Varsity

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Concord
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

I don't consider myself a zealot (of course most zealots don't) but I have noticed an alarming trend when it comes to the playing of the National Anthem before games. Many schools (including the school I support) don't even have their players out of the locker room to participate. At last night's away game both teams were on the floor for the Anthem but I noticed only one player from our team covering his heart with his hand and no one from the opposing team. A quick glance at the cheerleaders revealed the usual "team pose"--only the host school's cheerleaders didn't cover their hearts with their hands but rather made a fist that was held six inches or so away from their chests, elbow out--more reminiscent of Nazi Germany than America's Heartland.

Is this just a local phenomenon or is the trend more widespread? I think we're missing a wonderful opportunity to teach our youth principles of proper respect and national pride.

#2 semajekart

semajekart

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Triton
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm not overly concerned how people show respect during the national anthem, as long as they show respect. And take their hats off.

What bugs me just as bad is when people or bands turn the Star Spangled Banner into some R&B or hip-hop song and make it look like a circus opening. Just sing or play the dang thing like it's supposed to be. That's disrespect IMO. And I HATE it.

FWIW, I usually stand with both hands behind my back.

Edited by semajekart, 08 January 2011 - 01:31 PM.

2-1 1-0 4/24 JC-DI4H MO

#3 Fanman

Fanman

Assistant Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

We never use to be out during the national anthem at Warsaw. After 9-11, we came out before every game. I was taught at a young age to put my hand over my heart, and will teach that same thing to my son. I don't have a problem with people putting their hands behind their back during it, but I get really upset when people are talking around me during it. Yes, I was that kid in middle school that went off on kids for talking during the national anthem before games.

#4 Enjoying Basketball

Enjoying Basketball

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, Windmills, and Cold Weather
  • Northfield
  • Argos
  • Fan

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Most games I have been to teams are out and standing at attention respecting the Anthem and the Flag of our country.

Some place their hands over their heart and other do not.

I personally feel it is ok for HS bands or singers to interepret the Star Spangled Banner in their own way with due respect.

Some love the interpretation Jimi Hendrix did of the National Anthem. Some hated it.

I like others am bothered by those that continue to walk around, talk, and eat while it is playing.

If you remain silent and stand that should suffice though not totally within the standards.

Here is the US Code 301 that governs proper etiquette during the playing of the National Anthem:

http://uscode.house....ad/pls/36C3.txt

#5 SHS91

SHS91

Freshman

• Freshman
  • 8 posts
  • Salem
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thank you Enjoying Basketball for the link---I always put my hands behind my back, but starting tonight my right hand will be over my heart.

#6 Grover

Grover

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Center Grove
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

I ALWAYS stand at attention with my right hand over my heart.

CG's student section sings the national anthem before home games. Not well, mind you, but I like that they are singing it.

#7 Patriot23

Patriot23

Varsity

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • West Vigo
  • TH North
  • Ex-player

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Our coach makes our players put their right foot on the baseline, and put their right hand over their heart.

#8 Chris Johannes

Chris Johannes

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Heritage Hills
  • South Spencer
  • Media

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

I don't consider myself a zealot (of course most zealots don't) but I have noticed an alarming trend when it comes to the playing of the National Anthem before games. Many schools (including the school I support) don't even have their players out of the locker room to participate. At last night's away game both teams were on the floor for the Anthem but I noticed only one player from our team covering his heart with his hand and no one from the opposing team. A quick glance at the cheerleaders revealed the usual "team pose"--only the host school's cheerleaders didn't cover their hearts with their hands but rather made a fist that was held six inches or so away from their chests, elbow out--more reminiscent of Nazi Germany than America's Heartland.

Is this just a local phenomenon or is the trend more widespread? I think we're missing a wonderful opportunity to teach our youth principles of proper respect and national pride.

Many/most football teams are not out during the anthem...basketball shouldn't be any different. On that point why are anthems before the varsity game and not the JV game?

Nothing Anti-American about not being on the court.

Covering your heart is a personal choice. Cheerleaders I've seen typically salute the same way you've mentioned. America is special, because it respects individual choices. Please don't infringe those.

You're really overthinking it. So long as people aren't disrespectful during the anthem MYOB.

#9 DONTH8

DONTH8

Varsity

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Concord
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

You're really overthinking it.

And I respect your right to underthink it.

#10 jhswildcat79

jhswildcat79

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Jasper
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

i dont think standing with your hands behind your back is disrespectful. people talking,texting,giggling, do irk me. the only words coming out of anyones mouth at that time should be the words to the song(regardless how bad a person sings) . i too have wondered why it isnt done before the jv game. honestly if you dont want to respect the flag,come in a few minutes later.

people have given their lives to ensure we have the right to be free. respect the flag for that is what it truly represents.

Edited by jhswildcat79, 09 January 2011 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users