• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Avon
  • Carmel
  • Fan

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Operating costs skyrocketing

Historians everywhere are shuttering at this possibility. Me included. But, how do you overcome over $348,000 in operating costs?

The Wigwam was Carmel's nemesis in the late 60's. We finally won a sectional in '66 but every trip to Anderson came up a loser....... until 1970. I always enjoyed the gymnasium though, as nice as I thought Carmel had it, this place was/is huge! I hope somehow they find a way to keep playing there.

#2 boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk

Athletic Director

• Referee
  • 1,420 posts
  • FW North
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Media

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Love covering/watching games in the Wigwam. Hopefully they can trim the budget in other places in order to keep it operational.

#3 Muda69

Muda69

Assistant Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Maconaquah
  • Mississinewa
  • Media

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

How is attendance at Anderson these days? If the Wigwam still regularly sells out where are the Indians going to play if it closes? This is what happens when public school corporations are taken over and run by bean counters.

Edited by Muda69, 08 February 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Frankfort High School: 4 Time State Men's Basketball Champions '25 '29 '36 '39

#4 staxawax

staxawax

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • 1,063 posts
  • Avon
  • Carmel
  • Fan

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

They are wanting to combine Highland and Anderson High. Just my speculation, but I would guess Highland HS wins and would be where the students attend and play their sports.

#5 boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk

Athletic Director

• Referee
  • 1,420 posts
  • FW North
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Media

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

They are wanting to combine Highland and Anderson High. Just my speculation, but I would guess Highland HS wins and would be where the students attend and play their sports.

I had heard the opposite and Highland was going to close. I think that only because I have heard a lot of talk about what the Olympic Conference will do if its left with three teams after Highland closes, if indeed that is the school that "loses"

#6 Howe

Howe

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • 1,753 posts
  • T.C Howe Academy
  • Union County
  • Fan

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

The Wigwam is huge but I question annual utility costs of $348,417 which is $29,034 per month?

#7 boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk

Athletic Director

• Referee
  • 1,420 posts
  • FW North
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Media

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

The Wigwam is huge but I question annual utility costs of $348,417 which is $29,034 per month?

For cripes sake, someone flip the lights off if you're the last one to leave! :rolleyes:

#8 OldHatchet

OldHatchet

Athletic Director

• Indiana All-Star
  • 1,091 posts
  • Washington
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Alumni

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Lights, heating, water, city sewer bills...all add up. The Wigwam was built nearly 50 years ago...I wonder what type of insulation it has. I am not sure of the situation, but it sounds like the Wigwam is only used for basketball events and is not regularly used as part of the schools PE program. If it is a stand alone building that is only used for basketball practices and games...and the drag on the budget is that high, as much tradtion as it has, the community should not expect the school system to maintain it. If the people of Anderson want to maintain it...they shouuld organize a non-profit organization to operate and maintain the building, enter into a usage agreement with the Anderson schools during basketball season and take part of the gate for upkeep....but remove it from the schools responsiblity. Wonder if anyone has thought of that. With the cut in state support most school systems are facing a major shortfall next year all things have to be on the table.

#9 Stephen

Stephen

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Fountain Cent.
  • Rockville
  • Alumni

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Ya know that's a good idea. It'd be a darn shame to see the thing go.

Posted Image

U.S. Army Aviation

#10 HoBCat

HoBCat

Frosh Coach

• Indiana All-Star
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Warsaw
  • --HIGH SCHOOLS--
  • Ex-player

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

And its not just the utilities. With a building of that size and age, you are faced with leaking roof, replacing bleachers, doors, restroom facilities, ceiling tiles, light bulbs, refinishing the hardwood every couple years, painting, maintaining the parking lot, landscaping, mowing, the staff of custodians needed to do all this, concession equipment, on and on and on, and it will only get worse as it gets older.

I too hate to see it go, but the expense number does not sound exaggerated to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users