• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Barr-Reeve
  • Washington
  • Fan

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Mustafa for posting the link.

and Taps, BR defeated Noblesville #2, Eastern Hancock, Valporaiso #2, Penn #2, North Miami, Christian Academy, & Bremen. Their only loss in pool play came in their game against Triton. If memory serves me correctly it ended up being a 3 point game in a fairly low scoring contest (34-31).
BR did not play Northeast Dubois, Orleans, Crawford County, Portage #2, and Hagerstown in pool play.

I do not remember who all they played in their tourney games on Sunday other than they opened with Noblesville, which was a very close game and they did beat Orleans in the tourney as well. They did not get a chance to play Triton again as they were defeated by Dubois. Dubois then fell to Hagerstown, whom BR beat in the final game.

Triton has a tall (6'5"??), slender, blonde haired kid that is very good! Orleans appears to have a host of 3 point shooters, even tho Jones was still out with injury, and I didn't see Andrew Johnson the whole weekend. Perhaps he had other comittments as I didn't think he was a senior last season??

Personally I thought BR looked very well considering they are looking to replace 4 starters. Obviously, I know its summer but BR did get a chance to play lots of different combinations in game situations and were able to play against a variety of styles of basketball. BR appeared to be much stronger physically, in both varsity & JV, then they were at this time last season. Its summer!!, so while I know a lot of what happens now means nothing there were a number of things taken from the summer tourneys that show a lot of promise for the Vikings.

Excellent report - thanks. Did Logan James play? You are right about summer ball not always telling much about how the following season will turn out - but it's usually a pretty good predictor unless there are injuries or other changes. Some kids are able to use the expanded experience to really understand what they need to do to improve - the Zellers come to mind immediately. BR is definitely reloading, but I think they have a chance to be very good. I think Bullock can be very good and I also think Bledsoe can up his game. If those things happen and everyone else makes the sort of progression you would expect given their talents, I see no reason the Vikings can't be a top team in 1A again.

Was the good player for Triton Clay Yeo, or someone else? Yeo is one of the best seniors in the state for next year.

#12 GOBR

GOBR

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Barr-Reeve
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Excellent report - thanks. Did Logan James play? You are right about summer ball not always telling much about how the following season will turn out - but it's usually a pretty good predictor unless there are injuries or other changes. Some kids are able to use the expanded experience to really understand what they need to do to improve - the Zellers come to mind immediately. BR is definitely reloading, but I think they have a chance to be very good. I think Bullock can be very good and I also think Bledsoe can up his game. If those things happen and everyone else makes the sort of progression you would expect given their talents, I see no reason the Vikings can't be a top team in 1A again.

Was the good player for Triton Clay Yeo, or someone else? Yeo is one of the best seniors in the state for next year.

Yes, I believe Yeo is correct.

Logan James played 'varsity only' on the weekend. He didn't do anything to make your head spin but he was certainly NOT a liability. Strong ballhandler; dribbles close to the floor (ha), but as Coach Hughes pointed out on occasion; needs to look to score more. But, as you know, he's an incoming freshman so he'll get more comfortable in the offense as we go along. It was a good weekend for all the Viking teams; not just the varsity.
Dream dreams of things that have never been and ask Why not?

#13 ACE08

ACE08

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Media Member
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

In the land of self destruction...dreams are dashed.

Edited by ACE08, 13 July 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#14 JohnDeereGreen

JohnDeereGreen

Varsity

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • North Daviess
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I haven't heard much on the area teams either. Hope all had a good summer!

#15 Rade Butcher 25

Rade Butcher 25

JV Coach

• Detention
  • 337 posts
  • North Judson
  • Winamac
  • Fan

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Triton has a tall (6'5"??), slender, blonde haired kid that is very good!

his name is clay yeo and he has committed to play at valparaiso university. i've watched the kid play and i think hes pretty decent.. not sure how he'll fair up at valpo next year because goin from 1A ball to mid-major d1 is a big transition and i also have doubts about some of the teammates he has on his squad... i know hes a pretty decent bball player but besides 1 other kid.. i think shepherd or andrews cant remember (he transferred from tippecanoe valley) everyone else averaged around I think 5 to 6 points a game at the highest.

I figured if he played on a team that had 2 or 3 decent shooters.. he'd average around 17-19 points.. but not 25 or 26 what he averaged last year.

Edited by Rade Butcher 25, 04 August 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#16 taps browning

taps browning

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Barr-Reeve
  • Washington
  • Fan

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

his name is clay yeo and he has committed to play at valparaiso university. i've watched the kid play and i think hes pretty decent.. not sure how he'll fair up at valpo next year because goin from 1A ball to mid-major d1 is a big transition and i also have doubts about some of the teammates he has on his squad... i know hes a pretty decent bball player but besides 1 other kid.. i think shepherd or andrews cant remember (he transferred from tippecanoe valley) everyone else averaged around I think 5 to 6 points a game at the highest.

I figured if he played on a team that had 2 or 3 decent shooters.. he'd average around 17-19 points.. but not 25 or 26 what he averaged last year.

I have seen him only once - in the State finals game against Indy Met when he was a sophmore. I was really impressed with him and thought he was easily the best player on the floor that night. You are correct that it is a big jump from 1A to college ball, but he has played in enough AAU and all star type games that it may not be so much of a "sticker shock" situation for him.

#17 mLtwo4

mLtwo4

JV Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Triton
  • Warsaw
  • Fan

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

He needs to get a lot stronger and develop his jumper but I think he'll be just fine at the next level, once he does those things. Valpo will lose 7 seniors so he'll more than likely be depended on to contribute right away.

If he had a couple decent shooters on his team they'd be pretty tough to beat and he'd still average his 25-27 or so. He was a Junior All Star from the North and in my opinion has a legitimate shot at being an Indiana All Star. Coming from a 1A school I'd say that's pretty special.

#18 Bud's Boy 62

Bud's Boy 62

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Jesus Christ. My wife and children. Love my church. Love my school.
  • Triton
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yeo is from a 1A school, but Triton does not play your typical 1A schedule. I believe they have at least 9 - 10 games with 3A & 4A schools on the schedule this year including Warsaw, Plymouth, Northwood and Marian (with Demetrius Jackson). Clay has also taken his workouts very seriously this year and he'll be ready to bang with the big boys. Interesting side note on Yeo: He wanted to play football this year for Triton but was respectfully declined the opportunity by Triton's football head coach! One of his reasons for wanting to play had to do with "toughening up" in preparation for college basketball. He would have been any QB's dream! At 6'7", and being a semi-state level high jumper as a frosh, all a guy would have to do is get it up in the air in his direction! Could have changed the game dramatically! Cudos to the coach for saying "no" and preserving Yeo's college basketball dream!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users