Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedBirdRage

SWIAC History?

28 posts in this topic

Ok, I've been trying to compile a team history of the SWIAC, and it seems to work better when I present the info I have, then let people call me names, insult my intelligence, then give me the correct info I'm looking for. So I figure I'll just throw this out then let our Southwestern contingent have a field day with me.

1939- The SWIAC conference is founded by eight schools (of those, only Bloomfield, Loogootee, and Shoals exist in their current state).

Members (8): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Montgomery (Barr Twp), Oolitic, Plainville, Shoals, West Baden.

The next twenty years are pretty fuzzy. At some point before 1958, Montgomery/BT, Plainville, Shoals, and West Baden had left. Spencer and Switz City Central had joined by then, probably from the White River Valley Conference. Needmore, Odon, Shawswick, and Worthington joined by that time as well.

1958 Members (10): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1962- Shoals rejoined, and Eastern Greene joined as a virtually new school. I have the teams split into theoretical divisions (probably were not actually used in standings) to keep things more readable.

North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Ellettsville, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

South Members (6): Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1964- Ellettsville is consolidated into Edgewood.

North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

South Members (6): Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1968- Odon (as part of North Daviess) leaves to form the Blue Chip Conference while Bloomfield plays in both the BCC and SWIAC. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.

North Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

South Members (6): L&M, Loogootee, Needmore, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1970- Three schools leave. Edgewood and Spencer (as part of Owen Valley) form the West Central Conference, and Loogootee joins the Blue Chip.

Members (10): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Union-Dugger joins, while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Shoals, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1977- Shoals starts dual membership in the SWIAC and BCC, transitioning to the BCC.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Shoals, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1979- Shoals completes transition, and leaves SWIAC.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1980- Linton-Stockton joins after spending 6 seasons as an independent.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield ends its concurrency with the Blue Chip.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1986- North Daviess joins from the Blue Chip, a sort of rejoining as Odon was a former member.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, L&M, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1990- L&M, Switz City, and Worthington consolidate to form White River Valley.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1992- Clay City joins, while maintaining Tri-River membership

Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

2010- The Tri-River Conference folds. Clay City, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger are now members of the SWIAC only. North Central-Farmersburg joins their former TRC conference mates.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

So there it is, 73+ years of history, which also means gaps and inaccuracies, so feel free to make fun of me for having incorrect info.

Oh, and as a bonus, there was also a conference called the White River Valley that started in 1936, with Clay City, Jasonville, Lyons, Midland, Spencer, and Switz City as its founding members. It's not known how long the conference lasted, since there's no indication of any other members joining. Jasonville joined the WIC in 1949, and Spencer and Switz City joined the SWIAC in 1958, though the conference may have folded before any of this. If you all have any info to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RedBirdRage

Ok, I've been trying to compile a team history of the SWIAC, and it seems to work better when I present the info I have, then let people call me names, insult my intelligence, then give me the correct info I'm looking for. So I figure I'll just throw this out then let our Southwestern contingent have a field day with me.

1939- The SWIAC conference is founded by eight schools (of those, only Bloomfield, Loogootee, and Shoals exist in their current state).

Members (8): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Montgomery (Barr Twp), Oolitic, Plainville, Shoals, West Baden.

The next twenty years are pretty fuzzy. At some point before 1958, Montgomery/BT, Plainville, Shoals, and West Baden had left. Spencer and Switz City Central had joined by then, probably from the White River Valley Conference. Needmore, Odon, Shawswick, and Worthington joined by that time as well.

1958 Members (10): Bloomfield, Ellettsville, Loogootee, Needmore, Odon, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1962- Shoals rejoined, and Eastern Greene joined as a virtually new school. I have the teams split into theoretical divisions (probably were not actually used in standings) to keep things more readable.

North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Ellettsville, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

North Members (6): Bloomfield, Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

1968- Bloomfield and Odon (as part of North Daviess) leave to form the Blue Chip Conference. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.

North Members (6): Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

South Members (6): L&M, Loogootee, Needmore, Oolitic, Shawswick, Spencer, Shoals.

1970- Three schools leave. Edgewood and Spencer (as part of Owen Valley) form the West Central Conference, and Loogootee joins the Blue Chip.

Members (9): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1972- Shoals leaves for the Blue Chip.

Members (8): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Clay City and Union-Dugger join while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.

Members (7): Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield rejoins, leaving the Blue Chip.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1986- North Daviess joins from the Blue Chip, a sort of rejoining as Odon was a former member.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins, possibly having been an independent since the WIC collapsed in 1977. They also have simultaneous membership with the Tri-River.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

2010- The Tri-River Conference folds. Clay City, Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger are now members of the SWIAC only. North Central-Farmersburg joins their former TRC conference mates.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

So there it is, 73+ years of history, which also means gaps and inaccuracies, so feel free to make fun of me for having incorrect info.

Oh, and as a bonus, there was also a conference called the White River Valley that started in 1936, with Clay City, Jasonville, Lyons, Midland, Spencer, and Switz City as its founding members. It's not known how long the conference lasted, since there's no indication of any other members joining. Jasonville joined the WIC in 1949, and Spencer and Switz City joined the SWIAC in 1958, though the conference may have folded before any of this. If you all have any info to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

I went to Shoals from 1975-1979. We were in the SWIAC all of those years. We had duel confernce membership my last two years, 1977-78 and 78-79, as we transitioned into the Blue Chip Conference (for the first time).

I went to Shoals from 1975-1979. We were in the SWIAC all of those years. We had duel confernce membership my last two years, 1977-78 and 78-79, as we transitioned into the Blue Chip Conference (for the first time).

Thank you, I have that fixed in my records now.

Very interesting. I thought I had been told over the years that Bloomfield was in the SWIAC and the Blue Chip at the same time for a few years, but I don't have any solid evidence to back that up. Either way, you have a good history here. It is funny to see that none of the original members made it through all of the years to today.

Very interesting. I thought I had been told over the years that Bloomfield was in the SWIAC and the Blue Chip at the same time for a few years, but I don't have any solid evidence to back that up. Either way, you have a good history here. It is funny to see that none of the original members made it through all of the years to today.

It doesn't help that some of them don't exist.

I'm glad though that BNL has always scheduled a SWIAC school. Its a shoutout to the pre-consolidation era.

Shoals and Bloomfield were SWIAC members in the early 70's, and Bloomfield was through the 80's but it was a pretty loose basketball affiliation--I don't think they were eligible for a title (Bloomfield was eligible starting in the '86-'87 season) but the few games they played against SWIAC teams counted in the standings.

Clay City was not a member of the SWIAC until the '92-'93 season--weren't in at all in the 70's and 80's. Tri-River in those years, and then dual membership.

Linton joined the SWIAC in the '80-'81 season. Their last year in the WIC was '73-'74, with the great Rick Crynes.

The WIC didn't collapse in 1977--'81-'82 was its last season.

Edited by Rockman

1968- Bloomfield and Odon (as part of North Daviess) leave to form the Blue Chip Conference. Shakamak joins, becoming the first member to be part of both the SWIAC and Tri-River conferences at the same time, and L&M also joins.

North Members (6): Eastern Greene, Edgewood, Shakamak, Spencer, Switz City, Worthington.

Members (9): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Shoals, Switz City, Worthington.

1972- Shoals leaves for the Blue Chip.

Members (8): Eastern Greene, L&M, Needmore, Oolitic, Shakamak, Shawswick, Switz City, Worthington.

1974- Needmore, Oolitic, and Shawswick are consolidated into Beford-North Lawrence. Clay City and Union-Dugger join while maintaining their membership in the Tri-River.

Members (7): Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

1985- Bloomfield rejoins, leaving the Blue Chip.

Members (8): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (9): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, L&M, North Daviess, Shakamak, Switz City, Union-Dugger, Worthington.

Members (7): Bloomfield, Clay City, Eastern Greene, North Daviess, Shakamak, Union-Dugger, WRV.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins, possibly having been an independent since the WIC collapsed in 1977. They also have simultaneous membership with the Tri-River.

That is very very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, as for Blue chip, originally, Springs Valley, Bloomfield and Mitchell were in BCC, they gradually dropped out over the years, Forest Park joined and has since left for PAC as they added football.

Shoals and Bloomfield were SWIAC members in the early 70's, and Bloomfield was through the 80's but it was a pretty loose basketball affiliation--I don't think they were eligible for a title (Bloomfield was eligible starting in the '86-'87 season) but the few games they played against SWIAC teams counted in the standings.

Clay City was not a member of the SWIAC until the '92-'93 season--weren't in at all in the 70's and 80's. Tri-River in those years, and then dual membership.

Linton joined the SWIAC in the '80-'81 season. Their last year in the WIC was '73-'74, with the great Rick Crynes.

The WIC didn't collapse in 1977--'82-'83 was its last season.

Information noted and corrected in my notes (I have to play with my original post to see if I can edit it). Who was in the WIC during the '82-83 season? All I could see there was Brazil, South Vermillion, Sullivan, and West Vigo. If they continued as a 4-team conference, that would make sense, since my records (which were from a football site) show those four being the only schools left after '77, so they may have been a basketball conference, but not a football conference.

With all of the intertwining between the old WIC, SWIAC, TRC, and BCC, it's extremely tough to keep everything straightened out, and online newspaper services don't go too far. That's one of the reasons I don't mind putting the lists I have on here, not only do I get to share a little bit of history, but I also get some much-needed corrections for when I either have faulty info or have to guesstimate on the timeline.

That is very very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, as for Blue chip, originally, Springs Valley, Bloomfield and Mitchell were in BCC, they gradually dropped out over the years, Forest Park joined and has since left for PAC as they added football.

I actually have similar info to this for the Blue Chip that I can post as well. Part of one of my online projects was to start getting info on different Indiana conferences, and it's grown quite a bit. I've been digging up conferences that haven't existed for 50+ years, yet am having a hard time getting info to definitely complete a lot of them. I can post what I have for the BCC either on here or in a new thread if you'd like.

Information noted and corrected in my notes (I have to play with my original post to see if I can edit it). Who was in the WIC during the '82-83 season? All I could see there was Brazil, South Vermillion, Sullivan, and West Vigo. If they continued as a 4-team conference, that would make sense, since my records (which were from a football site) show those four being the only schools left after '77, so they may have been a basketball conference, but not a football conference.

With all of the intertwining between the old WIC, SWIAC, TRC, and BCC, it's extremely tough to keep everything straightened out, and online newspaper services don't go too far. That's one of the reasons I don't mind putting the lists I have on here, not only do I get to share a little bit of history, but I also get some much-needed corrections for when I either have faulty info or have to guesstimate on the timeline.

Ahh, I screwed it up--the last year for the WIC was the '81-'82 season--with the four teams you mentioned. North Knox was in the WIC for a brief time in the late 70's, after Schulte and State High closed and Greencastle had shipped out to the West Central Conference.

Ahh, I screwed it up--the last year for the WIC was the '81-'82 season--with the four teams you mentioned. North Knox was in the WIC for a brief time in the late 70's, after Schulte and State High closed and Greencastle had shipped out to the West Central Conference.

Information noted and corrected in my notes, thank you again. LOL Do you have all of this info in your head, or are there some books that would have some of this stuff I need to be on the lookout for?

Information noted and corrected in my notes, thank you again. LOL Do you have all of this info in your head, or are there some books that would have some of this stuff I need to be on the lookout for?

The IHSAA publishes a yearly directory with conference affiliations included.

If you really want to slum, you can go back thru 44 years of the Indiana Basketball Handbook for the information.

It doesn't help that some of them don't exist.

I'm glad though that BNL has always scheduled a SWIAC school. Its a shoutout to the pre-consolidation era.

I'm surprised that none of the schools that became WRV were an original member.

The formation of the SW7 for football may have saved the current SWIAC and Blue Chip from major realignment. I wonder if the SWIAC and Blue Chip have ever considered merging to form a megaconference? It won't happen, but would be neat to think of how hotly contested that conference title race would be every year. It would also give more hope to the perrenial bottom-dwellers that they may not finish last in their conference every year. Just curious....when was the last time someone other than BR, Loog, or ND won the blue chip for boys basketball?

The formation of the SW7 for football may have saved the current SWIAC and Blue Chip from major realignment. I wonder if the SWIAC and Blue Chip have ever considered merging to form a megaconference? It won't happen, but would be neat to think of how hotly contested that conference title race would be every year. It would also give more hope to the perrenial bottom-dwellers that they may not finish last in their conference every year. Just curious....when was the last time someone other than BR, Loog, or ND won the blue chip for boys basketball?

North Daviess is no longer in the Blue Chip (as you no doubt know) and they never won a championship in boys basketball while they were in the conference to my knowledge. I'm guessing Forest Park is the answer to your question - probably 4 or 5 years ago. Of course, FP is no longer in the conference either.

Just some BCC trivia:

Chartered in 1968. Charter members were BR, Bloomfield, Loogootee, North Daviess, North Knox, South Knox, Springs Valley. Later that year Mitchell was added. Since that time Bloomfield, North Daviess, Mitchell, and Springs Valley have resigned. North Knox resigned in 1977, but rejoined in 1987. Dubois, Forest Park, Rivet, Shoals, and Washington Catholic were added at various times in the 70's/80's. Forest Park resigned in 2007, which really hurt the conference as they are an elite school both academically and athletically. Wood Memorial was added in 2001.

At many points in time the BCC was an outstanding conference. It has obviously fallen off considerably in recent years.

North Daviess is no longer in the Blue Chip (as you no doubt know) and they never won a championship in boys basketball while they were in the conference to my knowledge. I'm guessing Forest Park is the answer to your question - probably 4 or 5 years ago. Of course, FP is no longer in the conference either.

Just some BCC trivia:

Chartered in 1968. Charter members were BR, Bloomfield, Loogootee, North Daviess, North Knox, South Knox, Springs Valley. Later that year Mitchell was added. Since that time Bloomfield, North Daviess, Mitchell, and Springs Valley have resigned. North Knox resigned in 1977, but rejoined in 1987. Dubois, Forest Park, Rivet, Shoals, and Washington Catholic were added at various times in the 70's/80's. Forest Park resigned in 2007, which really hurt the conference as they are an elite school both academically and athletically. Wood Memorial was added in 2001.

At many points in time the BCC was an outstanding conference. It has obviously fallen off considerably in recent years.

Fallen off in recent years???? Let's see Barr-Reeve won conference and was ranked #1 in 1A going into the sectional. Runnerup Loogootee won the 1A state championship this year, alot of conferences would have loved to have that kind of year.

Fallen off in recent years???? Let's see Barr-Reeve won conference and was ranked #1 in 1A going into the sectional. Runnerup Loogootee won the 1A state championship this year, alot of conferences would have loved to have that kind of year.

One or two good teams does not a good conference make. Overall the BCC is way down from what it used to be.

Why did the SWIAC need to be saved?

That is cool, it's pretty amazing the number of schools that have SWIAC roots and what schools have created a rich history. My hat goes off to all members, both past and present.

Why did the SWIAC need to be saved?

I wouldn't say it was a matter of needing to be saved, per se, but they did take a huge hit between 1970 and 1974, losing four schools to consolidation (Spencer becoming too large for the conference when merging to become OV, and the three schools that merged into Bedford-NL) and having Loogootee and Edgewood move to different conferences. They had went from 13 schools to 7 in that year, though they did add Union-Dugger to start replenishing the numbers, and stayed around 7-9 schools until the three schools that bacame WRV merged. The fact that they didn't take Eminence (if there was any interest in the latter to begin with) shows that they're on pretty stable footing now, and don't need to take a team outside of the footprint just to keep the numbers there.

The issue with what would become the SW7 Conference, while I don't think either conference would have folded entirely, definitely looked like it would have caused some major realignment. I think it's quite possible you would have seen one conference consisting of the football schools, while the other would have absorbed the non-fb schools. As it is now, the conferences are in a pretty good shape as far as schools and geography. The SWIAC has the northern area in the region, the BCC the southern, so you have two relatively compact areas instead of two wider-ranging conferences based of fb/non-fb.

The IHSAA publishes a yearly directory with conference affiliations included.

If you really want to slum, you can go back thru 44 years of the Indiana Basketball Handbook for the information.

I may have to hit up the library in Jeffersonville later this week to see if I can't dig up any old IBH copies. I know the IHSAA does release conference affiliations along with their school directory, unfortunately they don't have may older versions online. I wonder if I wouldn't be able to email them to get some of the older info.

Since they're so closely intertwined, I'd figure I'd go ahead and throw the Tri-River Conference in on here.

1964- Three schools from the Western Indiana Conference, Shakamak, Terre Haute Schulte, and Terre Haute State, join with Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Staunton, and Van Buren to form the Tri-River Conference. Schulte and State would play concurrently in the TRC and WIC.

Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Van Buren.

1965- Union-Dugger joins.

Members (9): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1968- Shakamak joins the Southwestern Indiana Conference while maintaining membership in the TRC.

Members (9): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute Schulte, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1971?- Schulte leaves the TRC, becoming a full-time WIC school.

Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1974- Union-Dugger joins Shakamak in having concurrent SWIAC/TRC membership.

Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1977- North Central-Farmersburg joins, after not having been in any known conference previously.

Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Terre Haute State, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1978- Terre Haute State closes, also ending concurrent TRC/WIC membership.

Members (8): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Staunton, Union-Dugger, Van Buren.

1984- Staunton and Van Buren consolidate with Brazil, forming independent Northview.

Members (6): Clay City, Montezuma, North Central-Farmersburg, Rosedale, Shakamak, Union-Dugger.

1986- Montezuma and Rosedale consolidate to form Riverton-Parke, which joins the Wabash River Conference. Eminence and Sullivan join. Sullivan had been playing independently after the WIC collapsed in 1982, and Eminence had been an independent since the demise of the Little 8/4 in 1974.

Members (6): Clay City, Eminence, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1991- Linton-Stockton joins the TRC while remaining in the SWIAC, a reverse move from the moves made by Shakamak and Union-Dugger.

Members (7): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1992- Clay City becomes the fourth school with concurrent SWIAC/TRC membership, joining Linton-Stockton, Shakamak, and Union-Dugger.

Members (7): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Sullivan, Union-Dugger.

1999- Sullivan joins a reformed Western Indiana Conference.

Members (6): Clay City, Eminence, Linton-Stockton, North Central-Farmersburg, Shakamak, Union-Dugger.

2010- With four members in both conferences, the TRC disbands. Those four schools remain in the SWIAC, and are joined by North Central-Farmersburg. Eminence becomes Independent.

Edited by RedBirdRage

Linton didn't come into the Tri-River until the 1991-92 season. Also, Schulte was out of the TRC in the early 70's, and maybe the late 60's--well before they closed their doors.

FWIW (and this is on memory, but most if not all is correct) Eminence was a member of the Little 8 Conference back in the 50's and 60's. Eminence, Reelsville, Fillmore, Cloverdale, New Winchester, Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville were the members. New Winchester closed after the '62-63 season, but I don't think the conference folded until after the '63-'64 season--when Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville consolidated into Cascade. Eminence didn't rejoin a conference until going into the TRC.

Linton didn't come into the Tri-River until the 1991-92 season. Also, Schulte was out of the TRC in the early 70's, and maybe the late 60's--well before they closed their doors.

FWIW (and this is on memory, but most if not all is correct) Eminence was a member of the Little 8 Conference back in the 50's and 60's. Eminence, Reelsville, Fillmore, Cloverdale, New Winchester, Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville were the members. New Winchester closed after the '62-63 season, but I don't think the conference folded until after the '63-'64 season--when Clayton, Amo, and Stilesville consolidated into Cascade. Eminence didn't rejoin a conference until going into the TRC.

Ok, that explains my whole confusion on when L-S joined the SWIAC, for whatever reason I had them joining both at the same time, instead of doing the opposite of what the other SWIAC/TRC schools did. As for Schulte, I've found them listed as WIC by 1971, but can't find any info on which conference they are in between '64 and then.

Interestingly enough, though I'm not sure whether this was technically a conference or not, there was apparently a Little 4 Conference at some point that Eminence was involved in after the L8C. The other three schools were North Salem and Pittsboro from Hendricks County, and Granville-Wells from Boone County. There's also a mention that the Hendricks County schools were in the Little 8, but I'm not sure whether there's anything to that. Here's the link to that convo (not really anything past first page): http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?10149-For-OFC-s-Only

Ok, that explains my whole confusion on when L-S joined the SWIAC, for whatever reason I had them joining both at the same time, instead of doing the opposite of what the other SWIAC/TRC schools did. As for Schulte, I've found them listed as WIC by 1971, but can't find any info on which conference they are in between '64 and then.

Interestingly enough, though I'm not sure whether this was technically a conference or not, there was apparently a Little 4 Conference at some point that Eminence was involved in after the L8C. The other three schools were North Salem and Pittsboro from Hendricks County, and Granville-Wells from Boone County. There's also a mention that the Hendricks County schools were in the Little 8, but I'm not sure whether there's anything to that. Here's the link to that convo (not really anything past first page): http://www.sycamorepride.com/showthread.php?10149-For-OFC-s-Only

I'd bet the farm on my Little 8 schools.

I've slept since then, but I believe they may be correct about the Little Four Conference for a two or three season period in the early 70's with Wells, Pittsboro, North Salem, and Eminence. We played Wells at their place in '74, and I think those were the four schools' banners hanging. Before that, there was once a Big Four Conference in the 50's, with schools from four counties--Montgomery (Ladoga and New Market) Boone (Wells), Putnam (Bainbridge and Roachdale), and Hendricks (Pittsboro and North Salem)

Edited by Rockman

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0