Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staxawax

Anderson Mulls Closure of Wigwam

25 posts in this topic

Operating costs skyrocketing

Historians everywhere are shuttering at this possibility. Me included. But, how do you overcome over $348,000 in operating costs?

The Wigwam was Carmel's nemesis in the late 60's. We finally won a sectional in '66 but every trip to Anderson came up a loser....... until 1970. I always enjoyed the gymnasium though, as nice as I thought Carmel had it, this place was/is huge! I hope somehow they find a way to keep playing there.

Love covering/watching games in the Wigwam. Hopefully they can trim the budget in other places in order to keep it operational.

How is attendance at Anderson these days? If the Wigwam still regularly sells out where are the Indians going to play if it closes? This is what happens when public school corporations are taken over and run by bean counters.

Edited by Muda69

They are wanting to combine Highland and Anderson High. Just my speculation, but I would guess Highland HS wins and would be where the students attend and play their sports.

They are wanting to combine Highland and Anderson High. Just my speculation, but I would guess Highland HS wins and would be where the students attend and play their sports.

I had heard the opposite and Highland was going to close. I think that only because I have heard a lot of talk about what the Olympic Conference will do if its left with three teams after Highland closes, if indeed that is the school that "loses"

The Wigwam is huge but I question annual utility costs of $348,417 which is $29,034 per month?

The Wigwam is huge but I question annual utility costs of $348,417 which is $29,034 per month?

For cripes sake, someone flip the lights off if you're the last one to leave! :rolleyes:

Lights, heating, water, city sewer bills...all add up. The Wigwam was built nearly 50 years ago...I wonder what type of insulation it has. I am not sure of the situation, but it sounds like the Wigwam is only used for basketball events and is not regularly used as part of the schools PE program. If it is a stand alone building that is only used for basketball practices and games...and the drag on the budget is that high, as much tradtion as it has, the community should not expect the school system to maintain it. If the people of Anderson want to maintain it...they shouuld organize a non-profit organization to operate and maintain the building, enter into a usage agreement with the Anderson schools during basketball season and take part of the gate for upkeep....but remove it from the schools responsiblity. Wonder if anyone has thought of that. With the cut in state support most school systems are facing a major shortfall next year all things have to be on the table.

Ya know that's a good idea. It'd be a darn shame to see the thing go.

And its not just the utilities. With a building of that size and age, you are faced with leaking roof, replacing bleachers, doors, restroom facilities, ceiling tiles, light bulbs, refinishing the hardwood every couple years, painting, maintaining the parking lot, landscaping, mowing, the staff of custodians needed to do all this, concession equipment, on and on and on, and it will only get worse as it gets older.

I too hate to see it go, but the expense number does not sound exaggerated to me.

I am not sure of the situation, but it sounds like the Wigwam is only used for basketball events and is not regularly used as part of the schools PE program.

I believe that is the case. Frankfort's Case Arena is about as old as the Wigwam, but it's till used for PE and myriad other events during the year.

So what's the chance that they would/could build something that big to replace it? If I remember correctly it's the second-biggest gym in the land.

In 2004 Butler University estimated $190,000 annual utility expenses for Hinkle Fieldhouse. Hinkle Fieldhouse is much older and larger than the Wigwam yet only half the utility expenses. I would recommend auditing the utility providers.

http://www.facilityplanners.com/pubs/pres/...ibility2004.pdf

Vincennes is facing the same problem. Adams Coliseum seats about 5000 and is currently the middle school gym. A new middle school is being built next to the high school and that will leave Adams unused. It was built in 1926 I believe.

It appears to be in very good shape. I was last in it in 2000.

From a historical perspective, I guess I can see why people want to save it, but I wish the thing would have just fell down a long time ago. It's a cess hole. Sorry. I'm just a hater.

They cant do this I havent been there yet! Do they still do the dance thing at the begining? I guess I better get there soon!

Coach Hecklinski was on with Dan Dakich on 1070-AM today talking about the Wigwam and the situation there. I only caught the last few minutes, but he said how he goes to AAU tournaments across the country and always gets asked about the Wigwam and such.

Hopefully, they figure out a way to save the Wigwam, but not at the cost of cutting funding to education activities.

I can't believe we have reached a day where a true Hoosier Treasure is in danger of being shut down. Class basketball killed Hoosier Hysteria and now it's threatening to claim 1 of the true gems of our state. I shutter to think if this is possible in Anderson, it's possible in any other N.C.C. town.

$30,000 a month????

It is a amazing that the gyms at Butler, Washington, New Castle, Laf Jeff, Seymor, Southridge, Kokomo and Richmond are able to stay open.... I'm calling schenanegans in there somewhere.

$30,000 a month????

It is a amazing that the gyms at Butler, Washington, New Castle, Laf Jeff, Seymor, Southridge, Kokomo and Richmond are able to stay open.... I'm calling schenanegans in there somewhere.

I don't know about Kokomo or Richmond, and Hinkle Fieldhouse is in a university setting which puts it in a whole different playing field. But at Washington, New Castle, and Seymour the gyms are an integral part of the school, not stand alone structures with no educational usage. At Washington the gym is the core of a classroom complex...the outer hallways on the first and second floors are classroom areas and the gym itself is used for P.E. classes during the school day. Southridge is the one example of a stand alone structure...the gym in Huntingburg was built beside the old Huntingburg High School...when the 1960's mergers took place and Southridge High School was created the school was built south of Huntingburg...but the gym was left in place and used for basketball events. In Huntingburg there are organized non-school groups which help raise money for the maintaining and repair of the gym...so the burden does not fall entirely on the local school system. The Wigwam seems to be a unique situation. Southridge seems to be the one place where there is a similar situation. Perhaps the folks in Anderson should contact the Southridge people and see how they handle the situation.

I don't know about Kokomo or Richmond, and Hinkle Fieldhouse is in a university setting which puts it in a whole different playing field.

Kokomo's Memorial Gymnasium (built 1948) is a stand alone structure, although it is right across the street from a middle school (used to be the old KHS building). Not sure whether the middle school uses it for P.E. or not.

I can't believe we have reached a day where a true Hoosier Treasure is in danger of being shut down. Class basketball killed Hoosier Hysteria and now it's threatening to claim 1 of the true gems of our state. I shutter to think if this is possible in Anderson, it's possible in any other N.C.C. town.

Class basketball? Are you nuts? Is class baseball what doomed Yankee Stadium? Did class basketball force the closure of Delco Remy, and thus Madison Heights and possibly soon Highland? Time marches on and buildings become obsolete. The Reds are in their third building since the Wigwam and Memorial Gym opened. Blame it on poor planning or poor management but leave class basketball out of it.

Kokomo's Memorial Gymnasium (built 1948) is a stand alone structure, although it is right across the street from a middle school (used to be the old KHS building). Not sure whether the middle school uses it for P.E. or not.

Memorial is used by the middle school, although I'm not sure what will become of the middle school in Kokomo's restructuring of facilities. There also is a swimming pool attached to Memorial but the school shut it down recently and it will become obsolete very quickly with no water in it. Other than that there have been no rumblings here about the future of Memorial Gym.

Class basketball? Are you nuts? Is class baseball what doomed Yankee Stadium? Did class basketball force the closure of Delco Remy, and thus Madison Heights and possibly soon Highland? Time marches on and buildings become obsolete. The Reds are in their third building since the Wigwam and Memorial Gym opened. Blame it on poor planning or poor management but leave class basketball out of it.

I'm not sure a building that was renovated in 2002 could be considered "obsolete". It's the single-purpose structure thing, along with sky rocketing energy costs, that is doing it in.

Yankee Stadium? Sportsguy, you can come up with a 100 better examples.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0