Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Valparaiso
  • Wash. Twp.
  • Ex-player

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

These figures are from 1991-2008 and are directly from the sports information director of the IHSAA. As you can clearly see, attendance has gone down hundreds of thousands per year after multi-class and this all happened literally from the moment or year multi-class took effect. Some say, "kids have more to do now" but that doesn't explain going down 352k fans in one year........impossible.

Year Total Series

Attendance

2008 427,974
2007 456,960
2006 474,881
2005 497,266
2004 475,023
2003 474,088
2002 438,430
2001 457,010
2000 387,710
1999 429,140
1998 434,752(first year multi-class -352,728 fans in one year)

1997 786,024 (last season of single class)
1996 786,852
1995 812,859
1994 775,670
1993 839,545
1992 861,124

Now there may have been a very small percentage of fans dropping off during single class but this is literally a difference of hundreds of thousands of fans. The worst season in single class was 1994 775,670 and even if you take the BEST multi-class season that is a difference of 278,404 fans....oh my lanta. :o
BRING EM' FAST, BRING EM' SLOW, IN THE END THE WIN COLUMN THEY WILL GO.

#2 Howe

Howe

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Union County
  • Fan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Interesting statistics vikingnation. Class basketball has certainly had an effect on attendance.

#3 SAVEME

SAVEME

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

I'm guessing your outrage is directly linked to the fact that Valpo hasn't won as much in the tournament lately.

#4 LHS-1

LHS-1

JV Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Interesting statistics vikingnation. Class basketball has certainly had an effect on attendance.

The IHSAA have made so many dumb changes since the start of class sports
it's not even funny. For those of us who played before class, I wish these kids
could have had the opportunity to win in the Hatchet House like we did, but Class
sports is all they know and they wouldn't understand. Not knocking the accomplishments
of today's teams, but class has ruined Indiana basketball!

Edited by LHS-1, 10 February 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#5 vikingnation

vikingnation

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Valparaiso
  • Wash. Twp.
  • Ex-player

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

I'm guessing your outrage is directly linked to the fact that Valpo hasn't won as much in the tournament lately.

No "outrage" here just posting some FACTS. As far as Valpo is concerned, we're doing ok in class hoops we've won 5 sectional titles (4 in a row) and went to the Final Four in 2004. Besides, I had the opportunity of not only playing at Valparaiso but also one of the smallest schools in the state Washington Twp. my senior year so I have been a part of both worlds. I think you are just attempting to steer the attention off of the statistics because this has nothing to do at all with Valparaiso.

#6 HoosierFan12

HoosierFan12

JV Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Ev. Mater Dei
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

High school basketball is for the young men that are competing. Not for us fans or for the money. Class basketball gives every school a chance at competing. Why have a school with 200 compete against a school with 4,900? I grew up in a small town in a different state and played basketball at a tiny school. Back then we had 3 classes and we were a member of class 1A and I will never forget the memories of competing in the state tournament. We made a great run to make it far in our class. We didn't stand a chance against the big 3A powerhouses. High school athletics are for the athletes... not the fans.

#7 looglions96

looglions96

Assistant Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

I disagree with the notion that you don't stand a chance. Small schools proved over and over again that it is possible to make a deep run in a single class tournament. Loogootee went to the state finals in 1970, state runner-up in 1975 and made deep tournament runs to the semi-state in 1988 & 1990. Other small schools in our area can stake the same claims such as the Washington Catholic Cardinals who made deep tournament runs to the semi-state two years in a row in the early 1990's. I'm sure there are lots of schools in northern Indiana that have examples as well. The abovementioned teams would all still argue that if some breaks went their way they could have gotten even further if not won it all. Obviously, the 70 & 75 teams of LHS could say that, but ask W.C. if they didn't think they had the talent to get to state. If you can make it to the Sweet 16 in a single class system, then there is a good chance you could win it all. I'm not going to say that the accomplishments under the multi-class system should be diminished. They have to play under the set rules that is laid out before them, but to say you don't stand a chance against larger schools just isn't true. And this is coming from someone who went to a school who had amazing success in the single class system and has benefited from the class system as well.

#8 Lagote74

Lagote74

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Loogootee
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

I disagree with the notion that you don't stand a chance. Small schools proved over and over again that it is possible to make a deep run in a single class tournament. Loogootee went to the state finals in 1970, state runner-up in 1975 and made deep tournament runs to the semi-state in 1988 & 1990. Other small schools in our area can stake the same claims such as the Washington Catholic Cardinals who made deep tournament runs to the semi-state two years in a row in the early 1990's. I'm sure there are lots of schools in northern Indiana that have examples as well. The abovementioned teams would all still argue that if some breaks went their way they could have gotten even further if not won it all. Obviously, the 70 & 75 teams of LHS could say that, but ask W.C. if they didn't think they had the talent to get to state. If you can make it to the Sweet 16 in a single class system, then there is a good chance you could win it all. I'm not going to say that the accomplishments under the multi-class system should be diminished. They have to play under the set rules that is laid out before them, but to say you don't stand a chance against larger schools just isn't true. And this is coming from someone who went to a school who had amazing success in the single class system and has benefited from the class system as well.

Acctually WC had one semi-state team in '91, they lost in regional in '93, but NEDubois made the semi-state in '77 and '84 and in '77 made final 8. Odon which is 1/3rd of North Daviess made it to Final 8 in 1959, losing by 2 in ot to New Albany to barely miss state finals. L&M made it to Final 8 in '85 and WRV made Final 8 in '93. Springs Valley made the Final 4 in 1958, also Loogootee had a Final 8 team in '71 one year after making Final 4 in 1970. Shanendoah was in Final 4 in '84 I believe. Argos in '79. Of all those including Milan who were Final 4 in '53, before becoming State Champs in '54, only Loogootee is only other small school to make it to State Championship game under single class in '75.

Edited by Lagote74, 10 February 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#9 vikingnation

vikingnation

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Valparaiso
  • Wash. Twp.
  • Ex-player

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

The whole point of this is yes class basketball greatly effected "Hoosier Hysteria" as it once was. Besides the Indy 500, Indiana was greatly known for this phenomenon and that gem has been stolen. Some things are worth fighting for and should be sacred enough to not just throw away for the sake of some smaller schools wanting door prizes. This debate is over as far as I am concerned because this was supposed to be a 2 year trial period after which time the coaches and players were polled and were heavily in favor of returning to single class. If this tournament was and is for the players and or coaches they also were ignored...... players, coaches and fans have all spoken and the defense rests.

Edited by vikingnation, 10 February 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#10 Howe

Howe

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Union County
  • Fan

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

Shanendoah was in Final 4 in '84 I believe.

Shenandoah defeated Howe in a double overtime thriller to reach the final four in 1981.

Edited by Howe Academy, 10 February 2009 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users