Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

"Under the new system, schools will earn one point for a sectional championship, two points for a regional championship, three for a semi-state title and four for a state championship. If a school earns six or more points during a specified two-year period which would be two state championship appearances that school would compete in the next highest enrollment class for the ensuing two seasons. Tournament success for the 2011-12 and 12-13 school years will determine classifications for 2013-14."

http://blogs.indysta...or-team-sports/

#2 basketballfan1000

basketballfan1000

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Jasper
  • Forest Park
  • Ex-player

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Stupid is as stupid does...and you can count on the IHSAA for always being stupid. Those that voted for it should step down off the IHSAA board.

#3 ACE08

ACE08

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Media Member
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

You can compare the IHSAA to the NCAA with the "dumb" decision department. Anyone that voted for this moronic proposal is unfit to serve on their kangaroo board :P

#4 Dave Mosbey

Dave Mosbey

Athletic Director

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Interests:Playing Disc Golf and Watching sports.
  • Heritage Hills
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

This was done because of football but basketball is a different animal, A team with one or two superstars in basketball could have great suscess then those kids graduate and the next classes are stuck playing up a class.

Heritage Hills Basketball
@davidm1983
All-time record 532-414
PAC titles 14
Sectional titles 9
Heritage Hills Girls Sectional titles 4

#5 LionFan

LionFan

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

1340446684[/url]' post='86725']
This was done because of football but basketball is a different animal, A team with one or two superstars in basketball could have great suscess then those kids graduate and the next classes are stuck playing up a class.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, as a Loogootee basketball fan. Last year the Lions won a state title, and graduated one of their "stars". This year the team could have as many as eight Seniors. The team should be pretty good, and certainly a Regional title isn't an impossible dream. If they win a Regional, almost the entire team graduates, and the next classes play in 2A for a couple of years...
Then again, I am still in favor of going back to single-class basketball, so I won't complain TOO loudly if LHS is "forced" to play against 2A teams. :-)

#6 basketballfan1000

basketballfan1000

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Jasper
  • Forest Park
  • Ex-player

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

A couple good points have been made here. A team could have a really good class and win a couple semi-states or win a regional and then make it to the state the next year and win it (Rockville) and then have several kids graduate. That would then force a team with several new kids playing varsity the next year to play up a class. If the IHSAA would add that a team plays up "if" a team has at least 2 starters that return or something along those lines it would makes a little more sense. I don't understand throwing a young team to the wolves this way.

#7 taps browning

taps browning

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • 1,665 posts
  • Barr-Reeve
  • Washington
  • Fan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

Something had to be done. Remember it isn't just about basketball. If you look at all sports in the class era, and frankly if you just use a little common sense, you can see that it is not close to being a level playing field. Private schools in metro areas totally dominate in most sports. You need look no further than Muncie Burris in girls volleyball to see there is a problem.

I don't know if this is the best solution or not, but I have no doubt that the IHSAA board members have the best interest of all Indiana high school athletes at heart and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how this works out.

#8 ACE08

ACE08

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Media Member
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

That's debatable if ALL IHSAA board members "have the best interest of all Indiana high school athletes at heart." I for one believe some serve on the board for their own selfish interests of the their schools and the heck with everyone else.

#9 semajekart

semajekart

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • 1,787 posts
  • Triton
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Something had to be done. Remember it isn't just about basketball. If you look at all sports in the class era, and frankly if you just use a little common sense, you can see that it is not close to being a level playing field. Private schools in metro areas totally dominate in most sports. You need look no further than Muncie Burris in girls volleyball to see there is a problem.

I don't know if this is the best solution or not, but I have no doubt that the IHSAA board members have the best interest of all Indiana high school athletes at heart and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how this works out.

And that's exactly why class sports *%#!?* to begin with. There's no way to ever ever ever ever "level the playing field", so don't even start trying it. It never stops.
2-1 1-0 4/24 JC-DI4H MO

#10 Lagote74

Lagote74

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

That's exactly what I'm thinking, as a Loogootee basketball fan. Last year the Lions won a state title, and graduated one of their "stars". This year the team could have as many as eight Seniors. The team should be pretty good, and certainly a Regional title isn't an impossible dream. If they win a Regional, almost the entire team graduates, and the next classes play in 2A for a couple of years...
Then again, I am still in favor of going back to single-class basketball, so I won't complain TOO loudly if LHS is "forced" to play against 2A teams. :-)

OK but wouldn't you miss the excitement and rivalries of Sectional 63? We,(Loogootee), Barr-Reeve, and North Daviess especially should protest this ruling, think of Vincennes Rivet the girls basketball success they had, then suddenly they are in 2A for two years?? That is two years lost,without the great rivalries of sectional 63.Someone here said football is to blame, well that is all well and good, but keep it to football!! There have been great amount of private schools winning same class in football for years, punish them! Don't punish Loogootee, Barr-Reeve and NOrth Daviess!! One of those wins that sectional every year and is generally heavily favored at least through regional every year! It's crock to punish success and a winning tradition!! Do as I have and bombard the IHSAA with letters and emails to protest this bone headed move!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users