Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

What do athletes gain from reclassification in high school?

#2 HoBCat

HoBCat

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

I assume you mean to reclassify to a grade lower. They do it to gain another year of development and thus get a better scholorship offier. Many player do that when they go to Prep School. Usually you have to change states to do it though.

#3 colt45

colt45

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

I thought once you started high school, you only have 4 years of athletic eligibility.

#4 OldHatchet

OldHatchet

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Washington
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I thought once you started high school, you only have 4 years of athletic eligibility.

You are correct in that high school athletes cannot "red shirt". However, some parents will refrain from sending a child to high school to maximize their physical development during their high school years.

Other than that, kids cannot "reclassify". Schools are reclassified every two years on the basis of school size to fit into the IHSAA's class system (five classes in football, four in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball, and two in soccer). That has nothing to do with individual students. However, since the class system has been inaugerated, it seems that more attention is paid to the 4A and 3A athletes and less to the 1A and 2A athletes. Part of that is geography. For the most part, 4A schools tend to be clustered around the larger population centers and are closer to media outlets. Likewise, 3A schools tend be based in communities that have radio and newspaper coverage. On the other hand, 2A and 1A schools tend to be rural or are located in smaller communities that receive theri media coverage from larger cities or nearby towns that have their own schools to report on and so the 1A and 2A athletes receive limited coverage from media in nearby larger communities. It is simply a matter of media giving more attention to kids from their local community and less attention to kids from the out-lying areas.

Edited by OldHatchet, 16 June 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#5 HoBCat

HoBCat

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sorry to disagree with you Old Hatchet, but kids do reclassify.

Now, they generally have to go to another state. But many players will play a few years in Indiana, then enroll in a Prep School in a different state and reclassify as a grade lower than they should be and thus gain a 5th year.

Miles Plumlee did that when he left Warsaw after his Junior year. He enrolled at Christ the King school in North Carolina as a Junior. He had to petition the govening body in NC to do so, but it was granted. This gave him 2 years of play in NC.

This gained Miles another year to develop. In that year Standford got a new coach, Miles decommitted to Stanford and enrolled at Duke and then preceeded to win a National Championship. So as you can see, reclassifying has its benefits.

#6 OldHatchet

OldHatchet

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Washington
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Sorry to disagree with you Old Hatchet, but kids do reclassify.

Now, they generally have to go to another state. But many players will play a few years in Indiana, then enroll in a Prep School in a different state and reclassify as a grade lower than they should be and thus gain a 5th year.

Miles Plumlee did that when he left Warsaw after his Junior year. He enrolled at Christ the King school in North Carolina as a Junior. He had to petition the govening body in NC to do so, but it was granted. This gave him 2 years of play in NC.

This gained Miles another year to develop. In that year Standford got a new coach, Miles decommitted to Stanford and enrolled at Duke and then preceeded to win a National Championship. So as you can see, reclassifying has its benefits.

Maybe I miss the original point. I was thinking of moving from 4A to 2A or 1A to 3A or something that nature. What you discussed is, to me, extended eligibility, like a red-shirt year in college. A kid moving from Warsaw to Washington would change the class of athletics he/she participated in from 4A to 3A. The Plumlee situation deals more with extended eligibility than the class in which he participated.

Edited by OldHatchet, 18 June 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#7 ballza59

ballza59

Freshman

• Freshman
  • 3 posts
  • I. Roncalli
  • Southport
  • Fan

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

I think kids do it for one of two reasons. One is becuase they need academic focus and might not be eligible to go on to college without it. The other reason is to give themselves one more season to gain a higher status in recruiting. I think both are unfair to the student who gets it done both on the court and in the c lassroom in four years. It kinda feels like cheating...

#8 HoBCat

HoBCat

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

Maybe I miss the original point. I was thinking of moving from 4A to 2A or 1A to 3A or something that nature. What you discussed is, to me, extended eligibility, like a red-shirt year in college. A kid moving from Warsaw to Washington would change the class of athletics he/she participated in from 4A to 3A. The Plumlee situation deals more with extended eligibility than the class in which he participated.

Reclassify is used in both situations I guess. I don't know if the original question was about kids switching schools for the purpose of being in a different class, 4A to 1A, or switching to be in a different academic class,

I could see moving up in class to gain more exposure if you were at a small school. But so much recruiting is done based on Summer leagues that I don't know how much your high really matters anymore.

#9 colt45

colt45

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

ihsaa rule is 4 consecutive years. So all these kids that reclassify or flunk, they have to leave the state to play? Or do they get an extra year and stay at school they are presently at? Just trying to understand.

#10 HoBCat

HoBCat

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

ihsaa rule is 4 consecutive years. So all these kids that reclassify or flunk, they have to leave the state to play? Or do they get an extra year and stay at school they are presently at? Just trying to understand.

The ones that I am talking that is correct. I have not heard of it being done within one state.

Even coming from another state there must be special circumstances. However, my guess is that some states are more willing to do this than others.

Speaking to the situation that I am familiar with. Miles Plumlee went to a private school in NC. The private schools have their own tournament there, they don't play the public schools. So whatever governing agency monitors the private schools must allow reclassification. Why, well maybe its because if these players come to NC to play at a private school and get preferred treatment, then they stay in NC to play their college ball, hmmmmmm. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users