Assistant Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Forest Park
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just wanted to know if you think any of these 8 undefeated teams have a chance to stay unbeaten before the state tournement begins!

Merrillville (11-0) - Merrillville's 3 closest games this year have been by 7 points to Laporte,Michigan City, and Crown Point. 2 of their next 4 games will be against Mich. City (6-6) and Crown Point(9-2) at home. The premier matchup may be on feb. 5th though when they host Munster(11-0). If they get by those 3 teams, Merrillville's only other opponent that could test them could be Valpraiso (9-3). Valpo lost to Merrillville by 14 earlier. This game is at Valpo.

Munster(11-0) - Munster's 2 closest games have been to Warren Central and Michigan City where they won by 8 and 6 respectively. Before the big matchup with Merrillvile on feb. 5th, they could get tested at home against Valpraiso(9-3). If they can pickup wins over Valpo and Merrillville, their biggest challenge could be at home in their last game vs. SB Riley (11-2).

Indpls. Cathedral (10-0) - Cathedral has won 5 games by 9 or less with the closest coming by 3 at home vs. Broad Ripple . They are currently playing in the city tourney. assuming they get by Indpls Northwest (7-5) and either Heritage Christian (5-4) or Covenant Christian (9-2), then a rematch could occur with Broad Ripple (11-2) on Jan. 22nd. If Cathedral can win the city tourney, stiff challenges could be possible their last 3 games against TH North (12-1), Park Tudor (13-2) , and Center Grove (12-2) . The 1st being at home and the latter 2 on the road.

Leo (12-0) - Leo has been tested 3 times this year. They beat Southern Wells(4-7) by 6, New Haven by 2, and Harding by 1. Their next game is against Southern Wells at home. If they get by Southern Wells, their biggest challenges could be against Whitko (9-2) , Norwell (10-1) , and Bluffton (8-3) . All 3 games are on the road .

Forest Park (12-0) - FP has had 3 close calls this year. They beat highly touted Washington by 5, Brownstown by 4, which is their only loss, and South Spencer by 3. Also beat previously unbeaten North Posey in Poseyville by 15. FP has some stiff challenges ahead starting with rival Jasper (7-4) on the road . If they can survive Jasper, another county rival (Southridge) will visit FP. Southridge is only 5-5 but has missed their leading scorer Austin Rasche several games. He may be back for this one . I would think Boonville (9-3) would be the other stiff challenge for FP.

Eastern Greene (11-0) - Eastern Greene really hasn't been challenged this year with their closest game being 15 points I believe to Clay City. Their schedule hasn't been real strong to date. That may change with a game coming up on Jan. 29th at Bedford North Lawrence (10-2) . BNL may be without 6-8 Wright State recruit Alex Pritchett who has been hurt. The other 2 challengers that could pose as a threat could be Martinsville (7-4) and North Daviess (10-3). Both are on the road.

Westview (12-0) - Westview has won 2 games by 6. Northwood and Lakeland were the opponents. Their closest though was a 3 point overtime victory against Northridge. Their stiffest challenge could come at Wawasee (7-4) in their 3rd last game of the season. 2 others could be at home against Fremont (8-4) and on the road against Concord (7-4) .

Hammond Noll (11-0) - Hammond Noll's closest game was to Bowman Academy , where they won by a single point. 2 other close games were to Hammond Morton winning by 3 and Wheeler by 4. They are currently playing in the Greater South Shore Tourney and could meet Wheeler again on Jan. 22nd . games left against teams with respectable records are Whiting (9-2) on the road, Valpraiso (9-3) at home, EC Central (9-3) at home, and Andrean (6-3) at home. EC Central has already beat one of southern Indiana's top teams in Castle.

It looks like all of these teams have some stiff challenges ahead but IMO if any of these teams go undefeated , I think it will be Merrillville but Munster will have something to say about that. If it's not Merrillville then Munster could accomplish the feat. Also , I think that Eastern Greene has a legitimate shot, especially if Pritchet is out for Bedford North Lawrence. Watching Forest Park, I think they are capable but it will be very tough.

#2 stymie

stymie

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Eastern (G)
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

Eastern Greene will be challenged with road games at BNL, Martinsville, and North Daviess. Also they have 4 conference games remaining and we all know how those games go, just look at the Big Ten lately. THey will also have South Knox a sectional rival. They are leading the state in winning margin at 29 pts per game and will see some challenges down the ROAD.

#3 sectional 18

sectional 18

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Rensselaer
  • Crown Point
  • Fan

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

I hope both Munster and Merriville are undefeated when they meet, I will sure be in attendance for that one!!!!

#4 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Cathedral has a very young team and a very tough schedule, especially late in the season.
I sure would like to see them remain undefeated through the Indianapolis City Tourney though.
Coach Andy Fagan has done an outstanding job with this group!!!!
Try never to absolutize the periphery!

#5 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

You can mark Cathedral off the list. Northwest 69, Cathedral 62 today in the Indianapolis City Tourney.

#6 jhswildcat79

jhswildcat79

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Jasper
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

is northwest that good or did cathedral have a bad game.

#7 PHJIndy

PHJIndy

Head Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

is northwest that good or did cathedral have a bad game.

Cathedral had a terrible game. Cathedral beat Northwest by 12 just 3 weeks ago and had a 20+ point lead most of that game. You have to remember that Cathedral is very young. Only two seniors played today and the guards are both sophmores. The young guards had a tough day today and a lot of it was due to Northwest jumping the passing lanes.
Cathedral had a 6 point lead in the 4th quarter and had the ball twice and failed to score. IMO that was the turning point of the game.

#8 colt45

colt45

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

Cathedral had a terrible game. Cathedral beat Northwest by 12 just 3 weeks ago and had a 20+ point lead most of that game. You have to remember that Cathedral is very young. Only two seniors played today and the guards are both sophmores. The young guards had a tough day today and a lot of it was due to Northwest jumping the passing lanes.
Cathedral had a 6 point lead in the 4th quarter and had the ball twice and failed to score. IMO that was the turning point of the game.

turnovers were a huge minus for the irish. my irish did not rebound very well either. they started the game very flat and the pioneers had more pep in their step. seemed to want it more from the opening tip. we did not look like we rsn the press break very well. lesson learned, i hope. grow young irish grow.

#9 colt45

colt45

Indiana All-Star

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • I. Cathedral
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Fan

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

i thought northwest played well.

#10 PHJIndy