Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Rochester
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

I know this might be a controversial issue, but I was just wondering about a drug testing policy in high school sports. I have been out of high school for one year and I know that drugs are rampant through high school sports, a popular one being marijuana, steroids are also an issue.

I am not necessarily for this idea, but has it been discussed before? What could be some possible plans? What are some thoughts and opinions?

Just thought this might be a good discussion to get us through the doldrums until post season play.

I for one know I would have lost a few teammates on the gridiron my senior year, and know it can affect kid's decisions to play or not.

Once again I apologize if this upsets anyone it can be controversial, just trying to liven up the board.

#2 3PTer

3PTer

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • FW North
  • N. Central (I)
  • Fan

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

As long as all of the legal issues are approved/followed then I think all teams should be required to do it. Since they took discipline out of the schools things have taken a major turn for the worse. This is a way to help clean things up.

It is a privilege to be involved in extracurricular activities, not a right.

#3 blm25super

blm25super

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Blgtn. South
  • Bedford NL
  • Alumni

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

I am 100% for random drug testing. But what do you do when you find an athlete using? I like the idea of random testing. It sort of leaves it all up to the invisible know all to manifest illegal activity.

#4 Dracula

Dracula

Varsity

• Varsity
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Lawrenceburg
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

If the IHSAA has trouble paying for state tournaments, they have no business attempting to fund drug testing.

While drug testing would be ideal for all levels of competition, to expect the IHSAA (or the schools themselves) to pay for extra (and sometimes unnecessary) testing on student-athletes is not only bad budgeting, but stupidity.

#5 ZebraCannon34

ZebraCannon34

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Rochester
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

I am 100% for random drug testing. But what do you do when you find an athlete using? I like the idea of random testing. It sort of leaves it all up to the invisible know all to manifest illegal activity.

Well it would depend on the drug, I know that schools would find kids with Tobacco products in their system and that would result in a suspension of a few games according to the athletic handbook that school has. That is a good question such as what if marijuana is found or another illegal drug, is it their duty to report it to the authorities?

#6 DCSomeone

DCSomeone

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • North Daviess
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

I don't know about the IHSAA requiring, but several of our local high schools have random drug testing for any student participating in extracurricular actvities--sports, band, choir, clubs, etc. Even for the privilege of driving to school.

#7 PlymouthChamps*82*07

PlymouthChamps*82*07

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Plymouth
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

Drug testing is terrible and should be banned. America is supposed to be land of the free, and recreational drug use does not hurt anyone other than the user. We don't need big brother telling us what to do in every aspect of life.

#8 ZebraCannon34

ZebraCannon34

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Rochester
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

Yes, but how about when you run into a steroid incident? If some kids are using roids and just running over the competition how is that fair, just like Mark, Barry, and Sammy.

#9 semajekart

semajekart

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Triton
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Drug testing is terrible and should be banned. America is supposed to be land of the free, and recreational drug use does not hurt anyone other than the user. We don't need big brother telling us what to do in every aspect of life.

Not sure about that one. Schools just try to step in and push some responsibility and consequences that kids may not get in their own household. Doesn't sound like a terrible thing.

But I think the random drug testing is the most common. But, the minimal amount of testing they do just makes it a waste. Your odds of getting caught are still very slim, and who knows if they're really "random"? What incentive does a school have to catch kids anyways? Probably gives that school a bad rep if anything. Either no testing, or test all athletes, IMO. If they want to play at the next level, they'll have to get used to it anyways.
2-1 1-0 4/24 JC-DI4H MO

#10 RedBirdRage

RedBirdRage

Junior Varsity

• Junior Varsity
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Batesville
  • Fan

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Actually the drug testing the NCAA uses is mainly focused on finding 'roids and other performance-enhancers. They don't really pay attention to trace amounts of marijuana or narcotics, so if someone fails a drug test for non-performance drugs, they'd have to have some major amounts for the NCAA to get involved. For the most part, those offenses are handled by the school, and usually only happen when either a player is arrested or is caught with the stuff in their dorm.

Keep in mind that the NCAA is a multibillion dollar corporation essentially, and has the resources to do this. The IHSAA, however, doesn't have nearly the available resources. The schools also don't have the resources that a college or university has, and also faces more stringent monetary standards (a public school obviously can't raise tuition). Especially with the economy in a bind like it has been the past few years, it seems foolhardy for either the IHSAA or schools themselves to be putting the money into drug testing. Many schools in the state have enough problem in providing a quality education, so that money could better be spent improving the academic end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users