Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Howe

Vincennes Lincoln Holiday Tournament

36 posts in this topic

Indianapolis Howe will participate in the Vincennes Lincoin Holiday Tournament this season. Does anyone know which other teams are included in this tournament?

this might be a new holiday tourney... i looked on ihsaa.org at their schedule and the in-season schedule from last year and it doesn't have them playing in one.

It appears the Vincennes Holiday Tournament is new and will run from December 27 through Decenber 29. The organizers are paying several hundred dollars to participating teams, which indicates they're expecting significant attendance and revenue.

It appears the Vincennes Holiday Tournament is new and will run from December 27 through Decenber 29. The organizers are paying several hundred dollars to participating teams, which indicates they're expecting significant attendance and revenue.

I think i'm correct in saying there will be 8 teams in this tournament. Not sure of format but popular one going around is two pools of four teams, then last day is trophy day so to speak.

Did Vincennes Lincoln used to host a holiday tourney? I seem to recall Bloomfield playing in one when I was younger.

Coach Brett took a few teams to the Lincoln tourney. Bloomfield played Bosse in it one year. Not sure who else was in it.

I have heard that the new Vincennes tourney will include Rivet, Day School, a couple teams from Kentucky and a couple Indy schools (Howe and Tindley I think). I would like to have seen WRV get in this tourney.

Howe lost a considerble degree of talent due to transfer for the upcoming season..

6'9" Malik Fisher transferred to Broad Ripple

6'3" Tyler Alexander transferred tp Northwest

6'4" Raymond Epps transferred to Warren Central

6'0" Ralph Germany transferred to Washington

5'9" Kellen Johnson transferred to Scecina

Hoiwe will still field a formidable team. Their coach is a former D1 player and professional basketball player in Europe, He teaches accountability and fundamentals and the Hornets are very athletic. I'm anxious to see how well they compete in this.tournament.

Howe lost a considerble degree of talent due to transfer for the upcoming season..

6'9" Malik Fisher transferred to Broad Ripple

6'3" Tyler Alexander transferred tp Northwest

6'4" Raymond Epps transferred to Warren Central

6'0" Ralph Germany transferred to Washington

5'9" Kellen Johnson transferred to Scecina

Hoiwe will still field a formidable team. Their coach is a former D1 player and professional basketball player in Europe, He teaches accountability and fundamentals and the Hornets are very athletic. I'm anxious to see how well they compete in this.tournament.

I would think they would do OK. You are probably familar with Tindley. Rivet and Day will be fairly average class A teams. Kentucky teams usually struggle against Indiana teams. On the other hand Vincennes will be good. They lost some players but return most of the team that really outplayed Evansville Bosse in a tough 3A Regional loss last year.

Did Vincennes Lincoln used to host a holiday tourney? I seem to recall Bloomfield playing in one when I was younger.

In 1975-76, Lincoln hosted a tournament at Adams Coliseum, it was Vincennes Lincoln vs. Turkey Run and Loogootee vs. Munster. Lincoln and Monster won the semifinals and Loogootee defeated Turkey run in consolation game and Lincoln beat Munster for title.

In 1975-76, Lincoln hosted a tournament at Adams Coliseum, it was Vincennes Lincoln vs. Turkey Run and Loogootee vs. Munster. Lincoln and Monster won the semifinals and Loogootee defeated Turkey run in consolation game and Lincoln beat Munster for title.

Definitely not it. I'm thinking late 80's, early 90's.

Definitely not it. I'm thinking late 80's, early 90's.

Well I'm old so I remember things from long time ago best anyway, of course late 80's they would still have been at Adams. Not sure when new high school and gym opened. I know we beat Lincoln in new gym in 1993, which was last regular season game between Lincoln and Loogootee.

I remember that game quite well. It was the season after the Lions finished runner up and they were subsequently ranked very high the next season and so a talented Munster squad was really "up" for the game and popped Loogootee pretty good.

I'm pretty sure Vincennes hosted tourneys often (not sure about every year). I remember East Chicago Roosevelt coming there in the late 60's when Jerry Memering played for Vincennes.

I remember that game quite well. It was the season after the Lions finished runner up and they were subsequently ranked very high the next season and so a talented Munster squad was really "up" for the game and popped Loogootee pretty good.

I'm pretty sure Vincennes hosted tourneys often (not sure about every year). I remember East Chicago Roosevelt coming there in the late 60's when Jerry Memering played for Vincennes.

I remember those two final four teams in '68-'69 with Jerry Memering. Undefeated until state semifinal game when they lost to Gary Tolleston. I also remember the great Scottsburg team lead by the James brothers that Lincoln beat in afternoon game of semistate in '69, both teams were undefeated, my parents were at that game and they drove back to Jasper to take me to semistate final game between Lincoln and Rex Mundi, it wasn't much of a game as Vincennes won by over 20pts. Ironically Loogootee St. John's had beaten that Rex Mundi team in final game of season finishing last season as school undefeated and we know what happened in '70 with remnents of the St. John's team combined with Lion players especially Brian Canada who had a great day on 3/14/70, I believe he scored over 50 points in two semi-state games.

Edited by Lagote74

I remember those two final four teams in '68-'69 with Jerry Memering. Undefeated until state semifinal game when they lost to Gary Tolleston. I also remember the great Scottsburg team lead by the James brothers that Lincoln beat in afternoon game of semistate in '69, both teams were undefeated, my parents were at that game and they drove back to Jasper to take me to semistate final game between Lincoln and Rex Mundi, it wasn't much of a game as Vincennes won by over 20pts. Ironically Loogootee St. John's had beaten that Rex Mundi team in final game of season finishing last season as school undefeated and we know what happened in '70 with remnents of the St. John's team combined with Lion players especially Brian Canada who had a great day on 3/14/70, I believe he scored over 50 points in two semi-state games.

I remember Rex Mundi having a really good player. I believe his name was Farmer?

I remember Rex Mundi having a really good player. I believe his name was Farmer?

Yes I remember that too. St. John's always played Rex Mundi last game of season. I was considered it's biggest game of the year. Loogootee Lions played Rex Mundi in a tournament at Jasper in '66, beating them and Jasper to win that. First season after St. John's closed Rex Mundi played in Loogootee tournament won by Mitchell 62-61, then Lions got revenge in regional beating Mitchell 62-55.

Rex Mundi Monarch's most successful season was 1964 when they advanced to IHSAA Final Four at Hinkle Fieldhouse. I'm not sure what year Rex Mundi closed. Diocese of Evansville seemed to be leaning on closing Mater Dei, but changed mind at last minute and closed Rex Mundi instead. I guess in this one the Mother of God won out over the King of the World..lol..if you know your Latin you'll understand:P

Edited by Lagote74

Yes I remember that too. St. John's always played Rex Mundi last game of season. I was considered it's biggest game of the year. Loogootee Lions played Rex Mundi in a tournament at Jasper in '66, beating them and Jasper to win that. First season after St. John's closed Rex Mundi played in Loogootee tournament won by Mitchell 62-61, then Lions got revenge in regional beating Mitchell 62-55.

Rex Mundi Monarch's most successful season was 1964 when they advanced to IHSAA Final Four at Hinkle Fieldhouse. I'm not sure what year Rex Mundi closed. Diocese of Evansville seemed to be leaning on closing Mater Dei, but changed mind at last minute and closed Rex Mundi instead. I guess in this one the Mother of God won out over the King of the World..lol..if you know your Latin you'll understand:P

Latina satis memini.

Rex Mundi closed in '72.

I was told last year University was in this tournament if it came together and it shows on the UHS school calendar. They also show a game with Tindley (second year of a two year contract) on the 27th.

Based on above it "could" be Lincoln, Rivet, Howe, Tindley, University, Day and two Kentucky schools?

Latina satis memini.

The memory of your latin is sufficient! Had to look that one up haha. The nuns taugh us well!

I would think they would do OK. You are probably familar with Tindley. Rivet and Day will be fairly average class A teams. Kentucky teams usually struggle against Indiana teams. On the other hand Vincennes will be good. They lost some players but return most of the team that really outplayed Evansville Bosse in a tough 3A Regional loss last year.

Lincoln returns most of the team that outplayed Bosse in the Regional? Other than Mickens, who are their returning contributors? I think they graduated 5 or 6 seniors...

Lincoln returns most of the team that outplayed Bosse in the Regional? Other than Mickens, who are their returning contributors? I think they graduated 5 or 6 seniors...

You may be right. I remember them as having about 5 of their top 8 returning including of course Mickens. I might be mistaken as I am hardly an expert on Vincennes (or anyone else, come to think of it).

Howe lost about 19 ppg due to transfer, however, the Hornets had no seniors last year and the varsity team returns 41 ppg.. Howe should be capable of replacing most of the 19 ppg lost with Malcolm Donnelly, Nigel Robinson and Jeremy Brown, who played JV last season.

You may be right. I remember them as having about 5 of their top 8 returning including of course Mickens. I might be mistaken as I am hardly an expert on Vincennes (or anyone else, come to think of it).

Vincennes had 6 Seniors last year Jantzen Goodwin, Nick Klumpp, Cameron Claycomb, Bryce Nowaskie, Tyler Stuzman and Jordan Shots.