teams split into theoretical divisions (probably were not actually used in standings) to keep things more readable.
North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Ellettsville, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1968- Bloomfield and Odon (as part of North Daviess) leave to form the Blue Chip Conference. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.
North Members (6): Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.
South Members (6): L&M, Loogootee, Needmore, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1970- Three schools leave. Edgewood and Spencer (as part of Owen Valley) form the West Central Conference, and Loogootee joins the Blue Chip.
Members (9): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1972- Shoals leaves for the Blue Chip.
Members (8): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Clay City and Union-Dugger join while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.
Members (7): Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield rejoins, leaving the Blue Chip.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1986- North Daviess joins from the Blue Chip, a sort of rejoining as Odon was a former member.
Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins, possibly having been an independent since the WIC collapsed in 1977. They also have simultaneous membership with the Tri-River.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

2010- The Tri-River Conference folds. Clay City, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger are now members of the SWIAC only. North Central-Farmersburg joins their former TRC conference mates.
Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

So there it is, 73+ years of history, which also means gaps and inaccuracies, so feel free to make fun of me for having incorrect info.

Oh, and as a bonus, there was also a conference called the White River Valley that started in 1936, with Clay City, Jasonville, Lyons, Midland, Spencer, and Switz City as its founding members. It's not known how long the conference lasted, since there's no indication of any other members joining. Jasonville joined the WIC in 1949, and Spencer and Switz City joined the SWIAC in 1958, though the conference may have folded before any of this. If you all have any info to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

I went to Shoals from 1975-1979. We were in the SWIAC all of those years. We had duel confernce membership my last two years, 1977-78 and 78-79, as we transitioned into the Blue Chip Conference (for the first time).

#3 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I went to Shoals from 1975-1979. We were in the SWIAC all of those years. We had duel confernce membership my last two years, 1977-78 and 78-79, as we transitioned into the Blue Chip Conference (for the first time).

Thank you, I have that fixed in my records now.

#4 Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Bloomfield
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Very interesting. I thought I had been told over the years that Bloomfield was in the SWIAC and the Blue Chip at the same time for a few years, but I don't have any solid evidence to back that up. Either way, you have a good history here. It is funny to see that none of the original members made it through all of the years to today.

#5 Dante Estonia

Dante Estonia

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Bedford NL
  • Triton Central
  • Alumni

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Very interesting. I thought I had been told over the years that Bloomfield was in the SWIAC and the Blue Chip at the same time for a few years, but I don't have any solid evidence to back that up. Either way, you have a good history here. It is funny to see that none of the original members made it through all of the years to today.

It doesn't help that some of them don't exist.
I'm glad though that BNL has always scheduled a SWIAC school. Its a shoutout to the pre-consolidation era.
Bedford/Bedford NL combined tournament history:

54 Sectionals
27 Regionals
5 Semistates
14 State Finalists
1 State title in front of 40,000 fans

A Tradition Like No Other

#6 Rockman

Rockman

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Shoals and Bloomfield were SWIAC members in the early 70's, and Bloomfield was through the 80's but it was a pretty loose basketball affiliation--I don't think they were eligible for a title (Bloomfield was eligible starting in the '86-'87 season) but the few games they played against SWIAC teams counted in the standings.

Clay City was not a member of the SWIAC until the '92-'93 season--weren't in at all in the 70's and 80's. Tri-River in those years, and then dual membership.

Linton joined the SWIAC in the '80-'81 season. Their last year in the WIC was '73-'74, with the great Rick Crynes.

The WIC didn't collapse in 1977--'81-'82 was its last season.

Edited by Rockman, 18 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#7 Lagote74

Lagote74

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

1968- Bloomfield and Odon (as part of North Daviess) leave to form the Blue Chip Conference. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.
North Members (6): Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

Members (9): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1972- Shoals leaves for the Blue Chip.
Members (8): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Clay City and Union-Dugger join while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.
Members (7): Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield rejoins, leaving the Blue Chip.
Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins, possibly having been an independent since the WIC collapsed in 1977. They also have simultaneous membership with the Tri-River.

That is very very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, as for Blue chip, originally, Springs Valley, Bloomfield and Mitchell were in BCC, they gradually dropped out over the years, Forest Park joined and has since left for PAC as they added football.

#8 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Shoals and Bloomfield were SWIAC members in the early 70's, and Bloomfield was through the 80's but it was a pretty loose basketball affiliation--I don't think they were eligible for a title (Bloomfield was eligible starting in the '86-'87 season) but the few games they played against SWIAC teams counted in the standings.

Clay City was not a member of the SWIAC until the '92-'93 season--weren't in at all in the 70's and 80's. Tri-River in those years, and then dual membership.

Linton joined the SWIAC in the '80-'81 season. Their last year in the WIC was '73-'74, with the great Rick Crynes.

The WIC didn't collapse in 1977--'82-'83 was its last season.

Information noted and corrected in my notes (I have to play with my original post to see if I can edit it). Who was in the WIC during the '82-83 season? All I could see there was Brazil, South Vermillion, Sullivan, and West Vigo. If they continued as a 4-team conference, that would make sense, since my records (which were from a football site) show those four being the only schools left after '77, so they may have been a basketball conference, but not a football conference.

With all of the intertwining between the old WIC, SWIAC, TRC, and BCC, it's extremely tough to keep everything straightened out, and online newspaper services don't go too far. That's one of the reasons I don't mind putting the lists I have on here, not only do I get to share a little bit of history, but I also get some much-needed corrections for when I either have faulty info or have to guesstimate on the timeline.

#9 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

That is very very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, as for Blue chip, originally, Springs Valley, Bloomfield and Mitchell were in BCC, they gradually dropped out over the years, Forest Park joined and has since left for PAC as they added football.

I actually have similar info to this for the Blue Chip that I can post as well. Part of one of my online projects was to start getting info on different Indiana conferences, and it's grown quite a bit. I've been digging up conferences that haven't existed for 50+ years, yet am having a hard time getting info to definitely complete a lot of them. I can post what I have for the BCC either on here or in a new thread if you'd like.

#10 Rockman

Rockman

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Information noted and corrected in my notes (I have to play with my original post to see if I can edit it). Who was in the WIC during the '82-83 season? All I could see there was Brazil, South Vermillion, Sullivan, and West Vigo. If they continued as a 4-team conference, that would make sense, since my records (which were from a football site) show those four being the only schools left after '77, so they may have been a basketball conference, but not a football conference.

With all of the intertwining between the old WIC, SWIAC, TRC, and BCC, it's extremely tough to keep everything straightened out, and online newspaper services don't go too far. That's one of the reasons I don't mind putting the lists I have on here, not only do I get to share a little bit of history, but I also get some much-needed corrections for when I either have faulty info or have to guesstimate on the timeline.

Ahh, I screwed it up--the last year for the WIC was the '81-'82 season--with the four teams you mentioned. North Knox was in the WIC for a brief time in the late 70's, after Schulte and State High closed and Greencastle had shipped out to the West Central Conference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users