Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimmie98

Official questions

300 posts in this topic

Is there someone on this site like Bobref on the other site who answers questions for people that do not understand a call?

If not we should get one going. Not that I think I am as good as Bobref but between all the officials on this forum we should be able to answer a lot of questions.

Edited by Jimmie98

eh i'll help you out where I can

All right! We can make this thread the official place to go when you have a question about a play or situation. Thanks stripes.

Maybe Bobref should get his stripes on for the winter...

Show some multi-talented officiating skills..lol

Not a ? about a call, but your opinion as refs will do. Has any move been made to take the timeouts out of the hands of the coaches and back on to the floor where they belong? Nothing more iritating than to see good defense negated by coaches instead of the kids on the floor.

Not a ? about a call, but your opinion as refs will do. Has any move been made to take the timeouts out of the hands of the coaches and back on to the floor where they belong? Nothing more iritating than to see good defense negated by coaches instead of the kids on the floor.

Is your question whether only eligible players can make a time out call and not just coaches? The new rule book this year states

Rule 5 section 8

Time out Occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:

Art. 3... Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:

A. The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.

B. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required.

So if that was your question than the coach can still call a timeout. So as of right now if the coach of the team on offense wants to call a timeout than they do have that right. That being said it is not always easy for officials to hear it in intense game situations when the coach is on the other end of the court. Good officials know the situations to listen for such requests though.

Edited by Jimmie98

Good officials know the situations to listen for such requests though.

Yes, and good coaches know that officials here them better when the coach isn't yelling all the time. Eventually they have to tune out some of the constant whining!

Edited by GF/ND

Have the rules changed this year regarding injured players? In the two games that I've been to this year, a girl has been injured resulting in a stoppage of play but, instead of being pulled from the contest, has stayed in the game. Is this a rule change?

Have the rules changed this year regarding injured players? In the two games that I've been to this year, a girl has been injured resulting in a stoppage of play but, instead of being pulled from the contest, has stayed in the game. Is this a rule change?

The rule change for substitution due to injury is the time allowed to replace the player.

The new rule is you only have 20 seconds to replace the player once they are off the court so coaches do not use this as a time out.

The rule your question is:

Rule 3 Section 3 Article 5:

A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

So in response to your question it just depends on the situation. Each case is different, was there a time-out, did the coach have to come onto the floor?

Hope this helps.

Can we pin this thread Dave ?

Yes

The rule change for substitution due to injury is the time allowed to replace the player.

The new rule is you only have 20 seconds to replace the player once they are off the court so coaches do not use this as a time out.

The rule your question is:

Rule 3 Section 3 Article 5:

A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

So in response to your question it just depends on the situation. Each case is different, was there a time-out, did the coach have to come onto the floor?

Hope this helps.

In one case yes. In one case no.

In one case yes. In one case no.

Without seeing the actual situation I can not say. Now you know the what is supposed to happen according to the book. In this case the officials I'm sure had something said or happen on the court that not everyone in the stands can hear to make their decision.

How is the following handled:

A player plays in 2 qtrs during the JV game. During the Varsity game the player is played during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs and the game goes into overtime. Is this player allowed to play in the overtime or has the player used all of his five qtrs.

The overtime is an extension of fourth quarter ... any player who is eligible to play in the fourth quarter is allowed to play in the overtime.

The overtime is an extension of fourth quarter ... any player who is eligible to play in the fourth quarter is allowed to play in the overtime.

Thanks for the help!

Just for fun, lets see how many NON officials can answer this.

Did a game this weekend and one team was in foul trouble. I believe the coach knew the answer but just wanted to see what I would say with this question.

I am trying to save quarters, can I play with only four players if I want?

So the question is, if you have 7 eligible players on the bench as the coach did, can you only play four to save quarters for the varsity game?

Just for fun, lets see how many NON officials can answer this.

Did a game this weekend and one team was in foul trouble. I believe the coach knew the answer but just wanted to see what I would say with this question.

I am trying to save quarters, can I play with only four players if I want?

So the question is, if you have 7 eligible players on the bench as the coach did, can you only play four to save quarters for the varsity game?

As Old Hatchet mentioned to me another part to the question.

What if the other players in the book for the JV game have already gone into the locker room, are they still considered bench personnel?

Should the game refs be involed in the determination of who can play in the OT?

Should the game refs be involed in the determination of who can play in the OT?

If there is question the refs would simply refer to the official book for amount of quarters plyed and go off of that. There is no judgment involved in this situation, it is all right there for you.

I was watching my daughter's game last night and had an unusual play come up. This was a 7th and 8th grade twin bill so they had four officials there. I sat in the dressing room with all four of them and none of them could come up with the answer.

Jump ball, possesion arrow gives the ball to A. A fails to inbound the ball and gets a five second call. Does the possesion arrow change?

The rule on number of quarters a player can use a night is an IHSAA by-law and not in the jurisdiction of game officials. If a school violates the rule the penalty is assessed from the IHSAA in the form of probation/suspension/fines. Referees would never get involved in ruling a player ineligible or not.

Cartman - When a throw in team makes a violation on the alternating possession throw in, that is their throw in and the arrow changes. However - if the other team violates (EX: kicks the throw in pass), or either team fouls during the throw in then the arrow would stay with Team A

If you start with 5 and someone fouls out you can finish with 4,3,2, etc. however if you have eligible players on the bench 5 must play, a coach can't play 4 if he chooses to do so if he has an eligible player on the bench