Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zebraboiler24

TRC 2009/2010

185 posts in this topic

It seems as though the TRC has some question marks entering this season:

1. Can Rochester have another successful year? RHS has plenty of young talent waiting to see some time, the question is whether they will be ready to go for varsity action.

2. Will Southwood break through and rise to the top?

3. Can Greg Miller carry N. Miami to a TRC title?

4. How will Valley respond after a disappointing year last year? Is this Patrick's final year?

5. Will Whitko build from the success of last season?

6. What does Manchester have?

7. What about Northfield?

8. ...and scrappy Wabash?

Any thoughts/info would be appreciated. I really don't know what everyone has coming back, so I'm interested in your comments.

Hello sir i havent talked to you in awhile:)

ill answer your questions as i see fit.

Wabash is pretty young and small. theyre biggest guy i think is 6'2'' maybe 6'1'' they play hard and battle every second but lack of size and talent will make it hard.

Northfield is really young and talented. They have a pretty good all around team Givens is a 6'5'' sophomore whos still getting better. Also Dustin Echard is a good physical guard learning the ropes of varsity as well. Led by a senior Micheal Coburn whos played since his freshman year and is a good outside shooter. Hes looking to come back off an injury plagued season last year.

Manchester is a taller version of Wabash in my opinion. Scott Baker is a good big guy in the middle and hes just a junior. I think he will have a good breakout season this year.

Valley has Zach Owens and good coach. They have some other good kids around owens but im not sure of there names. We saw valley a lot this summer and they have definately gotten better.

Whitko is going to be tough returning Irwin but losing Kaden krull and Cory Metzger who were big parts of there team (i know metzger quit late season last year).

I dont think i need to tell you about Rochester :huh: and I wont speak about my own team.

I think it will come down to Whitko, Southwood, and maybe Rochester (Who will be Rochesters Bruce this year?)

I believe this is the year that Greg Miller and the North Miami Warriors will take the TRC crown. Miller is uber-talented and his supporting cast is good enough that even if a team focuses on stopping Miller, they can be good enough to win the game for NM.

1) NM

2) Southwood

3) Rochester

4) Whitko

5) Northfield

6) Valley

7) Manchester

8) Wabash

Hello sir i havent talked to you in awhile:)

ill answer your questions as i see fit.

Wabash is pretty young and small. theyre biggest guy i think is 6'2'' maybe 6'1'' they play hard and battle every second but lack of size and talent will make it hard.

Northfield is really young and talented. They have a pretty good all around team Givens is a 6'5'' sophomore whos still getting better. Also Dustin Echard is a good physical guard learning the ropes of varsity as well. Led by a senior Micheal Coburn whos played since his freshman year and is a good outside shooter. Hes looking to come back off an injury plagued season last year.

Manchester is a taller version of Wabash in my opinion. Scott Baker is a good big guy in the middle and hes just a junior. I think he will have a good breakout season this year.

Valley has Zach Owens and good coach. They have some other good kids around owens but im not sure of there names. We saw valley a lot this summer and they have definately gotten better.

Whitko is going to be tough returning Irwin but losing Kaden krull and Cory Metzger who were big parts of there team (i know metzger quit late season last year).

I dont think i need to tell you about Rochester :huh: and I wont speak about my own team.

I think it will come down to Whitko, Southwood, and maybe Rochester (Who will be Rochesters Bruce this year?)

TV has Owen, with a supporting cast of Kitch and Burkhart (I believe). Kitch is a tall, athletic wing player while Burkhart has seen quality varsity time as a guard over the past couple of seasons and is a pretty good outside shooter.

I don't think Rochester has a Bruce Grimm this year. The closest we have is probably Colt Meadows. He is a quick, fast guard with good range and is not afraid to be physical and pull down rebounds. We have Bowers and Basham coming back as well. It will interesting to see how we respond to having the target on our backs for a change.

Mac-- I'd agree with your list, at least this early in the season.

I believe this is the year that Greg Miller and the North Miami Warriors will take the TRC crown. Miller is uber-talented and his supporting cast is good enough that even if a team focuses on stopping Miller, they can be good enough to win the game for NM.

1) NM

2) Southwood

3) Rochester

4) Whitko

5) Northfield

6) Valley

7) Manchester

8) Wabash

Believe you me, I'd be the last person to ever predict Southwood to win its FIRST EVER basketball conference championship, but North Miami just won't have enough to go with Miller to get the job done.

Believe you me, I'd be the last person to ever predict Southwood to win its FIRST EVER basketball conference championship, but North Miami just won't have enough to go with Miller to get the job done.

First ever trc and hopefully second sectional :)

I agree though...i dont know who he was talkin about surrounding greg...duncans a good shooter but theyre not quite as good as last year.

First ever trc

We've been close before (an inbounds pass away in 1983) but no cigar. Take no one lightly and take no prisoners!

We've been close before (an inbounds pass away in 1983) but no cigar. Take no one lightly and take no prisoners!

Thanks for the advice but nooooo we wont were lookin to win as big as we can every game

we scrimmaged broad ripple today score cleared after each quarter but we won 55-54

no free throws...jv came in at the end and gave up a few threes rob patteron...very athletic very good

A healthy Zac VanDeWater will make a big difference for Whitko. He should have a huge year for them.

Every time I hear that stat about the Knights never having won a TRC crown, it shocks me. The Knights were nails in our side (Maconaquah) in the late 1990s. Paul Wright was a baller, and twin brother Tom was no slouch, either. Recently they've been pretty good too (and are now). I played in summer leagues with that giant Russian kid (Sergey Struck?). He had potential all over him, but I always thought he failed to live up to his potential.

Every time I hear that stat about the Knights never having won a TRC crown, it shocks me. The Knights were nails in our side (Maconaquah) in the late 1990s. Paul Wright was a baller, and twin brother Tom was no slouch, either. Recently they've been pretty good too (and are now). I played in summer leagues with that giant Russian kid (Sergey Struck?). He had potential all over him, but I always thought he failed to live up to his potential.

Oh, I could recount the stories, including some from when we were in the MIC! I still remember Maconaquah coming to our place, beating a pretty good Southwood team and then holding an impromptu net-cutting ceremony with our fans ready to go to war. The game I referred to in 1983 was a SRO sellout with Oak Hill. We had the lead but felt the need to call a timeout with seconds remaining to talk strategy. We couldn't get it back in and the Golden Turkeys whupped us. We lost three games that year, one in the county tourney, one in the conference and one in sectional and walked away with no hardware to show for it. Manchester was always our nemesis, always a very solid program back to the days of Larry Bilger.

"that giant Russian kid (Sergey Struck?). He had potential all over him, but I always thought he failed to live up to his potential."

hey mac:

The Big Russian is starting at one of the 4's for the U of Indy Greyhounds, who just beat D2 national champ findlay.

Potientially speaking, of course...

http://athletics.uindy.edu/index.aspx?tab=...amp;path=mbball

yeah i was going to say sergey is a good friend of mine and always comes to ball with us when hes home from college and hes gotten A LOT better since highschool.

and hes an all around good guy

and southwood hasnt had the best of luck with basketball...which is why some people say were a volleyball and football school but this year we hope to change that. We've got high expectations from not only ourselves but the community and after last year we hope we dont disappoint.

We jus gotta compete and play as a team and i think we will be good to go.

yeah i was going to say sergey is a good friend of mine and always comes to ball with us when hes home from college and hes gotten A LOT better since highschool.

and hes an all around good guy

and southwood hasnt had the best of luck with basketball...which is why some people say were a volleyball and football school but this year we hope to change that. We've got high expectations from not only ourselves but the community and after last year we hope we dont disappoint.

We jus gotta compete and play as a team and i think we will be good to go.

Are you and Dubuque looking to play at the next level?

Are you and Dubuque looking to play at the next level?

I havent decided yet I kind of want to just be a regular student in college and not have to play basketball and focus on that all year round. But then again i also enjoy doing that I dont think i could ever lose my love for playing so i might.

As far as i know Dubuque isnt and thats for person reasons i believe.

Well, the TRC started the season 1-6. Is this due to weak play or tough opponents? I know Valley and Southwood played pretty solid teams in Warsaw and Peru. What about the other schools? Surprising or expected? Even N. Miami seemed to struggle to put away Lewis Cass.

Current records:

North Miami 2-0

Rochester 1-0

Tippy Valley 1-1

Northfield 1-1

Manchester 1-2

Southwood 0-1

Whitko 0-2

Wabash 0-3

The "surprise" to me thus far in the very young season is Whitko. Wow. What is going on there? And they have Norwell on Friday I believe, which is another toughy.

To say N.M. is the conference favorite would be stretching it quite a bit, watched them play Lewis Cass and they besides Miller they have a couple of kids who can hit three's but not consistent enough to be a threat, Cass went into a 2-3 zone in the second half and cut the warriors lead into half and almost came back and won the game. If NM cant get miller the ball game over.

As far as the Zebras go its tough telling, I am going to watch them take on plymouth friday night. They beat culver by 7 i think last night and the Meadows kid had 26, Look for him to step up and big up some of the slack left behind by Grimm. Also, Colin Harris, Evan Hoff, and Marc Bowers should be key players. The Zebras also return a player that was not on their roster last year 6'7 Nathan Sewell who should be an inside presence for the Z's.

I went to Caston and saw NM play. I thought Caston would be somewhat decent after winning their sectional and returning Rigney (sp?) but man was I wrong. Just from that one game that I have seen NM play I would say that #24 (I think) has a very awkward shot but it does go in so you have to respect him. he hit 5 three's against Caston. We all know about Greg Miller. Caston played a 2-3 the entire 1st half and Miller started off floating around the outside pulling jumpers. He might have hit one but struggled early then went inside and did some work. They fed him inside with ease and he did alot of damage. Then he floated back outside and had a decent game. Also, I liked watching #15 play. He's tall and lanky and runs the floor well. I thought he played pretty physical inside and got alot of easy buckets down low. As for the rest of their team somebody needs to step up. #3 and #20 won't shoot. NM has great height which I thought they used to their advantage. But overall I think the TRC should be pretty competitive.

As for Rochester.....what happened there? A win is a win but Culver must have played one heck of a game. How does Bauer go off for 35?! I coached the Stevens kid a couple of summers ago and I could tell that that kid was going to be a player. I think Rochester will be just fine this year as they have been for the past couple of years. They've got plenty of talent back.

What I don't understand is all the hype at Whitko?

Some people say both Irwin and VanDewater are great college prospects, D1 some would say. I just don't see it on the court. These guys have not been able to lead their team to victories, and that is what it is all about. So either these guys are really over-hyped, or the coaching there is suspect. I don't know.

Watched the Zebras play last night, the boys had 19 turnovers and lost 59-57 the thing is i thought they looked good at times other then throwing the ball away they can be a real solid team, as far as throwing the ball away zebraboiler and i know from experience malchow will have that ran out of them by noon today anyway meadows is one heck of a shooter and the bowers kid had 17 points i think he has a nice touch from the outside. As for the rest of the team hoff only got three three's off which i think in big games hes going to need to be something like 3-4 or 4-5 from behind the arc to really help the z's. Like I have been telling people lately the loss of Grimm really hurt the Z's but not in the way people thing, ya he was a big time scorer but the Z's have scoring what they miss is his unbelieveable ball handling skills and the ability to cut through defenses.

Southwood has started the season 0-3. Coach John Burrus was very emotional on the radio Friday night. I hope the Knights can turn it around and put this 0-3 start in the rear view mirror. They have an abundance of talent. With a multitude of offensive weapons, Playing defense will be the key to getting this thing turned in the right direction.

0-3 may look bad, but Peru and Dwenger are both pretty solid 3A programs. Southwood really hasn't lost anything yet. Hopefully by the start of TRC play they have the kinks ironed out, although bluntly, I am shocked that they aren't firing on all cylinders right away.

Peru is a good 3A team and Dwenger is Dwenger, I do not know very much about Mississinewa. I can see looking at their early season schedule is tough, but if they expect to be the team they are suppose to be you would think they wouldn't have three double digit losses. With the exception of Dwenger the other two should have been close and yes free throws play a part in late games but they trailed Peru by 10-12 the whole second half. As for the Miss. game I do not know what happened their, from what I heard it was a bit of a shocker. Stauffer is a solid post presence and Krhin is an unbelievable athlete and I heard they had a guard move in from Marion? Anyway, their next five games are very very winnable against the Wabash County schools and also Eastern, but this team has a lot to show people in the next few weeks, as of right now it looks like NM could capture the sectional crown again even though they are down from last year they still have Mr. Miller. With that said I think Lewis Cass could be a dark horse in this sectional, watched them give North Miami a game and that was without the 6'7 300 pounder in the middle and Brody Edgerly who is a 3 year starter.

On a side note big games of the week:

Plymouth goes to Valley Tuesday night.

Warsaw comes to Rochester Friday night look to see a much improved and less turnover prone Zebra team after Friday nights effort.

Edited by ZebraCannon34

As of Saturday night-

THREE RIVERS

ALL TIMES EASTERN

TEAMS WITH FULL SCHEDULES IN BOLD

CONF AG OA DA AM STREAK Next Game

North Miami 0- 0 3- 0 68.0 53.3 14.7 Won 3 Triton (3-0)

Tippecanoe Valley 0- 0 2- 1 52.7 51.0 1.7 Won 2 Plymouth (2-1)

Rochester 0- 0 1- 1 57.0 55.0 2.0 Lost 1 Winamac (1-2)

Manchester 0- 0 1- 2 56.7 65.3 -8.7 Won 1 @ Wawasee (2-0)

Northfield 0- 0 1- 2 43.3 45.0 -1.7 Lost 1 @ Bluffton (2-0)

Whitko 0- 0 1- 2 56.7 67.0 -10.3 Won 1 @ C. Noble (0-3)

Southwood 0- 0 0- 3 54.0 74.0 -20.0 Lost 3 Eastern (2-0)

Wabash 0- 0 0- 4 52.5 75.0 -22.5 Lost 4 Maconaquah (1-1)

*Info can be found at the Ihsaa.org website and is where I obtained this info.

Edited by ZebraCannon34

Ny take after watching North Miami - Triton last night...

Miller is a stud! When he got the ball he was nearly unstoppable! He has great touch anywhere from 5' to 15-18'. He will get his 25 points a night! I believe he had 35-38 last night. Refs let 'em bang around inside all night long. It takes a solid body - or two - to handle Miller.

Problem was that he didn't have much help. NM only got 16-18 pts from others. Triton played a tight man defense. It appeared that NM was pretty worn out by the 4th quarter even though they played a 3-2 zone virtually the entire game.

Like I said, refs let 'em play! No one in foul trouble except Triton's Austin Davis, who was trying to slow down Miller. Kudos to Blake Lemler who played half the JV game and then hammered away at Miller for a couple quarters in the varsity contest!

Good win for Triton. North Miami needs to find some additional scoring. Maybe they were just off last night.