Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoopswizard23

Refs

29 posts in this topic

I was wondering this the other day, how much do high school refs make a game? I'm sure it usually depends on the school but I don't have the slightest of clue.

I believe ours make about $65 a game, give or take $10? I used to do some elementary boys and girls games and got $45 for A and B games combined.

I believe ours make about $65 a game, give or take $10?

Not enough to put up with the constant heckling. Worst thing IMO about HS basketball in Indiana is that you cannot go a single game without someone complaining and yelling at the refs. It seems like no team wins or losses nowadays, it's one team got screwed by the officials or one got shown favoritism.

I don't disagree, but it's not that difficult IMO. Maybe I'm just thick skinned, but I'll take $65 bucks for 2 hours of work any day. Yell, piss, and moan all you want, I won't lose sleep over it. See violation, blow whistle. The end.

I don't disagree, but it's not that difficult IMO. Maybe I'm just thick skinned, but I'll take $65 bucks for 2 hours of work any day. Yell, piss, and moan all you want, I won't lose sleep over it. See violation, blow whistle. The end.

ha, that mindset makes you the perfect ref!

That's why I qualify for a great heckler, too. I'd be glad to take your whistle, thanks for asking! Hehe :P

I think you may be qualified for politics too. tongue.gif

I haven't seen too many games decided by bad referee calls that often anymore.

Me neither, but people like to use the excuse as a crutch a lot.

Me neither, but people like to use the excuse as a crutch a lot.

I always tell people that for every bad mistake by a referee in a game, team has 5-6 opportunities (before and after the call) to negate it.

I haven't seen too many games decided by bad referee calls that often anymore.

I think there are more bad people officiating than I have ever seen. There have always been bad officials, just like there are bad teachers, bad doctors, bad engineers. I had a license for a couple of years and did mostly JR High games and I was a bad official. A good friend of mine was a varsity official for years. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet, he was smart, had been an athlete himself and despite this he was an absolutely terrible official. But what I am talking about now is I see more people that aren't just technically bad, but they have the wrong sort of attitude. I see too many that are in in for the perceived power they feel. I personally know some officials that I wouldn't trust to take a dollar and deposit it for me, if you know what I mean.

I think there are more bad people officiating than I have ever seen. There have always been bad officials, just like there are bad teachers, bad doctors, bad engineers. But what I am talking about now is I see more people that aren't just technically bad, but they have the wrong sort of attitude. I see too many that are in in for the perceived power they feel.

Precisely

I think there are more bad people officiating than I have ever seen. There have always been bad officials, just like there are bad teachers, bad doctors, bad engineers. I had a license for a couple of years and did mostly JR High games and I was a bad official. A good friend of mine was a varsity official for years. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet, he was smart, had been an athlete himself and despite this he was an absolutely terrible official. But what I am talking about now is I see more people that aren't just technically bad, but they have the wrong sort of attitude. I see too many that are in in for the perceived power they feel. I personally know some officials that I wouldn't trust to take a dollar and deposit it for me, if you know what I mean.

With most games having 3 man crews now you would expect the quality to drop to a degree because you have officials working Varsity games that might be working lower level if we still had 2 man crews.Just like the quality of players drop in pro sports when the leage expands.

I would gladly pay 10 bucks a game if that money could make its way to improving our pitaful situation of absolutely horrible officiating that I swear couldnt get worse, but every year seems to...

I have seen several games decided by officiating...All the way through the game and then even last calls of the game.....Maybe those who havent, are watching 3A or 4A...Im telling you 1A is awful!

I will continue to heckle!

Heckle away. A good official doesn't hear or of they do hear doesn't care. We understand different angles make plays look different as well as loyalty to the team the call went against. What are your teams for posters in this topic?

coach howard (jasper's baseball coach when i played) said........if you let the official beat you......you let the official beat you. good teams take care of bizness...bad teams blame it on the official. when you look at a game and "notice" the bad calls.........notice too the missed free throws.........the bad passes ......the useless fouls......lackadaisical defense.. bad calls are a part of the game.......as bad things are a part of life. how a team deals with them is what decides the outcome.take responsibilty for what you did........that is how you improve.

coach howard (jasper's baseball coach when i played) said........if you let the official beat you......you let the official beat you. good teams take care of bizness...bad teams blame it on the official. when you look at a game and "notice" the bad calls.........notice too the missed free throws.........the bad passes ......the useless fouls......lackadaisical defense.. bad calls are a part of the game.......as bad things are a part of life. how a team deals with them is what decides the outcome.take responsibilty for what you did........that is how you improve.

Well said! Not that I am not saying there are horrible officials out there, I know there are, I have worked with some in my years as an official!blink.gif

With most games having 3 man crews now you would expect the quality to drop to a degree because you have officials working Varsity games that might be working lower level if we still had 2 man crews.Just like the quality of players drop in pro sports when the leage expands.

3 refs for high school is a terrible idea all 3 see the violation and wait on the other two to make the call by then its to late and nothing gets called then you get a cheap make up call

Tonight the Hatchets played against Edgewood, and I have to give credit to an officiating crew that did a very good job. They called the game TIGHT from opening whistle to final horn. Since we played the more aggressive defense, we were the first to feel the impact, as our ace defender was sitting the pine with a few minutes left in the first and stayed there until the second half. The refs stayed CONSISTENT throughout the game, which is all anyone can ask. Even in the late stages of the game, with 4 subs in for the Hatchets, there was a potential incident brewing under out hoop, and the refs stopped it before it had a chance to escalate.

I have seen some horrible officiating, but I also have to give credit when deserved.

3 refs for high school is a terrible idea all 3 see the violation and wait on the other two to make the call by then its to late and nothing gets called then you get a cheap make up call

I absolutely agree! Three is one too many!

The "waiting for the other guy to make the call" is a problem when you get three officials who do not usually work together. When I was calling football we traveled together and spent the travel time discussing game situations and how we could be more effective in administering the game. We knew who was responsible for each area of the field and avoided the "your-call-my-call" quandry. I think the "crew" concept (a "team" of officials who spend the season calling games together) is a much better idea than the "individual contractor" concept used in basketball. Football has used the crew concept for years. In fact, officials are evaluated and advance in tournament play on the basis of crews rather than individuals. Might be something for the basketball folks to look at.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0